Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

@Renato Simioni since you are so kind to reply here I would dare to ask you....

...is possible from a technical point of view to rebuild or build a new MP system specifically for dedicated servers and leave the actual one for users hosted events?

I am asking ignoring if it is worth it or not....of course!

As far as I remember the big problem with current system is that the game needs to collect data from each user in order to know what is happening to the track surface and temps, etc etc.

Just curious to know if you guys looked to alternatives or different "paths" to let the software do the same things it does now without need to fix the actual one which is basically quite broken.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

I said difference in oval racing before and after the updates was night and day, and it is - I also said this doesn’t imply there aren’t further issues to fix and improvements to make.

It doesn’t really bring anything on me mind, I’m fine spending less time in forum and focusing on the work at hand :) you are highlighting one of the points Im making in the previous post tho, in that there is no value for devs to communicate with users if it’s going to be ignored, misread or drawned in noise. Some of the onus in written communication is on the reader, if there is no effort there we all lose something in terms of the forum being of actual value.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That post doesn't even mention the word oval:
    Just that you had a recent test at IMS which also includes a road course, can't accuse us of misreading it when it leaves the door open for interpretation right? Anyway me (and others) said our part, you have a ton of our feedback on what we experience with AMS2 multiplayer currently so the ball is in your camp to see which direction the game takes going forward. The only thing that is remeniscent of an oval is us going around in circles all the time lol. I'm kind of tired of it too tbh so at least we agree on that part!

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. stealthradek

stealthradek I know nothing. AMS2 Club Member

It'll be required soon to run the post by lawyers before publishing so it's not going to get misinterpreted by other parties or picked up to bits and parts of it taken out of context.

Everyone should chill as this forum is starting to feel hostile where every word may be used against you with surgeon's precision.

I want to be able to share my opinion and discuss constructively rather than overanalyse text before posting as it'll be scrutinised to bits.

We can do better than that.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Or some form of de-risking by the community through community funding to attempt a full re-write

6. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Er I just have to butt in here and say that I am over the moon with the oval racing improvements! It feels like ive been testing this every update since Daytona Oval arrived in the sim. Every update I go back there in the Indy cars and test with a race against the A.I.

Eraly on there were problems with the A.I. slowing down at certain points of the track, there were problems with the stationary cars sliding down the track whilst waiting on the the banking during a standing start (like there was too much gravity), then these issues got solved!

Later on for a while after those issues were solved, the A.I. were just generally too slow, you could beat them with ease at 120 skill, once you were infront they did'nt stand a chance, and even with Aggression at max it was very easy to slow down and deliberately keep them behind you.

When A.I. slipstreaming was brought in, it worked very well for a while, then a few updates later it seemed to go a bit off for a bit, and they're overtaking went a bit weird to.

Now (as of the last couple of updates) They are pretty damn fantastic! They are fast enough to have a decent race with at 110 Skill, and with max aggression, they will fight like hell to get past if you try and keep them behind, they slipstream really well but also with the oval A.I. tweaks, seem to know when to pull out of the stream and go for the over take successfully. They are a real challenge indeed, well worth a race! FCY A.I. behaviour is much better aswell, they dont just slam on the breaks as soon as the yello comes out and also dont drive on each others bumpers when they bunch up behind the yellow! (I also love the the fact we have a real safty car now, like its behaviour. Only thing is I wish all cars stayed solid during FCY, dont like this ghost vehcile thing).

Honestly put a massive smile on my face when I tried them for first time after updates and thought, wow, now i've got some competition! Some of the best oval A.I. racing i've ever had!

Im definately not saying its perfect, (as i mentioned above with the ghost car thing), they do dip the Apron a bit too much still. But what I am saying is, the improvements are great! Bravo!

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  7. Apex

Apex Active Member

One could argue that by and large this is what humans do too, except we tend to add a few glitches and irrelevant factors to the equation now and then.

Like when you approach a corner and you brake way too early because you just remembered that you've got to pick up milk and bread later, or someone in your formative years made remarks that hurt your confidence, or maybe you're subconsciously scared of one of the other drivers because he's got a cool accent, a smashing hairdo and strolls around the paddock with intimidating swagger, or whatever.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 New Member

I just picked up the game in the past month and am a huge oval fan. Still play NR2003 for my oval fix but this is great to hear. Really need to play with the ovals more but currently having too much fun on the road courses.

