Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

By the end of lap 2 they go into that fuel saving mode and slow down.

They are close enough to draft, and the race is long enough that of they fuel save they (might depending on your setting) not have to stop. So thats what they prioritize over all else.

Drive slower + drafting = less tire wear and fuel usage and therfore less pitstops. That's likely as far as the AI logic goes, if that

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Following your logic, in a 10 lap race they wouldn't be this slow, correct? I've turned off the sim rig for today, so I won't test it for now.

Nevertheless, some questions arise:
    1 - Why is every single of them in the same strategy? Why are there no variations?
    2 - Can the player save as much fuel and tyre as the AI? The race is 50 laps long, the max fuel tank capacity is 44 laps. Can we really save 6 laps worth of fuel?
    3 - Has anyone actually done a 100 or 200 laps race and witnessed a realistic AI behaviour?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dylan Hale

Starting with point 3, I've got to lap 145 of a 200 lap race before crashing on my own. And I've seen people running 100 lap races with 2x fuel and tires, and they typically say the same things as me. Once the AI gets broken up to the point they can't follow nose to tail anymore through pit stops or a yellow flag, they tend to switch gears and go for a more racey and aggressive strategy.

As for point 1, idk. I assume the AI strategy is determined dynamically by the driver profiles in the AI, and maybe there isn't enough variance yet? I notice when doing long endurance races road or oval, the AI often makes poor pitting decision if the yellow comes out too early for their "window" whatever that is. Typically the AI will not pit unless they are 51% through a fuel run. (Assuming all are on the same strategy)

Point 2, Yes I think you could. If you put your fuel mixture into lean, put the car in 6th gear and drafted the whole stint you could probably get 5-6 laps.

In my experience, lean mode basically just limits your throttle to 80%, normal to 90%. So over 44 laps, you can save quite a bit.

But yes, if you try a 10 lap race, I think you will find the AI will fight you the whole time. (They do for me at least, again using Jusk's custom AI and High or Max aggression)

Its kinda amusing to me because if you recall, when R-USA part 3 launched, the AI was super hyper aggressive, taking you 3 wide at every single opportunity and passing hell or high water. GP laps called it a almost perfect Stock car sim, which it pretty much was. They've implemented this fuel save algorithm to try and spread things out but I think it's done more harm than good.

4. Dylan Hale

Just did a video to show this in action. Uploading will post here in the morning!

5. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

What turbo pressure setting (%) are you running?

Edit: I see from the video, it is 100% at race trim? Do you have mech damage disabled? That could explain why you are so fast. If I am not mistaken, you should blow your engine after some laps with that turbo pressure.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

(Deleted, I made a double post by mistake).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Last night I joined a league race with Kartcross. Boy, I knew it was going to be a good addition to the sim, but it surpassed my expectations, they are crazy fun to drive and race! I'm certainly going to be using them more in the future :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. sgsfabiano

Uh, I didn't even notice that. You might have a point there. I have mech damage on, though. The only 2 unrealistic settings I've are autoclutch ON and damage set to medium or something like that, since the AI doesn't get as much damage as the player.

So yea, I see... AMS2 default setups are tailored for very very short/casual races. Need to give another try, though.

9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Sorry to say it - but it must have been pure placebo.
    After intensive testing some other formula cars (example L98T) they all drive terrible.
    The mentioned G2 is only reasonable but only on the the mentioned oval-ish track.
    On other tracks this car is just as bad as the others.
    As I critisised the cars just after the 1.5 upd everything is smoothed out so the cars are swimming most of the time without any feeling of connection to the tarmac.
    So at least my mentioned way of "deleting"/refurbishing the documents folder didnt help.
    And no I didnt reuse some older setups.:whistle:

ByTheWay: Hehe you are ofcourse welcome to disagree. But its pretty silly if you also as is common does dislike this post because Im so naughty that I does criticize your dear racing game:rolleyes:

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Some cars just didn't come out well in the 1.5 update, and the 98T and Classic 1 Model 1 are two good samples of this. Group C IMO are awesome to drive, Kartcross are insanely fun, Stock Car 2022 and 2023 are a clear improvement from the past. I still have tons of cars to test, as I have had not much time, and been quite focused going in depth with Group C. In short, I would try other cars.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. sgsfabiano

Ok, after another test race, same settings but the setup changed to 88% boost pressure, did a qualy and started on pole. By lap 24 I had lapped the whole field and had 6 points of damage to the engine.

So far, I keep my veredict that AI just sucks.

12. Dylan Hale

Race 1, 10 laps, AI blows up splitting up the pack before fuel saving could start, restart

Race 2, 10 laps, AI never goes into fuel saving mode and the race pace continues at a high rate of speed.

Race 3 200 laps, AI goes into fuel save mode by lap 4 and pace slows 20-30 MPH. I also try to show the pace difference of Lean fuel mixture vs rich.

Also that damage your seeing isn't necessarily from the engine. Its actually likely from the gearbox and not lifting when shifting. These are automated single clutch manuals, and they were famously unreliable and known to lock up, blow up or otherwise not last without using the clutch. (Or more importantly lifting during the shift)

Also, the AMS 2 menu music will catch you a copyright, be warned.

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. Dylan Hale

Also worth noting, the Formula USA gen 2 will show this fuel saving mode the least as it features that special wing whos name escapes me. Effectively it forces the car in the front of a train to catch a lot more drag, promoting more passing, and unlike the Gen 3 who also features this wing, the gen 2 doesn't have enough horsepower to actually overcome it.

So in the fuel save mode, you'll see a lot more side by side racing with the gen 2, but it isn't legitimate side by side racing. It's the AI being pushed under the minimum speed its expecting to go, trying to pass, and then getting stuck beside each other at 20-30 MPH off the pace.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

The name is Hanford Device :)

Edit: corrected spelling, thanks Dolph

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Hanford Device

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. sgsfabiano

Tried your settings. It is still pointless to race the AI for me:

I wonder what is wrong. I see praises left and right for the AI, but whenever I give it a go it is usually just straight up boring.

17. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

You won't listen won't you.
    I said COMPLETE UNINSTALL and REINSTALL.
    All you do is mess up the files and then come up with strange comments.
    DON'T change files/folders and put them back.
    You never learn only moan.You have no idea but a lot of it
    Play something else that fits you better.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I havent tried the Lotus since early in the 1.5 beta. Did try the McLaren MP 4/6 yesterday and felt very connected with excellent FFB.

• Like Like x 2
  19. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

As long as the issue for some users exist, that all MPRS progress is lost with a ams2 folder deletion, neither folder wipe nor reinstall are an valid option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Essemo

Essemo Member AMS2 Club Member

I've been running the F-USA Gen 1 cars at Indianapolis a lot in recent weeks. I've had a couple of good full length races against the AI but it seems to work best for me when I set AI difficulty such that I'm the fastest car in the race and I balance that over a full race by pitting more often than the AI, so as to generate a competitive race.

My frustration with the oval AI, especially at Indianapolis, is that they seem to be able to drive fast regardless of what line they take into the turns. Being pushed high or wide into a turn doesn't seem to impact their ability to make the turn at speed. I've had many situations where I'm on the perfect line coming into a turn and there are AI a couple of lengths back and they'll be forced to take a lower or higher line and yet still manage to catch, pass or collide with me in the turn.

I hope this can be improved in the future because I think the oval racing has the potential to be one of the best experiences in the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2