Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I also had really enjoyed the improvements to many of the cars in the beta but in the full version, they all felt a bit off. My first few races in the full version were online, so I thought that might have been affecting it but when I tried the cars offline, and then compared them directly with the beta, they definitely didn't feel right. So I tried deleting the Automobilista 2 folder in Documents and thankfully, everything feels as it should now. That's with a Logitech G29.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Janitormentor

Janitormentor Active Member

Tested GT1 cars and drove in Spa 22. Qualify was dry (got pole) and race was mostly wet but not raining. Well to my conclusion wet tires needs some work or Ai needs to be slower on wet conditions. I was sliding both dry and wet tires. AI just cruising past me. Slicks didn't get any heat and was 30-40 degrees celsius and wet tires overheated. Where is intermediate tires? Is it not historically accurate?

3. Manbird12000

Manbird12000 Active Member

There's a freeze problem that's driving me absolutely crazy. Precisely 10 minutes into any session, race, test day, with AI or solo, VR or flatscreen, the screen freezes for 10 seconds as my car continues in a straight line off the track or into a wall. It doesn't matter what time of day I pick, which track or car..when in-game and I start my stop watch, at exactly 10 minutes, it freezes for 10 seconds and then resumes. If you add a time multiplier to the session, say 2x, it happens at xx:20. Meaning that it still happens 10 minutes into a session. Pausing the game for 1 minute also delays the freeze by 1 minute. What could be causing this?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
  4. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

I just read people talking about blocking users. I was not here too much in the last like 36 hours due to work, but I could guess who was the one they were blocking. I was right.

Do not feed the troll. Que vaya a cantarle a Gardel.

5. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Here's the strange thing. I never got any of this Vibration on Default+ on the F-Junior in 1.48. I didn't hear much about it tbh either and I read these forums a lot. All I was hearing was universal praise for the F-Junior which I agreed with. Ran Monaco at night for hours in the F-Junior. In fact, that was pretty much ALL I was doing once the F-Junior was introduced (apart from the odd trip to Kyalami Historic in the Brabham bt26a).

I can only assume it was talked about on Beta forums or perhaps FFB specific thread or something. Either way, I didn't have it because I hate vibration. Any Vibration (like that road noise effect) is the first thing I try to tune out. So to me, the F-Junior was perfect in 1.48 with none of this vibration. With 1.5, F-Junior became bland and numb using same settings from 1.48.

I don't have OneDrive in operation either so that wasn't to blame. Luckily I am now using a custom FFB with vibration tuned out and it is doing the job nicely but its probably impossible for them to tune this thing (Default+) to please everyone because everyone's expectations ,experience and equipment seems so varied.

Thank goodness there is custom FFB file support. I never bothered with most of them because they all seemed flooded with this excessive road noise rattle which I hate, but decided to just tune it out somewhat now as the Default+ alternative just doesn't cut it anymore. Now its absolutely golden with "Heavy Messing 2.5".

The unfortunate thing is, you have to wonder how many other people have this same issue and then just blame the "physics" and give up. I went from "WTF" with the 1.5 F-Junior to "YES, this is back to fantastic" by just changing the FFB settings I was using. Nothing to do with the underlaying "physics" obviously and yet thats the first thing anyone would be tempted to blame.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried adjusting the tire pressures?
    The optimal pressure for GrC is 1.65-1.7 bar. (24-24.5 psi) Run 3 laps at RA @17c, and adjust, 3 laps, adjust, until the pressures are stable and let me know if it improves.

• Informative Informative x 7
  7. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

They had inters and even more extreme wets in reality but that's true for many classes in AMS 2 that only have full wet tyres, which then have to be used for a very wide range of semi-wet to extremely wet conditions.
    Hopefully more compounds like qualifying tyres and inters are in the cards for a few classes :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Overall a great update as far as car handling and I think there will be smiling faces, but oval behavior needs work as it doesn't feel very enjoyable at all. For one, the way you catch slides seems extremely unrealistic as it is quite easy to catch. The rear steps out to the right and I just casually turn my wheel in that direction and no problem. In reality it is more likely I would be into the wall at Indy.

The Super V8 are the most improved for me. I really enjoy them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Ams2 is becoming great but agreed still tad forgiving

Keep up the good work reiza team & thank you

• Like Like x 1
  10. Colin Wolfe

Colin Wolfe New Member

Screenshot_2023-07-27-20-47-42-77_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg Screenshot_2023-07-27-19-46-38-90_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg here's proof from actually drivers above and sim racers.

Seems I had to make an account just to show you are wrong and probably need a lesson on how to drive the PCup car on rf2. It's not a car to overdrive to get the most out of it. Limited setup option are by design from car manufacturer.

Many complained car is hard to drive because they haven't set it up correct. It needs rear wing to not kill the rears and NOT overdrive too much coming out of corners. Counter steer yes but not full lock you're taking about. Car only dead on LFM because of bad track selection and too long of a race length.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

About the forgiviness of AMS2, do we have some real drivers of high end racing cars stating that?

I have the impression that people believes that, because they have other sims as a reference. The thing is that we actually know from real drivers that usually sims are too unforgiving (iceracing in particular).