9. drummerJ99

drummerJ99 New Member

yes. "NASCAR defines beneath the double yellow lines as follows: when the vehicle's left side tires are beneath the left line of the inside double yellow lines that separates the apron from the racing surface while passing another vehicle."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

The post didn't mention it, but you're a member the Paddock Club, so you have all the access to that info. The MP test announcement says it's on the Oval, and the MP test thread in the Beta forums also shows that, there are even screenshots. You as a strong MP advocate should take part in the tests anyways.

I know you'd need to stay informed by yourself, which is hard and that takes time away from arguing, but it honestly it is possible to gather that information before responding. Be an informed forum user.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
  11. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Guys......lets just move on. Take a deep breath and look at that nice relaxing picture of the Nordschleife.
    You welcome......

ss160730.jpg

• Like Like x 14
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mister dog

I got a life dude, and I run a league. I don't read through the whole forum on the daily like a loyal fan of this franchise. If a post doesn't describe the complete picture I'm not gonna start a private investigation to apprehend all the possible ins and outs surrounding said post. I just go off what I read there at face value.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Yep, AI will never feel realistic until it goes off the track due to laughing at whatever idiotic human thing I just did in front of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Come on dog.. my very next post (which you must have read given your ongoing participation in this thread) clarified that was about oval racing, not that it matters because the same improvements made to both netcode prediction allowing for closer racing at high speed and to how opponents wheel positions and suspension animation are assessed in multi made what was before a very rattly looking affair a lot smoother for every stiffly sprung open wheeler be it on oval or road courses, which is indeed a significant improvement which anyone racing those cars in multi can attest to - that was the point, not to deny there aren´t still serious issues in need of addressing which the second paragraph in your quoted post already makes very clear.

From what I gather, both you and Roy are league organizers - I totally get that if you are in the position where you´re taking a substantial amount of your own time to organize events only to have them spoiled to a degree or another because of technical issues, that is very frustrating and compromises your and others ability to actually enjoy the game - it is legitimate to express that frustration as well as to regularly enquire about how things may be expected to improve, and we´ve been trying to communicate we are pushing for more improvements but we´re still unsure what they will achieve and what timeframe they will demand - it´s not an entirely satisfactory answer I´m sure, but it´s the one we have.

What is less legitimate is to constantly hijack threads with post about specific issues on repeat assuming that is what is going to lead us to finally take that rabbit that is just awaiting to be pulled out of the hat, just as it´s not legitimate to minimise if not completely disregard that improvements are taking place in this area, or to ignore the fact that there are other players who may not have the exact same priorities as you who would also like to participate in the forum without having their enquiries, comments and criticisms drawned by the same complaints over and over.

I´d like to be able to regularly engage with the forum to answer questions and criticism, gather your perspectives as well as provide some of our own as to how the game should be expected to develop to both you and them, but that becomes difficult to do if most of my time here is spent navigating pages of noise, giving lectures on basic civility and repeating / explaining what has already been written before in clear english. The forum´s value to users and devs alike kinda rely on us being able to conduct even frustration-fuelled discussions with a minimum of discipline and decorum, else it´s indeed just a tiresome waste of everyone´s time.

Let´s put and end to that then if we may please and get back on topic.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    • Like x 22
    • Agree x 9
    • Friendly x 5
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  15. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

Renato, this is not only u having difficulties in reading thread subject related stuff in specific threads and filtering out the “noise”, some users may have same problem. (Noise not in negative way, do not get me wrong)

maybe a bit more dev moderation in forum could help all folks stay more on topic.

and again, plz do not get me wrong here, I love an active forum like we have here. Just a bit more structure and not so many flooded threads, especially the release threads are getting to 50+ pages within two days, often with request and stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Isn’t that a request? o_O

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. mister dog

Agreed let's just put this down to a misunderstanding and move on. We both like this game to thrive and reach its full potential so in the end our goals are the same anyway.

• Friendly Friendly x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Raphael Camelo

Raphael Camelo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Let's go back to talking about the update, in it it seems that the McLaren F1 GTR still has an asymmetrical rear suspension bump value

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Earlier.
    Unwatched Thread.
    :(For a while.

Edit

Finally
    Now I can re follow.
    Thanks.
    Agreed.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just noticed this myself. Even with SYMMETRICAL SETUP checked, rear Slowbump settings are 9 on the left and 8 on the right.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1