Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I know this is a joke ( and a pretty good one at that) but I do wanna elaborate a bit, just so people don't get the wrong idea about me. What I mean is that we should be open to solutions that aren't intuitive because individually our knowledge is limited, even if we are an expert in whatever is being talked about there will always be things that get missed.

Once again, know it's a joke but just wanted to clarify what I meant!

• Like Like x 1
  2. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Pmsl :D

3. Dainamo

Dainamo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think the verdict is in on that. Since I've deleted the AMS2 Documents folder the physics have stayed consistent. Should they start feeling bad, it's something I'll note and let everyone know here. There needs to be more awareness for this problem, I think it should probably be addressed by the devs. Regardless, my move is gonna be to be delete the AMS2 Documents folder with every update, just to make sure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Well yeah, putting settings back, deleting setups etc etc. These seem obviously things that would affect the perception of the handling. I note some people are using a beta? I don't know how that is installed if it's standalone like the demo it probably won't affect it, but if you're switching back and forth between 2 versions that may well break perhaps - but it seems too obvious a difference for different people in MP to be having a different experience and none of them to think about it.

But, e.g I've had 'single race' configured for a while to use real weather. Which thus far had been sunny anyway - or at least dry, I haven't paid much attention to specific weather. Yesterday I picked Brands Hatch indy and it was torrential rain.

And then the car (formula trainer) was spinning and sliding. I could barely get out the pits. I thought driving in the wet can't be this hard. The tyres must be wrong.

Went back into the pits and the setup says 'Automatic by weather' - so obviously that doesn't work for some reason. I put the front and rear to wets. Now I'm flying around the track but the AI were just tiptoeing around. Not just slow but pedestrian. It looked like they were driving at the limit of semi-slicks rather than driving really slowly on wet tyres (they were on 100%) Normally to match the AI on 100% I have to be chasing one and it feels like I'm really pushing. Whereas I was 5 seconds a lap faster without breaking a sweat.

So I figured I'd just switch it back to sunny, but my practise was still wet so I didn't change it everywhere. I do a couple of laps, 'skip' and I go out on the track in the dry for qualifying.

Then I remember my tyres are going to be wets because the setup is persistent. I decide to drive a few laps to see what wets are like in the dry. And about halfway a lap the car just spins and I thought they can't be that bad. I got the telemetry hud up and it said the front tyres were wets and the rears were semi-slicks?

Which made sense for the weird handling if one set of tyres went over the limit completely before the others. But then I'm thinking I must have only set the fronts, but why didn't I spin in the wet?

When I went into the set up it said wets front and rear, so there's clearly some bug there with the setups and tyres and telemetry hud, but relatively small bug that you can workaround just by setting the tyres. From the driving I'd suspect it's not as simple as the telemetry hud saying the wrong thing.

I put them to semi-slicks and it drove fine and the AI were fast. Well 2 of them were, 7 of them were behind me.

So that's at least one potential thing where people are going to be thinking the physics are broken on a dry track unless perchance they notice - and if it's a setup bug it's going to affect one car and not another. It's even going to affect different people on the same MP session. We know other small bugs with setups like the final drive. So potentially what else is there that's not being set or being mismatched? Maybe nothing. Maybe it's just some funky thing with 'automatic by weather' and setting wet or semi-slicks and the weather system.

But if other aspects of the setup were breaking in a similar way it would be less obvious to spot. Wrong tyres is easy - especially for me because I've never had a previous version of the game installed. If the handling feels strange I don't think "It's gone back to like it was in version 1.3" or whatever because I've never driven version 1.3.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Doesn't explain what you saw with mixed front/rear tyres, but as I understand it, AI and automatic by weather choose tyres based on the track condition, not the amount of rain. Small window of opportunity, but if the session starts with a dry track and heavy rain, you and the AI will get slicks.

