Automobilista 2 December 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I know it's a whole different resolution, but I also don't have a 4090 to run it. Did you try the super sampling setting?

Edit: As you imply, resolution matters a lot, and if I understand the mentioned setting correctly, then you might be rendering the game at 1.5 times the resolution of your already pixel-dense Aero.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Michael Croshaw

Michael Croshaw Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I override the resolution in open xr as it seems way too high by default . From memory the aero is something like 2800 on the long end per eye but in openxr is was set a lot higher . Anyway , dropping this to below 4K per eye really helped performance and didn’t seem to impact the eye candy .

3. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I tested both. But the difference between them was minute, so I got rid of the OpenXR. I think there is more to find in the VR settings performance wise. I had no problems running at night in the rain at 90 Hz with my 4080 with 31 cars.

4. Laccoo

Laccoo New Member

But why not Porsche 992 CUP, why boring GT3 ??? ......

• Dislike Dislike x 13
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Virindi

Virindi New Member

I have a similar high end setup, with the Pimax Crystal at its native supersampled resolution 4312x5100 per eye, also using opencomposite and all that for foveated rendering.
    I found that setting the refresh rate to 120hz and capping the framerate to 60 (it's not like it's going much higher anyway) with openxr toolkit gives me a very smooth experience for sim racing, including night / rain etc..
    I prefer this over lowering the resolution and aiming at 90fps.
    In AMS2 I set MSAA to medium, and in VR there are quite a few settings where I can't see a difference between high / ultra or medium sometimes even low... like reflections, shadows, car detail...

I also suspect DDR5 RAM helps quite a bit because I used to play on a RTX4080 with DDR4 RAM and the performance gap with my new computer is quite noticable, more than what I would expect just from the GPU.

About the aliasing, for me it really appears clearly at night when I turn on the headlights, the rear end of cars in front look pretty bad (rear spoilers / diffusers) compared to the rest of the environment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The 992 cup might still be coming at some stage, who knows....

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Ah you see, this is why it's worth investigating these things.
    I've read the reports left and right of people using high-end hardware and VR (with openXR mostly), and not getting their money's worth in terms of performance.
    So, I render at around the Varjo Aero's native resolution... Okay, it's 80fps instead of 90 but those 10fps shouldn't be a deal breaker either right?
    I have ASW set to off so it never drops to 40fps at all.
    For comparison, in AC and Rf2 I have to play around with in-game settings a bit more, to keep a stable 80fps.
    As others have said, it seems like ams2 is somehow rendering at an obscenely high resolution in your case.
    From where I'm sitting, that's really the only thing that would explain these performance drops on that beefy of a system.
    Lighting/reflections and shadows are still definitely a huge performance hit in this title, that's for sure.
    It's just weird that some have this bad of an experience under high-workload situations, and I can't really get it to buckle if I try...
    Only instance where things really "give" for me are wide shots of a large pack of cars racing closely together in replay.
    Then it sometimes dips below the line with a stutter here and there.
    Anyway, I hope you find the gremlin that's messing up your experience in the title, and/or the up and coming "set # of visible cars" will bring some relief for you.

8. smpearce22

smpearce22 New Member

Absolutely!!!!

9. DinoM

DinoM Member

Because GTE is replaced by GT3 in WEC and the current DLCs will be Le Mans (WEC) themed. The cup Porsche starts in the Porsche Cup.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Thanks for the answer Renato! (I didn’t honestly expect an answer from you considering it’s Christmas! - Merry Christmas for you and your family by the way). I understand that there so much it can be done in Madness engine. Happy that you guys are squeezing out every possible asset of this engine for AMS2. If you guys manage even to increase 2 or 3 cars, I’ll gladly take it. Thanks for putting all the effort in getting us these magnificent DLCs! What a journey thru Motorsport history you guys enable us to enjoy! Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
  11. finitol

finitol New Member

Hi Renato!!
    will be possible to get native openxr in ams2?
    could be a great step to get more juice from lower gpu's like rtx 3xxx and so on

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

If anything, there should be FSR/DLSS support. From early access to now the game is a bit more demanding,

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Louis Marlowe

Louis Marlowe New Member

Will need a section in my yearly budget entitled 'Forthcoming AMS2 DLCs'

[​IMG]

- EDIT: just to be clear, I mean that there's a lot of great content upcoming, not that I think the DLCs are expensive/overpriced

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 13
  14. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I’m happy that I’m a beta member. Maybe a bit more expensive, but no need to budget for future DLCs

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

aint 63 what they’ll use on their Hypercar though? Correct me if I’m wrong

16. Pandytim99

I believe iRacing already have it but hey at least on AMS 2 you can have that combination without having to sell your kidney for it

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

You can buy both DLCs in AMS2 for less than two of the LMDh cars in IRacing

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

Funny but to be fair im pleasantly surprised how cheap the upcoming DLC is, I expected to pay 20 for the Cars. And the Game is in its 4TH year of public development, 20 pieces of DLC arent much. And if they are too expensive for some or not really a must have, just wait like i did with Barcelona.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pandytim99

that’s what I meant by you not having to sell your kidney to play with those cars in AMS 2

• Like Like x 2
  20. Eduardo Santis Torres

Eduardo Santis Torres Member

Maybe one of these to race at Le Mans, or is it too extravagant?:whistle::D
    1366_2000.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1