Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Had you started the topic with your detailed discussion of the physics issues from your post above instead of with a glib statement that "the car should go into understeer heaven and basically go straight, understeering off the corner," I am quite sure the ensuing conversation and responses from me and others would have been different.

And, to set the record straight, there is also no evangelizing going on from me. I have been an internal tester at Reiza for years preceding AMS 2. I could write pages about remaining deficiencies in the game. I have literally thousands of posts in this forum, and please feel to click my name to see the ratio of positive to negative and ratio of helpfulness of my contributions. Nevertheless, I often read the same issues rehashed over and over again with supercilious comparisons made to other titles or the real-world vehicles the game is attempting to simulate.

Most of these comments are made by people with not only zero racing experience, but who have likely never even driven a road car in anger. The point of comparison is sometimes a console game driven with a game controller! Given your later posts, it is obvious you are not one of those people, though I may have mistaken you for one given the original posts. I am therefore surprised that you chose to continue to argue a not fleshed-out point about understeering and make personal accusations about motives rather than simply using your time to focus on and write the more useful and thoughtful posts about the details of the physics of the game that you contributed later.

I am not requesting anything from you with this reply (that I already broke my own commitment to not reply further), but simply setting the record straight from my perspective (since others were attempting to do so, perhaps on my behalf). Let's move on to more discussions about the behaviour of the vehicles in the game and which ones need the most attention following the massive improvement cycle known as "the 1.5 physics update."

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Let's end the meta-discussions now :)

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyways quick question after the adrenaline pack I’m considering picking a cheap usb handbrake from aliexpress, would it work in AMS 2

4. Demichkd

Demichkd Active Member AMS2 Club Member

On the HUD my name is not displayed, just first initial. AI names are full. Anyone have a solution?

Disregard: just had to change Options>Gameplay>Hud Level to full.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Be aware the handbrake in AMS2 is just a button, not an axis. Hopefully that changes in the future.

Edit: it was pointed out that the handbrake does work on an axis, even though the assignment is a button. I was able to verify it does indeed work on an axis when using a handbrake.

Final Edit: the issue I was having was user error. The Fanatec handbrake on first pull calibrates itself, and it was seeing the axis as almost non-existent. I always thought the extra brake was a button press until others said they had a full axis there, so never thought to look further. To the point... if you have a Fanatec handbrake, be sure to pull it back the full distance at least once to let it calibrate itself, before binding it in AMS2. Once self-calibrated, you can select extra brake and slowly pull the handbrake back full travel to bind the full axis in AMS2.

Thanks to the others who made me aware of my error, it made the sim so much better to have a working handbrake.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ayzr0451

ayzr0451 Member

That would explain why its so difficult to use. Pcars had an option to adjust strength for handbrake. It helped a lot

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

Am I right in thinking I read somewhere that grid numbers are being increased in the future or is that something I’ve made up in my head ?

8. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

They will

• Like Like x 2
  9. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Why this? I have an analog axle occupied as a handbrake that works fine for me.

10. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In school, nobody liked to write essays, but here, they are writing books

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Im not so sure about this. The car definitely turns more when i pull the handbrake harder. And i 100% get more inside braking in the mp4/12 when i binded extra brake to my clutch pedal. The problem is we cant calibrate the handbrake, or see handbrake in the input part of the hud.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

They already have. Cadwell Park, for example, now allows 26 cars. If I remember correctly the limit there used to be 16. Whether the limits are raised further and beyond the 32 which is the biggest that any track will go, only time will tell.

Also, here's a quote from the last dev update:
    (Ah. 17. Well, anyway.)

13. DrEvil

DrEvil New Member

Maybe it is a button, but one that you can press longer if you understand what I mean, like the push-to-pass button. So just briefly touching the handbrake will give you a different effect compared to holding it. Just my two cents, I have no idea if this is how it works.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Pandytim99

Well I’ve been using the 4th gear of the h shifter as a handbrake so that’s kinda how
    It’s working for me lmao

my friend does have a cheap handbrake but the game is not recognizing it

15. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the Fanatec APM the golden analog axes assigned as a handbrake and can dose there and not only on / off.

• Informative Informative x 4
  16. dryheat94

You are correct. I went back and took another look. The assignment is a button, not an axis, but if I move my Fanatec handbrake very slowly I do see an axis is involved, albeit a very tiny window from off to max application. I'm going to go back and edit my post to correct my error.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. dryheat94

This would be a good addition. My handbrake goes from off to full, with about a 1/8 pull on the brake, which led me to believe there was no axis.

18. Pandytim99

Anyone have like an aftermarket handbrake and made it work in ams 2? My friend is having trouble getting his usb e-brake recognized

19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Question #1: Is the handbrake recognized in Windows devices / controllers?
    If not, it may be lacking a proper Device ID.

20. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

Have the Simagic TB1 handbrake which connects by usb and works fine in ams2 assigned as 'extra brake' on any vehicles that actually feature handbrake