6. RDG

RDG Active Member

Noticed weird behaviour yesterday with the FUG2 at Spa 22 whilst messing around, the car does a really weird 4 wheel slide when you really throw it into fast corners. You can try it at both Pouhon and Blanchimont: at full speed throw the wheel into the corner. The car should go into understeer heaven and basically go straight, but it doesn’t. It sort of grips and then you get a really weird 4 wheel slide. Seems very unrealistic.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Divit Beria

Divit Beria Prefer modern cars

Noticed this pre-1.5 too but more pronounced. Felt like you could just keep turning the steering infinitely and it would just keep turning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Do you actually believe that a car with a massive amount of massively efficient downforce will just understeer off the edge of the track in a high speed corner if you crank the steering lock in? Let's tell the F1 teams they are wasting hundreds of millions of dollars because their cars are no different than our road cars or the Copa Uno.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Marc, almost every single post I see from you is defending AMS2 at any cost, it is weird. Not that I disagree with this one. I think you are right, modern F1 cars are on rails on such corners.

Now, a think a proper test would be having very worn out tyres and see how the car behaves there. I would guess it should heavily understeer or snap, no?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Personally I don't think it would do either because of the amount of downforce these cars make. I think you're more likely to blow a tire than to have any noticeable understeer that isn't caused by the air being restricted over the front wings.

Now, oversteer... I do think you could throw a car hard enough into a turn to cause a spin, especially in a sim where you aren't subjected to the G-forces. How the car reacts when that happens? Idk. I don't think it would be a snap, but more like a airplane stalling in mid air.

If you do unrealistic stuff in a simulator, you will get less than realistic results.

Cut to me ramming a train into buffers at 10,000mph in Microsoft Train Simulator as a kid.

11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

but I wouldn't risk messing up my new install with my old controller settings.

By the way ( :) ): I know that you've already tried this method but I think it's worth trying reinstalling the whole game from scratch.[/QUOTE]
    I have allready reinstalled. But are about to make a backup of the Steam partition
    Conserning the copy back controller settings Im thinking about it. But calibrating my rater special wheel is a pain in..
    edit: Mobile Phone stinks

12. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Note though, having 4 wheel slide that you can get away from with throttle isn't defintely same as "on rails" either. AMS2 still has a bit of that type slidey of tendency left and when it happens with cars like the F1, it definitely doesn't feel right, especially if it doesn't punish you much at all and you can gain time like that.

It's definitely improved with latest updates, even though I had quite hard time believing I would be driving a fwd car the other day when I was driving the modern Mini, and starting to gain time by throwing the rear a bit and drifting slightly in corners (at first I tried to drive as I think a fwd car should be driven or how I'm used to do it in rF2 with the BTCC cars lately, trying to smooth with the throttle and handling the corner entries the certain way to avoid oversteer on exit).

13. Great Ape

Great Ape Member

Cheers bud, that pointed me in a workable direction; now using Danielkart v80 with a lot of success; it's a good custom file, bit top-heavy in the peak though.

Been throwing the P1G2s around a bit and have to say, v1.5.xx is a really good update.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Please attack the argument, not the person

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Great Ape

Great Ape Member

From everything I've read and 'done' (FWD) you want a slightly loose rear on them; the front tyres are doing enough as it is, so a little 'flick' helps in rotating the car and takes some of the burden of off the fronts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RDG

RDG Active Member

So what you're saying is that an F1 car should stick to the road no matter the steering lock and speed. I hope you realize that does not make any sense whatsoever.

If you exceed the speed of a given corner and put in maximum steering lock, one of two things happen: you either understeer off the track, or the front grips and you oversteer off the track. In AMS2 currently, the front grips, then doesn't, then you get a weird 4 wheel slide that makes no sense.

By your snarky logic, the cars should always grip, because they spent money on it. Why do they even fit brakes on these cars?

17. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So you agree with him in this case, why would you then proceed and take this particular case as an opportunity to insinuate that there's some bias involved? I agree with almost everything he's said the last few pages, that must be weird too. Just fanboys defending AMS2 at all cost. smh

What if he happens to 'defend' AMS2 because the same wrong statements are being repeated every 2 pages? What you're implying here is that he's not being honest and I think that's not ok.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
  18. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

He can't attack the argument because he agrees with him.

19. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

And i don't think RF2 FWD got it right.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok.