Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Well, with AMS2 and it's custom AI especially you can recreate historic series and races, which is just a lot of fun for many people. Of course racing online is the only way to get actual human behavior, but those people don't have the characteristics of Ayrton Senna, Klaus Ludwig or Michael Schumacher, which AMS2 at least tries to recreate.
    There are a lot of people that play the F1 games for example purely for the fantastic single player modes against the AI, which either allow you to role play as a current F1 driver or create your own 11th team on the grid and develop the car race to race, season to season.
    Having something similar to that in AMS2 with more improved AI and the great options to customize it we already have would be a huge selling point in my opinion, but that is probably even further away than the solution to all the multiplayer complains we have.

And don't get me wrong, I am more of a multiplayer fan myself, but I don't agree with downplaying the appeal of a really well-made AI/Offline experience.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not downplaying a really well-made AI/Offline experience. Not everyone has the same experience, that was my whole point.. MP and SP should both be as good as they could be. I started with "I personally don't see". Of course I know that other people have a different opinion. That's why I ended with: "SP and MP should both be as good as they both can be.".

But what do you exactly mean with: "Of course racing online is the only way to get actual human behavior, but those people don't have the characteristics of Ayrton Senna, Klaus Ludwig or Michael Schumacher, which AMS2 at least tries to recreate.".

Do you really think that it will be possible to recreate the characteristics of Ayrton Senna, Klaus Ludwig or Michael Schumacher by AI in AMS2? Of course it would be great to have the AI to be improved even further, but I don't think that these expectations/goals are realistic.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

You also said:
    So you were downplaying the many other benefits of offline racing, so I was explaining some of them to you.
    And reflecting characteristics is very much possible, that is what the whole customization does. Of course, like I already said, only to a degree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

No, again: I introduced this with: "I personally don't see", what followed after that is my subjective experience (the benefits that I see are: "free choices" in track/weather/time/car combi"). That's not downplaying at all. That's just as far as my brain reached regarding that subject.

That you see more possibilities is okay and great of course and I woudn't mind it if these extra feature are added in the future. It's a great idea even imo, I have nothing against that. So I'm not downplaying anything here.

I added for that reason (because I don't know all the benefits that SP CAN offer): "SP and MP should both be as good as they both can be.".

5. Gabriel Andrade Pessoa

Gabriel Andrade Pessoa TotosaLoko

I believe that if we were to make a metaphor, Reiza would be an extensive lake of ice that began to receive an increasing traffic of vehicles, due to the exponential growth of a village around it, with that, now trucks with heavy equipment want to go over it of the lake, but they cannot, due to its weight, this is limiting the growth of the village, at the same time it is risking destroying the lake,
    because even without the trucks, several cracks have already started to appear, that is, a bridge will have to be built, moral of the story, there is no other solution, but to increase staff and hire more programmers. ;)

6. Michael Croshaw

Michael Croshaw Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd be happy with a more stable dedicated server that could cope with 25 player grids without DCing half the group between qualifying and the race. I've been doing a lot of RCO over the past few months and have generally had a great time. But RCO uses the dedicated server and the guy who runs it has had to reduce the grid size to 12 to make it reliable. Just a few improvements here would make a big difference. I've also been playing open lobby a fair bit ( especially the Metz ones ) and they seem more stable than the dedicated server ones. But I've had a very good time in multiplayer AMS2, it's certainly not perfect but it's still very much playable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Because content (car and track modelling) and system coding are different pipelines. Core developments won't be held up much by creating new content.

What people argue is that if Reiza were to lay a big focus on MP, other important core developments, bugfixing and balancing would slow down and suffer probably for a long time. Content creation probably wouldn't be influenced too much.

8. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

IMHO it's a deliberate design decision, which comes across as a bug. Besides inheriting the "no random access" timeline which is the obvious bugbear, the replay system has lots of UI and UX issues such as this one. There's no way by looking at a button to tell if it will cycle through cameras. Will the cycling be random? Why is the chase view part of the onboard group? Why is the button labelled "cockpit" when it's clearly the helmet view? etc etc. Hopefully now that the core driving experience is settling down, some resources can eventually be applied to the replay system.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Never make mistakes ?? They have been making mistakes for many months now with the new function added to them, has it been removed, or was it broken with some recent update ? Last time i tried AI races they were doing mistakes pretty often enough to feel natural and add to the experience.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  11. STV_Robin

STV_Robin Active Member AMS2 Club Member

They still do. Nothing broke or changed with the last update here. Just yesterday AI Ricardo Zonta absolutely binned it going into Barcelona's Turn 7 just ahead of me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Lol. Rhetorical question = "a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer'.
    Not a great defence...

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Djin

Djin Member

I don't know if you guys had the chance to try the Beta of Sophy AI in Gran Turismo 7, but it was really impressive. Sophy is a machine learning AI which can defeat the best players of GT7, but it can also scale down to provide a fair challenge to regular players. Kaz Yamauchi also mentioned that this AI could teach players how to drive with a virtual coach. Forza Motorsport 2023 will also feature this kind of AI (for opponents & penalties).

I also read that GT Revival (next Ian Bell game) will feature AI for commentators and the pit crew.

I'm curious to know if Reiza is exploring new avenues with AI, because machine learning could revolutionize the single-player experience.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

I know you are joking so forgive me for using your post for a "erm achtually" moment, but forums are for debating and discussing various topics around a certain subject matter, in this case the suject matter is AMS2 and the topic is its latest V1.5 update. Yet if one scrolls through the last few pages, it seems to be solely about the merits of multiplayer racing and how AMS2 doesn´t do a good job at it.

Some of you take this forum activism thing way too seriously and seem to believe you are doing important work telling "truth to power", but unfortunately what you are doing is being redundantly repetitive. Nothing that is being said isn´t already known, people are just trying to put extra emphasis on certain issues as if that is what will help it receiving more attention and getting them resolved, but that just isn´t the case - all that it achieves is making a disproportionate amount of noise around a certain issue, provoking people who don´t feel similarly to react against it, and then round in circles we go for pages and pages on end.

When users engage in that sort of thing - and it happens all the the time - they are not contributing to the game development as they may think, but rather dilluting attention to everything else that may be worth attention (positive or negative) and making the forum generally inhospitable for devs and other users to frequent. Unless someone is being outright rude we are not going to ban or suspend users for this kind of behavior, but it would be nice if some of you could grasp that this routine is not only futile, but counter-productive to the game´s development generally. I’ve always been happy to engage with users in the forum, answer questions, try help with issues and offer perspectives for the future while gaining some for myself, but the fact that forum surfing these days often leads to a lot of time spent reading the same stuff and being forced to repeat the same answers already given before makes the whole venture less worthwhile.

By all means, if someone wants to create a multiplayer thread to discuss it (or just to rant against it as an outlet of frustration) they are welcome to; same for AI or any other critical issue that you feel makes AMS2 at once unenjoyable and worthy posting on and on about it in the forum. But let´s at least try to keep discussions on topic so everything get the appropriate amount of daylight.

• Agree x 41
    • Like x 9
    • Winner x 7
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  15. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I have posted a few times that if such an AI like Sophy became more common as AI in racing games then it could be really challenging to fight against AI.
    Because as socalled AI is now these bots does only react according to some simple rules like IF THIS - THEN THAT :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You kind of brought that onto yourself Renato, by stating that the difference between MP before and now is "night and day", and we should probably spend more time playing the game than spending it on the forum in this very thread. That's called 'throwing the cat amongst the pigeons' and it sparked this whole discussion.

If that didn't happen we would have stayed on our end of the spectrum (the actual MP threads). But yes I understand, I reckon the message from our end that much of us don't agree with this statement is clear now :D

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 New Member

I'm a 100% offline racer, and I have that issue as well. It'll either show different country or blank white icon.

sorry..just now saw this comment was made a couple days ago. Guess that's what happens when you don't visit the forum over a couple days. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What an awful person to point fingers to others like that. Welcome to that ignore list and hopefully to the ban list soon as well.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Actually, they are having trouble finding ways to scale it, the only way they can is by giving the AI weaker cars or using a less developed version that is then a lot more bug-prone as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Im intriguded about this one! Dont the NASCAR rules frown on anyone making a pass when wheels are over the left yellow line of the apron? Wont this now allow this sort of behaviour?

• Like Like x 1