Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, indy is a whole different kettle of fish. The AI line is kinda poor (and will hopefully be updated in the future) and as such the AI take very wonky lines that they shouldn't be able to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Dylan Hale

You can turn the AI strength back up, the key take away should be how the AI adjusts based on race distance. (I race 95% because I'm slow, and technically I broke my thumb yesterday at work... racing driver excuses lol)

3. Dylan Hale

As someone who plays AMS 2 mostly for the open wheeled cars, I can say I don't have a clue what Gabriel is talking about? In my opinion, they haven't really changed that much minus not being able to kick the tail out of corner exit, Hollywood movie style.

The 1983 and the 1986 cars are the best in the game IMO.

4. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it me or do they get slightly less racy as soon as you pass them? also outside of ovals they don't defend their position as well as what I seen on titles like rF2 (which i recently uninstalled as i hated the new tyre physics specially for the lmp2 and how inconsistent the game runs despite using very little cpu and gpu)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I did turn it up back to 120 in the video. Same result.

Edit: I'm not fast either. Usually I hover around the last 1/3 positions of the leagues I race(d), which means I'm a below average driver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dainamo

Dainamo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have found with my beta installation that deletion of the AMS2 beta documents folder was enough to do the trick. A full reinstall might not be necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Is the keyword,do what you like,but do not moan.
    Welcome to another episode of "experts assume" .:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dainamo

I mean, hey, I'd still agree that a fresh install is probably what you should do anyways to ensure no issues, but I did see positive results both ways, if you still feel it's slidey after the fact, then a full uninstall and reinstall is what I would ask before throwing in the towel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Lotus 98T and Classic Gen 1 Model 1 were absolute beasts to drive as of version 1.4.8, when they had updated physics which were a teaser of what was to come on 1.5. But at 1.5 release, that was not to be found. Tyres have insane damping capabilities and do not lose grip not even throwing the car aggressively into a corner, you only have some wheelspin and maybe tail wagging by aggressively accelerating out of a corner. As such, the end result is a racecar that drives like something 20 years newer. Classic Gen 1 Model 2 was the only one to retain the previous character. Which leads me to believe that Model 1 and 98T are on one set of tyres, while Model 2 is on another.

You are, frankly, the first one that I read on about these cars to state otherwise.

The following footage is not from Hollywood movies:

10. Dainamo

I would think these cars would be a lot harder to drive without exploding into a fireball, but in AMS2 they're very much on the easy side, it's fun, but a bit unsatisfying.

I feel a lot of cars demonstrate similar behavior, you can kick the tail out, but it's never really a worry that you're going to spin, the car seems to fight it even if you don't correct the wheel fast enough. I'm not always convinced it's tire related, because the aero cars especially feel like they have trouble spinning out, but I don't know for sure.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

All three cars in the videos look absolutely glued to the track...even the 1,350 hp one!!!! So, does that mean AMS 2 is accurate, or the opposite? I've lost track of whether it is too slidey or too much grip.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Dainamo

There's definitely a lot of mixed signals with people's overall perception of the physics. But I really don't think anything is slidey like it was. Those 3 cars are definitely glued to the track in the sim as they should be, but my personal opinion is the margin for error seems a bit wide, I would imagine they're quite volatile to drive on the limit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

The biggest problem with the 80s F1s in game is not if they are slidey or not slidey, is that the rear tires have absolutely incredible grip, or traction, The cars dont have nearly as much wheelspin as they should, while the lateral grip is basically a switch that either goes on or of. The real cars "look" planted because the rear doesnt kick out imediatly when you get wheelspin, instead the rear wheels are spinning while the car is still moving forward. Check out the black marks that Piquet leaves on the tarmac coming out of some of the slow corners.

Yes i am biased, since i did a full mod with these cars, but to me it seems Reiza hasn't really figured out how these cars drive. At the moment they just plow the front everywhere with seamless endless rear grip, until the grip disappears, and then the car just skwirms around a bit, and either corrects itself, or kicks sideways violently.

