Automobilista 2 December 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Tah Pope

Tah Pope New Member

But only one dlc has been released on saturday.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. jonnyb1990

jonnyb1990 New Member

I’ve never heard driver error and death by FCY as “BoP” before, but it might be muffled by the tin foil hat ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. OnTheLimitYT

OnTheLimitYT New Member AMS2 Club Member

The class is either a BOP class or it is not a BOP class. If it is a BOP class then the performance of the cars needs to be balanced. Getting spun and being 20 seconds behind the field was only a small inconvenience to the Toyota which reclaimed it's spot without any issues slicing through the entire field uncontested because of its performance advantage.

Many people act as if the rug was pulled out from under Toyota at Le Mans. Like they were nowhere. They finished in second place solidly and had every opportunity to win that race as well. The only difference from the rest of the season is that it wasn't just Toyota that had a chance to win.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. SunBro

SunBro Active Member

Well, we only had 2 (new) dlc releases in 2023 so far :)

Excluding nurb historic and vw demo

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

Last year was 3: DLC on 30th. Now its only 2

6. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe he should've outsourced it:Do_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Laulenture

Laulenture The me of sim racing AMS2 Club Member

For those stressing, not today, but an RC release is still doable this weekend

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  8. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And for good measure they got rewarded with an incredibly OP balance of power for the rest of the season so that they would not rage quit the series.

• Like Like x 1
  9. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Those BoP changes were supposed to happen in boundaries that were agreed upon by all parties before the season, it was absolutely clear to not change the BoP per manufacturer at all before Le Mans and a BoP change per platform was only possible every 2 Races.
    Then the ACO changed the BoP without manufacturers approval (which would have been necessary for this kind of change) per manufacturer 4 days before Le Mans, hitting Toyota the hardest.

And Ferrari drivers made plenty of mistakes as well, just that they were obviously so much faster that it didn't matter in the end. The BoP change was estimated to have made a difference of at least 2:30 minutes on the race distance, Ferrari won by 1:21 minutes.

And saying the Toyotas had a "performance advantage" when the Ferraris were very clearly the fastest cars in the race is a pretty weird statement. Sure, a advantage to the other manufacturers, but absolutely not to Ferarri.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

I agree Ferrari had an easier time of it but also really felt like ACO hammered the LMDh cars hardest so that 'their' HyperCar formula would win. Messing with BoP in raceweek was just silly though, and the changes they made clearly had an impact on competitiveness, fell into the old SRO trap of just doing too much in one go rather than do it incrementally.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. The Walker

The Walker Active Member

I need a new F5 button

• Funny Funny x 9
  12. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Toyota were quite upset, actually really pissed. They put out a statement right after the race, hot. Quite unusual for them, almost unprofessional ^^ Can't find it now, they might have deleted it xD Late BoP changes are not so unusual. Toyota were still quite competitive, iirc what cost them a chance to win were driver mistakes and issues with the cars.

Maybe they were hit a bit too hard but sometimes that can happen. At the end of the day it was a great race and a great show for the audience, and quite frankly: Ferrari winning Le Mans after so many years (50!) of absence in the top class with a tribute livery to the 312PB, in which they won last time, was a great story for the history books. ^^

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  13. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

I like that new content is on the way, but I am so busy figuring out how to drive many of the new cars in the game and DLC. I've barely touched the Hi-Tech models because I'm still going through what is now a huge roster of choices. The Vintage and Retro classes are so fun now. You really have to drive them, figure when the grip will kick and react accordingly. I've barely touched much of the content because it so easy to get stuck in on tuning a car to its utmost. I ain't missing a thing!

• Like Like x 2
  14. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

FWIW, the best piece of driving advice I can give when becoming familiar with any car in AMS2 is the following: Focus on Trail Braking. Watch a video on the subject from Driver61 or someone similar if necessary, and then go out an really pay attention to how you come off the brakes as you are turning into the corner, and then how you get back on the throttle as you exit. That being said, if you get the trail braking done right, the throttle part is pretty easy. Tires only have a finite amount of grip at any moment, so you have to dynamically optimize the braking and the steering to keep the car dancing in the limit. AMS2 really rewards proper trail braking as well as any sim I can recall at the moment—and it’s the best way I’ve found to help its simulated driving model avoid that “slidey” feeling—and help your laptimes improve in an authentic way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So this means that some cars previously released were not all done in house then? Not that it makes a difference to me, just curious now.

16. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Le Mans was the only race where all manufacturers had the same pace. They remained close by until midnight when some of them started making mistakes. It was the only race where every manufacturer lead the race at some point and not just because of pit stops, but for extended periods of time.
    With 4 hours to go P1 and P2 were 18s apart until the remaining Toyota lost it at Arnage.
    The fact that they changed the BOP before the race when there was no such plan, doesn't mean the BOP as such was unfair as the facts demonstrated that there was extremely close competition.
    While it is pretty obvious just by reading numbers that after that race Toyota got a ridiculous advantage in power and energy storage that is not justified by the little difference in weight vs Ferrari which was the only competitive manufacturer using the same LMH regulations set. Below is how they raced in Bahrain, which makes no sense to anyone with reasonable impartial mind as it gives Toyota advantage to choose whether to push to max power leveraging on the extra energy or just play the strategy and win it by saving a whole stop over 6 hours. Against 5 kg penalty over 1080 kg. Also considering that the weight does not include drivers where probably car #51 having all tall drivers ended up being heavier than Toyota in the real world.
    A joke.
    upload_2023-12-30_0-29-3.png

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I don't understand the draw of all this BOP stuff.. What story is it when other cars are nobbled so your car is more competitive.. You win.. Big Deal. Maybe this is why I don't follow any of these BOP race series. May as well have a standard chassis, car, engine etc and just put different plastic bodywork on them,.. There you go.. Enjoy the series.

The Ferrari 499P looks fantastic though.. Its even my PC wallpaper :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  18. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Maybe this is why I'm so attracted to current day Indycar... It foregoes all these complications and just leaves basic setup and a couple tire choices as tools to try and find a winning strategy.

19. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Ferrari was 1.5 seconds quicker in qualifying and clearly the quickest car in the race. The Toyotas had to be on the limit the whole race to even be in somewhat of a striking distance while the Ferraris didn't which can obviously lead to mistakes like the one a few hours before the end.
    The ACO made a BoP change out of the blue 4 days before the event which hit the Toyotas the hardest, was not part of the agreement the manufacturers and the ACO/FIA had and in this case made the difference of the winner.

And the Bahrain BoP has aboslutely nothing to do with anything I said, no clue why you are even bringing it up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Hya6GT

Hya6GT New Member

I kind of wish they picked the 499p and toyota gr010 instead of the porsche and the bmw

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3