Automobilista 2 V1.5 Physics Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Regarding Pendulum effect, I don't have issues with that aside from some minor cases where per-car ffb is not yet optimized. Most of it can be dialed out with minor adjustments to Damping.

Granted, AMS2 ffb settings are bit different than other sims but, the fundamentals of ffb are still the same. The FFB mechanisms at work are incredibly simple if you break down the process. Focus on the constant-force effects, find the balance point where the "Pendulum Effect" does not exist. I tune ffb in AMS2 like any other title; job one is controlling any ffb overshoot (Pendulum effect).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

I have the motion system and I use Buttkicker to simulate the engine vibration and it vibrate the whole chassis which is cool. But the wheel does not need so much vibration...it just need to stop wobbling. The problem is I'm trying to balance between light wobbling and not wobbling. If I remove the wobbling completely...I don't seem to be able to feel the road textures. If I increase the wobbling...I feel the road textures and it is awesome. I don't understand why I have to have it wobbling in order to feel the road textures. Wobbling meaning if i take my hands off the wheel...it starts to shake left and right. I have dd1.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

And I disagree completely. Until I have a full motion rig that works at some super-high resolution and equally good quality FFB pedals and shifter, I would like the feedback from the rear of the car to be fed through my steering wheel since that's the only meaningful feedback and control point I have to work with. Fortunately, there are different FFB profiles for all of us, including fully customizable ones. But the "flavours" that the Default+ offers are perfect for my desire to understand what the car is doing. I have to accept that because the entire driving experience feedback is being funnelled through a single controller, my wheel, the feel of the steering wheel itself cannot be the same as it would be in the real car where I have g-forces and mechanical pedals and shifter attached to the real car and I am only using the steering wheel to steer.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

I agree with the point your making. My point was that we shouldn't compare a sim by saying this sim is not good because it doesn't feel exactly like another sim. I can easily jump from any of the top sims and competently drive in them, eventhough each has it's own quirks all of them like you stated are simulating driving a car and they all do the basics of that well. Which is closest to reality, i dont know. Even asking real world drivers you get a difference in opinion. As I stated before I would have thought that real world telemetry would show which is closest, theres a video idea for those content creators.....

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

That is everywhere, not just Brazil :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you are referring to the fact that both Engine Vibration (especially noticeable when standing still) and Road Effects are linked on the same FX slider, so that you cannot have lots of Road Effects without also having lots of Engine Vibration?

You might have to end up using a Custom FFB file, so that you can dampen the Engine Vibration and increase Road Effects. I've considered this myself, since I also have a motion system, but everytime I've tried Custom FFB I reverted to using Default because I've fallen in love with that flavor.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dosda Pierrick

Dosda Pierrick Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it normal that i can't hear any of the spotter calls in practice or qualification ? only in races

8. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

This is the Physics thread mate;),but yes only in a race.or now as it is a W.I.P.:)

9. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Is it me or do the cars in AMS2 finally feel like PCars2 physics and tire model but with Assetto Corsa style FFB? I enjoyed the physics and tire model in PCars2, to me, it felt the closest to my real world racing experience. Finally the AMS2 cars are starting to feel intuitive to drive, they behave like I would expect them to when pushed to the limit.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I agree with them feeling better, but IMO it’s better than PC2 physics and AC FFB

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

You absolutely do feel vibrations through the wheel in real life, even with power steering. If you drive a car with unbalanced wheels, you can get oscillations too, dependant on the speed, when you hit a certain point the wheel will start to vibrate. If you break grip the front grip, especially if they are driven wheels, you feel it through the wheel. Road surface too.

In fact, the other day my friend needed a lift and we were laughing about a ridiculous road surface they tested on a stretch of road in the north of England; it is SO noisy as the idea was to keep truckers awake. Trust me when I say it is NOT subtle and you can absolutely feel the change in texture, through the wheel, as you drive from that onto the patches where they've resurfaced after realising what a terrible surface it is.

We get the feeling and information from all sources in real life, so it's true that part of the role of a simracing wheel is to give you information that would normally be less pronounced or felt through our squishy behinds, but that doesn't mean that you don't feel any of that through a real life wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dean Ogurek

If I understand you correctly, "Oscillation" is the culprit you describe. Damping and/or Friction are very effective at solving that. How much to apply is generally a matter of trial and error.
    Of course, different steering systems will likely respond differently but, some of it also comes down to personal preference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. TKracer

TKracer Active Member

Been driving a lot since 1.5 and overall it's very much improved but the huge issue for me is the amount of grip coming into a highspeed corner.

In any other sim with a GT3 or F3 car you approach the corner knowing your rear are close to losing grip and if you push that slip angle too far your rears are letting go.

But in AMS2 this never happens, not even when I try to YEET the car in the corner. They all drive like they have unlimited aero grip.

I can just turn into the corner with no fear of losing the rears, only thing that will happens is that I understeer into the corner.

But thats my only issue. The car feels direct and the FFB tells you whats going on, having a damn blast!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

M1 North of Leeds?

15. Dean Ogurek

Yeah, I sometimes really focus on the details I feel through the wheel of my daily driver. It's quite surprising actually, despite the steering being quite dampened. What's harder to determine though, is how much vibration comes through the chassis (steering column brackets) vs the steering system itself.

16. Bizarre Formula

M180 :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bizarre Formula

Yeah, that's exactly what I do too, unless you really focus it is easy not to realise how many different things give you that 'feeling'.

In lower and stiffer cars it can feel like sensory overload, the accelerator becomes scary and the vibrations make the whole world shake even just visually :p.

• Like Like x 1
  18. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Yes, it is oscillation. I have played with the Fanatec wheel settings and can reduce the oscillation to basically no oscillation at all. But like I said...if I do that, I wouldn't be able to feel the road and curb textures as much as I want. It's like you can't have it both way...so there seem to be a balance act that one had to adopt. I even increase the Low force feedbacks on AMS2 settings to the extreme. I'm happy with the feedbacks...it's just the slight few degrees of oscillation that need to be there to feel the textures.

19. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

But this behaviour isn't what a real car in real tires presents? I like 1.5 because a lot of understeer happens now, and not crazy snap oversteer.

It's more easy? I don't know. I believe is equaly hard to run fast, but in a more predictable way.

20. TKracer

TKracer Active Member

Well I don't think its possible to give max steering force to a car with DRS open and still having the rear bite?

Not snap oversteer but I guess you should be able to oversteer into a highspeed corner if you lack the downforce?