Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

On the realism discussion, even if developers could mimic most RW physics, they also need to make any game compatible with a wide variety of platforms. You'd probably need a super computer to handle most of the inputs that simulate real world driving. I think we'll always be guessing about feels real in racing sims.
    IMO, what AMS2 does best is make feel what all four wheels are doing as I race. I think it does it better than any other sim.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like you are talking about tranferable skills. If you learned good technique/inputs and driving lines through sim racing, some of that will carry across.

I myself have been saved from a crash by quick 'instinctive' reactions in sketchy conditions that I later realised I had drilled in by losing (and regaining) control of cars in simulators, in the safety of my gaming chair.

The goal of sims is to emulate as much as possible but that doesn't make it the same experience as driving the real car. I set a top 10 lap in the 2019 Formula 1 car, but I promise you, I would not be capable of that time in real life, not without some serious physical training and practice beforehand and likely not even then. The feelings and ways of getting information in a sim are different to those of real life, we associate them with the car's behaviours, in real life those cues are completely different and come with other challenges like the physical costs or your eyeballs rattling in your skull.

I reckon half of the people you see binning it on the Shleife in real life are people who went there thinking they knew it because they'd done it in sims. :p

As you suggested, I think it's just semantics, I doubt anyone here would suggest there is nothing to be gained from sims, just look at Daniel Ric. though I'm sure the F1 teams' simulators are on a different level entirely.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Hmm. I eat cheese....and that's made me better at maths than people who are useless at maths IRL....the mistake other cheese eaters make is comparing themselves with people who are good at maths.

Go and play rugby with Stephen Hawking and tell me you haven't learned something about rugby from sim racing..."yeah, I beat him easily! Sim racing must improve your rugby playing"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Don’t think that’s currently possible

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

I thought the game we were playing here was about fantasising and dreaming...

6. Racinglegend1234

You lost me at cheese

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

You quoted my post after the bit about cheese.

If you don't like cheese you can get better at skateboarding by eating soup. So long as you compare yourself with Douglas Bader rather than Tony Hawk.

8. Racinglegend1234

That doesn’t mean I have ever understood what you’re typing

9. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

There is a pretty stupid trick to make simulations more realistic.
    Or let's say it's closer to reality.

There is only one car! No restarts and no retries.

Let's say only one car per week or even per month.
    In the event of failures or accidents, the simulator and the hobby remain switched off! Have fun at the Virtual 100 Mph....hehehe....your courage will shake....bet?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

This!
    I am an old-time sim racer and I have played all sims out there with all the possible bells and whistles.
    (VR, 4-axis motion, bass shakers, DD....)

But this is actually what is missing. All the consequences that are part of real life.
    I am not talking about physical consequences, of course, not even economical consequences.

Just having "time consequences" would be an addition. E.g. in real life, F1 driver (no economical consequnces) has to skip a session/weekend if a big wreck happens.

Summarizing, I think that what is missing is the "one-chance" feeling. Having the possibility to reset/restart/rewind as much as you can without any consequence or drawback, to some extent is a blessing, but on the other hand makes everything less "important" and eventually potentially a bit "boring".

For sure you get some of this when competing in championships or leagues, but it would be interesting to think about implementing something smart also on AI races / time trials, etc.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

In the end it remains a game and the hobby of all of us. Everyone can decide for themselves whether it is realistic or not. The main thing is that I enjoy it. And Ams2 definitely does that for me :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

EA's mobile multi-player game "Real Racing 3" has something like this. You need to win and place to earn $$ and when you have damage you can pay for quicker repairs if you have the cash or if your low on funds you have to sit out for hours 'in real time' until your car is repaired before you can race again .. all this on your phone where you tilt the phone like a steering wheel to turn lol .. It makes you think twice about going for that gap hahaha ..

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

No worries - thats the beauty we can all have different opinions but tbh I think we are aligned for the most part :)

For sure there are massive similarities with real life - mainly around learning the track, apexes, what bumps unsettle the car, to a point braking points, any notable camber and even some car behaviour but all sims do it right at some point but then there comes a point where there is absolutely no similarity and using what you learn in game will see you have a bad/expensive/life threatening time on track.

I did a few track sessions at Donnington Park & Oulton Park and you feel like you have been doing laps there for ages from time in game.

Also some 95% full on passenger laps in for instance a JPLM & Ariel Atom which I really felt it was very similar in PCars 2 to real life but only in certain areas....

As others already pointed out the physicality / heat / smells / downforce / fear factor are massive parts missing which to me at least means trying to argue which pretend racing game is most realistic is a waste of time because none have that and they never will.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sim racers complaining on Reddit after getting a one off a chance to drive a real race car. (It was not a real race car, it had too much grip)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Well, I for one can say that regularly spending time in sims made me much more consistent as a driver. For example, in go karts I might not be the fastest, but when on a long run or on a race the delta from my lap times are much lower, I am very consistent and I seldom make mistakes. I’m sure I would be much sloppier driver if I didn’t do sim racing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I've made a similar point in the past; if you want realism set up a hydraulic piston with a boxing glove on the end, every time you crash it smashes you in the face. You could also do it by linking a direct debit to the game taking out track fees, fuel and damages as they occur.

Please, let's not even joke about that, you just know there are companies out there that would do it.

I'm happy with my game as it is, I don't want to be restricted in how I enjoy it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Without any doubt there are skills that perfectly transfer from sim to real, both technical, tactical, etc. so you obviously will have an advantage over someone who don't simrace or race in real life, but there are a lot more important things that don't.

Years ago we used to went to go karts almost in a weekly basis, rotating through the several different go kart tracks available in my zone. We were a group of always the same people, I used to crush everybody in any track, any day. One day, we invited another friend who used to race in real life. He raced in really minor categories here, and only when he could, so nowhere near a pro driver, just a lowly amateur one.

He gave me a lesson I will never forget, an embarrasing defeat for me :). After that, I bought a real 125cc racing kart and started attending track day events.with my real car:)) Of course that my sim racing experience paid off with the transition, in many ways, but the amount of new things to learn and get accostumed for are a lot too.

Sims are great for entertainment, for testing things, for gathering the basic skills for racing, but in my humble opinion and limited experience, all of them are nowhere near the real thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Well, ok, but go karts are used to find out the fastest 6 year olds before they move up to a harder class....

Maybe today I'd be fast at egg and spoon race.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

In regards to Simulators and transferable skills I have a strict advice to everyone who is thinking about taking a +300hp cars to any trackday. Use the Simulator with the most difficult driving model, and you willprobably make it without an accident. Try to drive like in AMS2 and you will find yourself at YouTube in the "Crahes and fails@ Nordschleife" section.

This is an advice from an Golf R-owner and trackday driver.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Well taking a road car to a track is to do a few fun laps. Nothing really to do with 'difficult driving models', especially if you're talking about games where the majority of the cars are racing cars.

It's like cycling up Mont Ventoux isn't like being in the Tour de France.

• Agree Agree x 1