AMS2: The ‘Not-a-Priority Things to Fix’ List

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GregzVR, Apr 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mital

Mital New Member

Yes i have this problem as well, it's very off putting, ai cars can be driving down a straight with their front wheels completely turned to the right, looks absolutely ridiculous, PCars was the same so I am guessing it's engine related as ams1 didn't have this issue nor does Rfactor 2

2. Road Animal

Road Animal New Member

Maximum speed is completely irrelevant and does not need to be calculated , you set top gear on the longest straight to redline right at very end as you lift off the gas to enter turn , that is your maximum speed for your setup , and Maximum Speed around a course is what is important , not too speed , you can set car to have the fastest speed of all cars down the straight but be the slowest car on the track , it's irrelevant

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. SlowAssDave

SlowAssDave CrazyCanuck (CASS) AMS2 Club Member

If folks were really trying to squeeze every bit of pace out of the car for a track, they'd want room at the top of the highest gear for possible drafting boosts on the big straights, and then the lower gears could be set up so you're not topping out a gear mid corner or laboring the engine.

I can see where having a speed is handy, if you know some turns the car maxes lateral grip at 80kmh, you'd be happy to see 3rd gear topping out at say 95-100kmh. Knowing you're just on the cusp of the powerband heading out of the corner.

All that being said, I don't feel it really fits that "real model" aspect of sim racing. I am pretty sure the racing bodies don't allow teams to chuck cogs at their gearboxes every weekend till they find an optimum for each course of a series. I think they get 2 types of gearboxes to run for the season. That may just be IMSA, but my point still stands.

I vote we just run electric cars. 1 gear to rule them all, 1 gear to find them. 1 gear to bring them all and in the darkness, bind them. /sarcasm

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Different race series have different rules for gearing and "diffs." Some have no choices, some allow anything you want as log as it stays the same all weekend/season, some allow multiple fixed choices, etc. The game tries to replicate this as closely as possible.

5. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

The ai line at Azure Circuit(Monaco) encroaches though the pit exit lane during practice and qualifying, by more than half a car's width. I've been hit when exiting the pits, by ai cars on hot laps fully rear-ending my car.
    If they don't hit you, they phase through you, which is even more jarring in VR.

Their hot lap line should be on the other(left) side of the yellow pit exit lane.

6. GregzVR

Another very minor thing, is how cars from the same team are never together in the same pit garage box. I'm sitting in my car, in the garage, I look to my left and there's a Ligier(or other random car) there instead of my teammate.

• Like Like x 4
  7. GregzVR

I'm liking the new head movements for the helmets now. A very visual minor issue arising from that, is that the pivot point seem to be in the middle of the helmet, instead of it being below the helmet, where the neck is - they wobble a bit weirdly as a result, but I'm sure it'll be fixed eventually.

Maybe in future a helmet lean value could be applied to custom ai files, so we can give some drivers that full Alesi head-leaning action.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. TKracer

TKracer Active Member

I would love if they added an ingame image of the track under the track selection.

Call me a noob but I have a hard time remembering every layout and track name, an ingame image is a lot quicker to reference by.

Something like this.
    upload_2023-11-28_8-33-45.png

• Agree Agree x 9
  9. GregzVR

I wish there was a non-default option to turn off ai ghosting in the pit lane and the entrances/exits of them.
    I know it’s there to prevent the ai getting stuck amongst themselves, but it’s always jarring to have them drive through you and looks weird when they ghost through themselves also.
    Give us the option to turn it off at least, and let us deal with any consequences that arise.

OR, have the ghosting begin and end at the pit lane speed limit lines. ghosting whilst still on the track also looks/feels wrong.
    If cars ghosting together whilst crossing the pit exit line, then it should end as soon as the cars are clear of each other.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Something maybe more simple, IDK, would be to make them look like ghosts, translucid?, when they're actually ghosting. More than once I've been scared when an AI decides to go to the pits and they ghost through me, also when they come out of the pits they still ghost for a couple of seconds and I honestly don't know if they're ghosts or not.