It is an actual possibility that AMS2 is too much in the other side, but most of us, simracers have never been on board of an indycar and we just have unforgiving models as points of reference. Saying AMS2 is forgiving is actually stating the model is different in the right direction. Only opinions from real drivers would be evidence that AMS2 moved too much..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm curious to hear real driver feedback just in general. Granted, ideally you need a wider sample set to avoid catering to one driver's specific style.

That said... Even slight changes in tires can make huge changes in driving feel. I know in GR Cup, our driver said he was having to adapt to a stiffer sidewall in the Continentals we run. Another example, I was listening to JR Hilderbrand on one of the recent The-Race IndyCar podcasts talking about testing at Iowa and the minor difference between an unused set of 2016 tires and an updated 2017 set made the car feel completely different. Even saying he couldn't get the same steering feel that he did from the 2016 set that they were used to.

With any sort of simulation, with the narrow band of data that tire manufacturers give, there's a lot of guesswork.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

Vitor Genz, a Brazilian driver, made a stream yesterday on youtube testing the 1.5 physics. While driving the Sigma P1, a car that he has driven professionally in real life, he commented on a particular corner that AMS2 allowed you to take that corner easily with full open wing while in real life that corner was a bit trickier with that car. Or something like that, I don't remember the exact words. He also said that the car was faster in AMS2 than in real life.

Despite those observations he seemed overall very impressed and said that the main characteristics of the car in AMS2 were very close to the real thing. But I didn't watch the full stream so I don't know if he kept the same positive outlook till the end.

• Informative Informative x 10
  14. Colin Wolfe

Colin Wolfe New Member

You can dislike all you want Theo but can't discredit real driver input because you don't like a certain sim

15. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

honestly, Real racers and youtube and race sims. You can find many disparate opinions on the same car, same sim amongst the professionals themselves. I saw some ex GT3, other series racer claim the only good thing about ACC was its graphics, everything else was way off (and this is after the 1.9 update) and then you'll find others with complete opposite opinion.

Being as a great deal of the actual stimuli from REAL racing (G-forces, noise, vibrations etc etc) are missing in SIM racing and each person requires a "different" way to make up for that, its no wonder there are such varying opinions.

In the history of the world , there has never been a sim (or individual cars) unanimously regarded as realistic/accurate/the best and I suspect that will never happen.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  16. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you know if he has even driven AMS2? This was also before the 1.5 update and AMS2 doesn't even have the 992 so you coming here and creating an account to show some random post is a bit odd and a bit concerning.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Shot in the dark, but do you have UDP telemetry enabled? If so, turn it off and see if that's the cause. Could also be a USB or wheel driver/software issue. Consistent 'magic' numbers like every ten minutes, and lasting for 10 seconds are often signs of some sort of timeout or scheduled activity. The fact you can manipulate when it happens by pausing does suggest the trigger is AMS2, so it's a question of what AMS2 is doing during those 10 minutes which it doesn't do when it's paused, and also what doesn't get reset during a pause, but does get reset when you quit the race. If you restart the session (but don't exit back to menu) does the 10 minutes start again, or is it the same as pausing?

18. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

P cup in AMS2 is 2015 model... too old to compare:(

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Colin Wolfe

Colin Wolfe New Member

I'm not coming random. I'm coming from early in post thread the guy saying the car is unrealistic because it's hard when he's had no track time with it.
    AMS2 doesn't have the car so I'm wasn't saying anything about AMS2 until you just said.So nice way to try and change the topic.

Instead someone just saying oh car unrealistic and haven't even driven it IRL. I rather try to show actually people who have driven it in sim and IRL.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So here are the results of my test and my honest opinion (Hockenheim 19C/34C, medium rubber, 1st June, heavy clouds, setup below) :
    • Car is generally on the slippery side. For me to make it enjoyable/efficient to drive you need to add a click of wing and reduce 10 N/mm on the rear ARB
    • The car isn't faster when you slide it grossly quite the opposite (at least not in my hands)
    • Brakes are pretty anemic: I increased the max power to 95% and brought the ABS down to 2 otherwise it feels a bit like a road car by the braking distance
    • The car doesn't like to be forced into the corner if you overcook the turn in: if you do so, be fast with your hands because it will go. Anyway you will lose time with that. You have to be patient initially in the cornering and try and build up the yaw in such a way that it sort of generates a rotating momentum that you can use while powering out of the corners while sort of exciting the corner with nearly no steering angle being applied in the last 20% of the corner: perhaps this is what you identify as sliding, but it is fairly reasonable for a rear engine car. In simple words the rear engined cars will build yaw slower and will get to the exit of the corner with significant accumulated inertia but they can manage it, because when you accelerate the rear wheels gain a big big chunk of weight transfer
    • I reduced the rear tires pressures to 1.60 bars. IMHO the rear left (at Hockenheim, but probably depends on which direction/side is the highest number of corners) baloons perhaps a bit too much. It gets to over 2.00 bars with standard pressures and it is very difficult (if you look at the telemetry) to keep a temperature gradient where the M section is not hotter than the I section
    • The car hates with passion any kerb and it becomes almost completely unresponsive both front and rear while passing over any of them. A bit too much IMHO although it is reasonable to have some chattering over the kerbs especially at the front.
    • Finally in a few laps I went down to 1.43.5 but I am not great in the PCup, surely there are a few seconds more.

upload_2023-7-27_20-53-6.png
    upload_2023-7-27_21-1-48.png
    upload_2023-7-27_21-3-18.png
    upload_2023-7-27_21-4-18.png

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2