I am not taking anything away from other cars (the 90s DTMs are very very good) but it seems to me that cars that have wider tires at the rear tend to be a bit too "tight" like this in game.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Dylan Hale

On corner exit they look about correct to me? I mean, they probably are better at keeping boost pressure and are running a more aggressive setup than I am. But nothing in those videos screams 1.5 is wrong to me?

Again, I'm at a loss here, because they act exactly as I would expect, and trust me, I can wreck cars with the best of them...

15. Dylan Hale

Thats a interesting take, and it makes sense, but I still say 1.5 is a better version of these cars than pre 1.5 where you could throw these cars as sideways as you like.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Marc Collins

Yes, this is the case for most real race cars (i.e., those not similar to a road car like a GT3/4). Almost unbelievable grip and capabilities compared to anything on the road (including expensive exotics), but a fairly sharp edge when you push it to the limit. In simple terms, very easy to drive up to 95% and incredibly difficult to squeeze the last 5%. Sort of like most sports or activities where only those with exceptional skills do well in competition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Agreed, and to add on top of what you've said (while also replying to Dylan and Marc)...

The real cars have the suspension struggling around the lap, and the difference in quality of cars and setup is clear to be seen. The car's rear ends reverberate like mad braking into and accelerating out of corners, twitching all the way, cars taking a set ever so briefly. Senna's car is the worst, the suspension simply giving a middle finger to the bumps and jumping all over them, refusing to absorb any and sending all the energy back to the driver for him to hustle it like mad. In game, the cars have such insane damping and stability properties that none of these subtle nuances are there to be found.

Just because they are not sliding with a plus 10 degrees yaw out of corners it does not mean that cars are perfectly gripped to the track. There are dozens of details to pick on the footage that tells you they are not and how drivers are dancing with a chainsaw (to quote Carl Yarborough). And racing simulations can and do replicate most of them when are well done. Again, the Classic Gen 1 Model 2 still retains some of this character, and the class as a whole was much closer to this at 1.4.8, with the straightline efficiency being the main problem. Now that feels secondary.

18. Marc Collins

I would expect any car with such imbalanced tires rear-to-front to be "tight" by default. The F1 teams spent a lot of time and money to fine tune and work on optimal set-ups (while usually ignoring driver comfort or convenience as @Gabriel "Pai" Legnini points out above). Can the "natural understeer" be dialed out of these cars in the game with fairly simple garage adjustments?

19. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

It depends on the car. I've been doing testing on the Group C and while those cars sometimes have awful defaults, once you put in some tweaks the nature of the beast comes to the fore; although it can be noticed at defaults, it's just less prominent. Problem with the AMS2's 1986 F1s is that the problem does not seem to be on the balance of the car, some setup tweaks change that easy, but the car stays unperturbed. A back to back comparison between Models 1 and 2 on the class on plain defaults with boost maxed should be enough to notice.

So far, every car I've tried with 1.5 has been better than before, the sole exception for the moment being Model 1 and 98T of this class in particular, nothing else. Their brutal character, which was there from even before 1.3 update, dissapeared. Something that had a big change on these cars was changed then and there.

Mmmm this gives me an idea. Be back later...

20. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

My guess about the different experiences of the car behavioring in AMS2 is that it is because of some fundamental bug in the Mad engine that none of us can be sure we run the same car physics.:whistle:
    Fundamental BUG caused by sloppy programming enherited from pCars2.:D

Like all the other existing bugs in this game it does points to the fact that Reiza until now have been more or less unable to pinpoint and solve the reason behind a lot of the issues or bugs.

And compared to some of the other racing games I have never heard that users of rF2, Raceroom or iRacing was completely unsure if they did run the same physics after an update.
    And refering to these other games I have never heard that to be sure you are running the correct physics you have to completely uninstall the game and then reinstall from scratch - eventhough you have just updated to the latest upd.;)

ByTheWay: This difference in physics for different users is the only logical way to explain the often contradictory descriptions of how the cars does behave for these users.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1