Give us some visual indication at least.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

On some tracks like vintage Spielberg, they share garage spots. I guess this is no problem because of their ghosting through/on each others. In AMS 1, when you had more AI than spots, those cars could not leave pitlane.

12. GregzVR

The ai when on out/in laps during practice/qualifying:
    It’s good that they sometimes move off the main line on the straights, but there’s no point doing that, if they don’t slow down at all and continue to hold you up in the corners.

They should slow to around 75% lap speed during in laps, and do the same on out laps, but go full speed in the final sector to begin their hot laps.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zsozsa

Zsozsa Member AMS2 Club Member

There could be a steering wheel visibility assignment option to the used display. I often switch between VR and monitor. In VR I have to see my virtual arms and the steering wheel but on monitor I don't need them. But of course, I always forget to set it accordingly in the options when I switch display... Just an idea.

14. GregzVR

I feel we need more time between clicking to start a race and the lights going green. Currently, it’s something crazy like only 5 seconds! :eek:
    Ten seconds would be ideal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Enthony

Enthony from Far East

I am not sure will send t be fixed, so ...
    I am from Hong Kong, and did not have online issues or any huge ping related issue in other sims.

But in AMS2, even if server status is green, when you log in to the room, all players signal turned from green and yellow to red in few seconds.
    Despite that, I can still race a few lap, and don't notice any other player ping issue. After around 1.3 minutes, it disconnects.

It happens in every room.

16. Kridedude

Kridedude New Member

Bought a new wheel (Ascher Racing Artura Pro-SC) and not all buttons are recognized. Other sims I've tried work fine but AMS2 doesn't let me map all buttons. There's others who have the same problem.

Is there a limit for inputs/buttons in AMS2?

Edit: I've tried custom wheel as well but no dice. The wheelbase I'm using is a SC2 Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

The distance at which you can no longer hear a car's engine is too small, and ramps down too quickly. Like it's loud, when it's next to you, but as the car drives away it goes quiet far too quickly. Like the car is now far away and you can still hear it, and then 10 meters further it goes completely quiet.

On a small enough track you oughta be able to hear the car throughout the whole track. That would be neat.

18. Eduardo Costa

Eduardo Costa New Member AMS2 Club Member

Pitgroup slider (like ams1) - prevent drivers from the same team from using the pits at the same time.
    Tyres - possibility of ia making different pit strategies using different types of tires according to the desired number of laps (and showing the right color).

New Sliders - max_speed, acceleration and brakes to facilitate overtaking between ia cars mainly on the straights (which is very difficult even with very different race skills)

Hud editor - like ams1

Posicions Table - Only 17 players appears (in off-line mode withou human car) why not 20? or an opportunity to customize the quantity that appears

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
  19. mansell

mansell Active Member

in the doorstep of 2024, this fix could be considered as "important" TBH, but anyway...

Will Automobilista 2 have a Career mode?

Yes, the endgame for Automobilista 2 is to deliver the most comprehensive and true-to-life career mode ever designed for a racing game, connecting the game´s incredibly vast and ever-growing ensemble of Cars and Tracks into a cohesive journey accross several decades of motorsports. This however should only be added to the game towards the second half of 2021.

Automobilista 2 FAQ

my suggestion(s): update "2021" or (even better) delete the last sentance.
    the easiest fix ever?
    you are welcome! :D

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. twistking

twistking Member

UX concerning pit strategy is not great, but gets the job done. However one point of confusion is that you can set tire pressure, even if you do not change tires. Will this still have an effect?
    Of course i could easily test it, but UI should make it clear.
    In either case, there should also be the option of "default" tire pressure, which would take tire pressure from tuning profile.
    Currently you cannot share pit strategies between different cars, because tire pressure will be wrong. Therefore it's needed to have the option to leave tire pressure "blank" or "default" or whatever, so that tire compound gets changed with tire pressure simply staying as defined in tuning setup.