Automobilista 2 December 2023 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you want to see BoP done right look at IMSA. All 4 GTP manufacturers were competitive at points throughout the season and all 4 of them also won a race with the championship coming down to the final race between multiple cars. When done right BoP gives us the competition seen in spec series without everything having to look and sound the same, it's the best of both worlds. However, when it's done wrong it feels especially horrid as it's like the series itself is trying to push one or two teams to succeed (key word feels, the reality is probably not this).

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

>Had better BOP the entire year
    >loses one race
    >coulda won if it wasn't for the brake issue causing their driver to crash
    >blame BOP

go figure lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pandytim99

I WANT THEM ALL BABY

4. Pandytim99

And toyota fans on twitter have the audacity of criticizing the Le Mans BOP while ignoring the BOP of all the other races

The only ones that could complain about BOP at Le Mans was Caddy and maybe Vanwall

5. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

As for BOP in AMS2, racing in the McLaren MP4/7 against Nigel’s “Williams” and Schumi’s “Benetton” is one of the greatest challenges today in simracing—unless you’re one of the aliens who always find 120 AI too slow.

[Granted, BOP doesn’t really exist in F1–but it should be an option in those classes that clearly prioritize it in their regulations.]

6. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

And I would have loved to see the Peugeot, sadly we can't all get what we wish for and it isn't as simple for Reiza as "picking" cars to add :D

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

1.5 s on 13.8 km circuit is like 0.5s on a normal one. Also Toyota was on par almost to the hundredth of a second until the last sector where they encountered traffic at Porsche's curves and their lap was damaged.
    Every car was pushing to the max the whole race Ferrari included, they just were better in that they did not make costly mistakes (or better the one they made across the night at the first chicane of the Hunaudieres luckily did not put them one lap down).
    The BoP in Bahrain is important because it shows how after Le Mans the BoP was skewed three times in favor of Toyota to make sure they would win the championship so that they would not quit.

It is the usual manipulation of BoP we have seen also in 2021 when WEC wanted the GTE championship to go down to the last race in Bahrein: Bahrein had two races and in the first one they hit so hard the 488 GTE that they became suddenly the slowest GTE by a mile and were lapped over and over. That prevented Pier Guidi from winning one race early as Porsches went undisturbed 1-2 miles ahead.
    Then for the last race they axed the penalties they just handed over the previous week end and there was a competitive race with 911 and 488 racing close.

WEC should really quit manipulating results this way in the tail end of the season

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Maybe they should hand out the finishing order they want to see prior to the race starting and impose penalty points depending how far away from that position you end up :D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Eagle Dynamics have less drama releasing updates.

Please, go back to beta branch.

10. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

So, essentially, you need to be Ayrton himself to pull off his drives? :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

I totally agree with you. That's what I'm working ATM, "dancing on the limit". It's totally different with the more analog models, like the Lotus 49C and the Brabham 26A. The response to input is always a little delayed, you gotta feel and wait for it. I go back to GP Legends days and you are so right, AMS2 really rewards you for proper driving style like no other sim I have raced. I also want to add that AMS2 also makes you pay attention to every part of the track surface. After a while, you gain a little edge here or there by taking advantage of every bump and undulation your tires can find.
    Should note that I mostly use rfuktor 5.0.1k for ffb. Any of the rfuktor ones are good but I think the latest one really emphasizes road feedback. I drive using an Alpha U with GTS wheel. Eager to see when I upgrade my pedals to P1000.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  12. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Totally agree; the truly 3-dimensional nature of driving in AMS2, in terms of the dynamic interaction between car and track topography, is one of the main reasons why AMS2 has become the primary sim I drive these days, especially as most of the time I'm opting for a single-player experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Spec racing is great, it makes for close and exciting races because everyone has the same tech. Freedom of design is another way of organising a grid. Having so many different manufacturers, with different concepts and engine sizes, naturally aspirated or turbocharged, makes this top class so exciting. You want to have fair competition and a level playing field, so you need a process to manage that, that's why BoP exists.

I remember watching a Bathurst 12h race and I remember that battle between an Aston Martin, an Audi, an AMG and a Nissan. A V12 vs V10 vs V8 vs V6 were having an amazing battle over more than one hour up and down the mountain, constantly on the edge, it was spectacular. Why? Because it works, BoP works.

Currently in IMSA/WEC you can choose between LMDh and LMH. You can choose whether going AWD in your LMH or RWD, you can choose whatever engine size or even type you want, even rotary would be allowed (Come on Mazda, do it!), and all that has to be balanced in some way, because you don't want to see 1 or 2 manufacturers driving away into the sunset in every race. Sometimes that happens and the best way to make it fair again is BoP.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

So what's the incentive to improve your car then? It seems pointless if you will only get penalised later for it. Its an honest question. Are you just trying to get that short lived advantage before there is more BOP introduced to smother your improvements?

15. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In endurance racing not the fastest cars and teams win races but those who spend less time in the pits, so you need a reliable car first and foremost, and that's hard enough. Improving your car means making it more reliable and with a good strategy you can win races, but you need fair competition in the first place.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

The idea should be to create a level playing field to be able to win if you do the best job. That is a bit easier when there is only one platform with strict regulations, but in that case we have two platforms, one with pretty strict regulations with LMDh and one with not so strict regulations in LMH.
    Balancing this is extremely difficult when you see how completely different the cars in LMH are and you consider things like Toyota already being in the 3rd year with their car. That's why they set milestone points to reevaluate BoP to keep the field closer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso Active Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

They better order Pizza for the devs instead :D

• Funny x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  18. Todd Norbury

Todd Norbury norbs AMS2 Club Member

Hawaiian with chilli for me please and thank you.

• Funny Funny x 18
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. kingkoenig

kingkoenig Active Member

Please do not start the debate about Pineapple on a pizza. This could get ugly. :D

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. No Insurance

No Insurance New Member

The pizza in Brazil is great, so is the sushi ✨️
    Cream cheese for the win ✌️

• Funny Funny x 1