Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's a very good point. I have not tried Classic Gen 1 cars in the beta build. Thanks for the tip!

2. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Please Reiza, improve the damage model/system of AI's cars.

When damage is set to max, player has to be extremely careful, a slight contact can lead to severe damage.
    But AI seems to drive tanks, not affected by damage and can go on driving without losing time after an accident. In open wheelers, they often do not pit for a repair, even when they have lost their wings.

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  3. Alain Fry

Alain Fry Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

i do agree there. the Ai should be affected after damages. Seems like they're not affected by slight contact against walls or player or others AIs. That would certainly push the immersion further :)

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Does anybody have some urgent info about a complete uninstall of AMS2?
    Because the cars in AMS2 does drive so bad (damped/smoothed out, sliding) after the 1.5 "update" that its not fun anymore to start the game up.:rolleyes:

I have found the following link and because I want to get any trace of this messed up AMS2 install nuked ;) I can see that the rather simple Steam uninstall gives no garantee of that.
    How to Uninstall Steam Games (and Reinstall Them Later) | Digital Trends

So any urgent (and experienced!) info about a nuke uninstall?:whistle:

ByTheWay: Does anybody know if a later (re)install gives you the possibility to install AMS2 on another place(another partition)?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  5. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Uninstalling from steam and deleting/moving/renaming your Documents/Automobilista 2 folder should be sufficient. I've not seen any sign of AMS2 in %localappdata% or the windows registry.
    What you might also consider doing, if you have the disk space, is move the current install somewhere else. Then, if you find after a reinstall, it seems better, you could do a comparison using something like WinMerge. WinMerge - You will see the difference…
    You can find the folder it's in at the moment by going here: upload_2023-8-26_22-4-48.png

• Like Like x 2
  6. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I also agree. I currently keep damage turned off as it is effectively just a handicap system that affects only your car.

Not sure what the reason is for AI being so much less vulnerable to damage but if the problem is that they bump and barge each other so much that it would result in many of them being unable to finish races, could a slider be introduced that enabled the user to decide how much they want AI cars affected by damage. I don't want to see half the AI field DNF every race but I also don't want to be effectively the only car that is vulnerable to it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BrunoB

Thank you Mick. That makes sense.
    I think I will use the 2nd method in my link which is uninstalling a program via Windows.
    Because this method will as part of the uninstall use Steams own uninstall procedure.
    But because I dont wanna start the calibration, graphics and sound up again from scratch I will backup AMS2 Documents folder before the nuke so I can copy a few of the settingup files back.:whistle:

Pretty irritating to have to deal with this just because somebody have created the Mad engine without really knowing what they were doing. Probably the same idiots who proudly does proclaim that the only thing Reiza have ever done is change 4 lines of Madness code. :rolleyes:

ByTheWay: At least I will hopefully get a chance to reinstall to a partition with enough space;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ive done it once for AMS2 a few updates ago. But this has been going on since PC1 and PC2. Youd be the odd man out scratching your head how everyone is saying it drives so much better and youre thinking its crap. Something just gets screwed and reinstalling it usually fixes it. Back in the PC1 days when i was on PS4 still it sucked because you had to renter all the stupid car ffb settings.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

A couple of weeks ago I had success with only deleting all setups in documents folder . I have no idea why or how this worked but it certainly made a noticeable difference to the grip and ffb response for me !
    I don't even mess with setups generally apart from fuel level and downforce and always reset to default before a session but still worked for me .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a suspicion it is as you wrote, deliberate to avoid a situation like in GTR2, where some AI cars would lose pace massively as the race went on, because of the damage they suffered while racing each other and overtaking slower cars.

So quite a conundrum for Reiza, in one hand you have AI going full pace even without rear wings (at least they pit to fix the "damage" most times) and in another, if they give the AI the same sensibility as the player, they will spend a lot of time in the pits, or going very slow.

I think a partial solution could be to increase the sensibility of the aero damage and keep the suspension damage as it is, at least in my case suspension damage is more detrimental to pace than aero. But ultimately the only real fix for this is to have the AI not bump into each other so much :eek:.

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. BrunoB

Thats about what I hope.
    Oh I just have a rather humble wish - to get my 1.4x-ish AMS2 back instead of this non-sense:p

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  12. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

I have damage set to low/medium. Then, your car is not damaged when you have a little bit of wheel-banging.

13. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I dont drive the open wheel stuff a lot but the cars i have tried are at a much better place than before.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

We've been here before, just after the 1.5 update a bunch of people (Myself included), complained about a number of cars, 2 hotfixes later and the cars that were hotfixed massively improved..

Give the devs some time, things will get better

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Divit Beria

Divit Beria Prefer modern cars

Yeah the leaderboards haven't been reset just yet right? Means the 1.5 physics are still in the process of finalisation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is weird, because remember doing a custom season with the Fv-10 (pre 1.4, iirc) and almost every race the first two on the grid (along with a small handful of other cars) would bump into eachother and pit to fix the damage. Though I haven't seen that type of damage sensitivity with the AI since that

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. IronManAB78

IronManAB78 Member

To be honest, I wouldn't copy the old controller settings file back into the new install. Sure, it can be a pain in the *ss to calibrate all your inputs and button assignments but I wouldn't risk messing up my new install with my old controller settings.

By the way ( :) ): After reading about the possibility of messed up install, I renamed my Automobilista 2 folder in Documents, then I veryfied the game files in Steam. I was quite sceptic about it but to my biggest surprise it worked. I couldn't believe previously why everybody else was so satisfied with the '90s DTM cars. For me they didn't make any sense after the 1.5 update. But after the rename/verify process they behave extremely well. I know that you've already tried this method but I think it's worth trying reinstalling the whole game from scratch.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Yeah, it won't achieve anything that verifying the files doesn't.
    On the vague possibility that some people experience a different feel to the physics when running the game on different occasions it'll be related to the running game not the files on the disk.

i.e if the physics in the game can randomly break - they'll do it again...and if they can randomly fix themselves, they'll do it again...and all you have to do is 'switch it off and switch it back on again'

You could run around your back garden naked and come back inside and say "Slidely feel gone" and then everyone in the forum will start running around their gardens naked, but then you eat a jam sandwich and that caused the slidely feel to come back - sales of jam and bread plummet causing bakers to close in every country where sim racing is popular.

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's something that doesn't make sense, but I don't think we should discount that solely on that front. Be skeptical? Sure, but if people are saying that doing specifically that is causing improvements then we should atleast acknowledge it being a viable "if all else fails" option.

Sure, computers are built off of logic, but that doesn't mean everything is gonna make sense. A great example is mods suddenly not working for me in Automation. Same computer, same drive and all up to date mods, yet it suddenly stopped working. And in that case not even a full reinstall fixed it, so there is no garentee at all that it'll work. The only thing I think would work 100% of the time is a complete factory reset on the computer WHICH IM NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD DO.

None of us know why this is happening, so what do we know? We know that the bug is fairly consistent. By that I mean those who are experiencing it haven't reported it fixing itself without the user doing something, and vise versa. It seems like it effects some people more than others and finally there are a handful of solutions that have either greatly lessen the effects of this bug or completely fix them. That is basically it for what we know, so even if the solution doesn't make sense if it works, it works.

If you don't want to go through remapping your controls and youve tried everything else, then you're SOL until the actual cause of this is found. That's the truth, point blank and no matter how much one complains in the Reiza fourms that reality isn't gonna change. Sometimes things change in ways we don't like, sometimes something we like will break and stop functioning as it should. And if we don't want to go through the solutions that are available then there is no more discussion to be had at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Translated into Latin that's Liz Truss family motto

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1