Automobilista 2 November 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Even though the dust effect was pretty rudimentary in nature, I found it to be very effective as an early indicator of the track-dirt buildup. I really look forward to its return and "threading the needle" when sand / dirt encroaches on the racing line. That was a whole new experience for me in sim-racing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

With the new update, it seems to me that the animations for changing gears are missing on certain cars: Ginetta GT4, Ginetta GT3, Mclaren F1 GTR...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

The levers all work, do you mean the co-ordinated arms/hands (I don't use, so couldn't tell)?

4. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Yes, exactly

5. Gionatan

Gionatan New Member

When do they plan to add yellow flags?flags are part of reality

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gdubmx

gdubmx Member AMS2 Club Member

Man I've revisted ams1 again. Glad I backed that way back when and become a reiza backer, that leads me to my burning question.. Copa de (can't pronounce name) fwd touring cars are fantastic.. When can we expect them in ams2?, would love a modern dtm too, like 2005 to 2018 dtms specifically. Awesome stuff Reiza, thank you

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Marc Collins

Do you have to be able to pronounce something to type it? ;)

Jokes aside, the Copa de Marcas was a popular series, but is no longer running. Reiza has said that they know these cars were popular and I believe they have been on the lookout for something suitable to replace them...eventually.

In the meantime, we have the Mini JCW (with an amazing LSD on a FWD car) for modern touring cars and for older stuff several of the Copa Classics are FWD plus the Copa Uno.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Iuri_Rein

Iuri_Rein Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Marc could be the national categories in activities, such as Copa Shell Hyundai HB 20, National Tourism, (by the way, TN belongs to Vicar, owner of Stock Car). There is the Brazil Tourism Cup 1.4 (which all national confederations have their subcategories). There is also TCR Brazil and South America, also from Vicar, and a complement to the Stock Car Pro Series that could bring the access category to the Stock Car Series.

• Like Like x 3
  9. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

why is it amazing, what does it do that others don't. I'm not a big fan of fwd cars in sims so tend to stay away from them but I would like not to, plus I've never been any good at racing them.

10. Marc Collins

FWD cars suck for just about every possible fun or racing use since we are asking two wheels/tires to do too much of the work--accelerating, cornering, braking. Inherently imbalanced and full of torque-steer on the track, but very practical use of space and inherent understeer, which is not so bad for a road car. Hence why every purpose-built race car is not FWD.

Every serious sporty road car and race car has a LSD so as to not waste energy spinning the inside drive wheel coming out of corners under heavy acceleration. In really good cars, the LSD can be adjusted for fine-tuning the balance. The nature of a FWD transaxle and mechanics means that you cannot (easily) provide this function when the same wheels that are driving also have to steer. It was generally thought impossible or impracticable and we all just assumed FWD would understeer off the track at every corner if pushed too hard. But, a cool option for BMW/Mini somehow devised a mechanical LSD for the top-line Minis. It is an incredible feat of engineering and resolves one of the major downsides of FWD on a race track.

Mini ATB limited Slip Differential - Gen 1 and Gen 2

A brief description is on that site.

Bottom-line, the Mini JCW will not "feel" like a FWD car. This article helps explain why:

Why the JCW Factory MINI will not get LSD. - MotoringFile

I should also add that a race-prepped FWD race car will also not feel anything like a FWD road car. It will feel like the back end is constantly trying to swap ends with the front. This is to help balance (increase) the usage of the rear wheels versus the fronts doing most of the work and therefore heating and wearing the most also. It is meant for an experienced driver on a race track, and would be completely unsuitable for safe, casual road use.

And lastly, even the lowly VW TSi's that are in the game now have a "fake" LSD function using brake vectoring (shows up as traction control). The system brakes just one of the front wheels slightly to help point the car in the right direction in corners, reducing the inherent understeer.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Dean Ogurek

Very interesting post, Marc.
    I recently drove my first Mini Cooper S (2006). That car packs a lot of fun into a small package.

12. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

I believe there was a road going version of an Alfa Romeo or Lancia in the late 80s or early 90s that had an LSD. The Focus RS/ST definitely had one too. I think it has been a cost option on the MINI for at least the first two if not all generations of Coopers. Honda Integras and Civic Type Rs too. And some Nissans.

It´s true that most perfomance road cars use TC (FWD, RWD and AWD) with a combination of braking and cutting engine power - I guess replacing front disc pads are cheaper than busting a driveshaft or transmission if the LSD kicks in too much.

Racingwise the TCRs and WTCs also had locking diffs (in Raceroom you can adjust the lock rate) otherwise they would have been skinned by the BMWs every time.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  13. Marc Collins

Did it have the LSD?? Those cars are a ball of fun on the road. Just not suited for track use without some serious upgrades (as is the case for 99.9% of road cars).

14. Marc Collins

A very sad "development" that some expensive so-called high performance cars have abandoned the mechanical LSD for electronics trickery!!

The argument is that the electronics can be adjusted by the driver, for different modes, etc. But the electronics would work even better with a real LSD in place, too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dean Ogurek

I don't think it has the LSD, just some mild engine mods to bump power. Owner did say it exhibits torque-steer on cornering + acceleration but, I didn't push it that hard on curves as the roads are quite narrow with lots of trees close by. I really like the Supercharger performance, but the gear ratios are really too close with that much power on tap.

16. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You should try a built srt neon. Be prepared to turn right when you put your foot in it.lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

I just did a quick test after the update, can you confirm that this problem is not resolved and that it is on the radar. This breaks the immersion for me.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  18. Marc Collins

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are probably hundreds of these types of loose ends and minor issues in the game. Reiza diligently patches them all, but there is a priority ordering of what gets fixed first. I am afraid this won't be at the top of their list when major updates that affect every car in the game are being rolled-out, but you never know. Things get addressed in clusters and fits and starts depending on resource availability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

Did I miss another brief update over the last few days? The GT3 cars feel different, in a good way. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  20. TKracer

TKracer Active Member

GT3 was one of the worst cars before this latest update, they are really damn good now. I'm amazed how big of a difference it is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2