VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Works here. Try some formula cars at vintage Interlagos with low light.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wickfut

wickfut Member

I've tried all sorts. I put about 3 hours in since the update and not seen a single road spark, only the flames out of exhausts.
    very strange.

3. Ernesto_171

Particles HIGH. Parcicles density I can't see much change.

As you can see, sometimes sparks are great, sometimes... Meh. I'll like If they someday can be more erratic, like in real life, but this Will need só much work for few benefits, probably.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  4. wickfut

wickfut Member

I'm not getting those sparks at all, neither am I getting water splashes behind the cars. So my particle effects are set to off when they're on full.
    I get mud and stones though?
    Deleted game files, deleted My Documents game folder and deleted Steam Save folder.
    Fingers crossed.
    What headset/GPU are you using?
    I looked at a few VR youtube videos since the new update dropped and none of those have sparks either.
    Wonder if it's some sort of DirectX or Nvidia driver issue?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  5. Ernesto_171

R7 5800X and 3060Ti, Quest 2. Nothing really special. But these sparks are rare in other classes and even in F1 ingame, so I tested in this ancient Monza madness.

Sparks really near player car are really nice now, but everything rendered far away is a mess, non aligned right-left eye, crazy sprites.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LooseyMoosey

LooseyMoosey Member

Apologies if this has been asked before but could someone explain the sharpening settings in the XML file?

I understand the sharpening strength but what does the clamp and offset bias do exactly?

7. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member

VR related, Can we have a TV camera in the monitor section similar to rFactor2 , so when the AI co- driver takes over, the human player can go back to pit and watch AI from monitor?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wickfut

wickfut Member

Don't touch them, it's how the sharpening looks and blends with surrounding pixels.

9. LooseyMoosey

LooseyMoosey Member

Roger that, thanks.
    Although I see comments and settings from other folks who have changed these from default and was wondering the reason.

10. wickfut

wickfut Member

Think of the offset bias as the radius and clamp as the upper limit per pixel sharpened.
    So maybe on lower resolution HMD they were seeing halo type aliasing or something and needed to limit it.

11. Ape-xer-75

Ape-xer-75 New Member

Is it possible to hide the drivers torso in VR, so that just the hands would be visible? Or set the minimum rendering distance farther away?

Because in many cars, the virtual driver is nowhere near to the position, that I would sit in that particular car.

If the driver is really far from the wheel, it does not really matter.

But for example in the GT1 Mercedes, the driver is so near the wheel, that the drivers suit gets in the view, if I adjust the seating position to my liking.

And the driver in GT4 McLaren is a giant, that has the shortest possible legs o_O. If I set the VR "head position" to where the drivers helmet should be, I am way too close to the wheel, and way too high.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You can move your seat position in the car, I think WASD are the default keybindings. The drivers limbs stretch to account for the change, once you have a spot that feels right, then you can just recenter your VR view.

I usually push my head back a touch extra and then press recenter, so that clipping through the body isn't noticeable. And there is a clipping distance setting that you can play around with as well, I think it's in the VR settings tab in the main menu.

13. Ernesto_171

I just enable driver body in VR to record videos.

Try drive with just animated wheel. After a while, believe me, it's more immersive and save few FPS too. And you can set freely seat and head position.

14. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Alright so many more tests later and i seem to have been having an issue with the VR performance because i was running the graphical settings TOO LOW ! Once i set everything to HIGH / ON, i am now having much better performance ? Could it have been because i was causing a CPU bottleneck as my GPU was not properly / fully utilized ? I am not having a fully smooth framerate but the game is running super good at 80 hz , 1.0 resolution ratio . Also turning off ASW seem to improve performance too. Still using vertical screen scale at 0.5 .

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. Bernd18995

Bernd18995 Member

Thats good to hear.
    Theoretically could have been a cpu bottleneck, yes.
    Turning off ASW aids performance as per the example:
    Native Refresh of Headset is 90 Hz, game drops to 85 Hz, ASW would then drop down to 45 Hz in terms of real frames and interpolate the other 45 Hz. This depends on the headset in question and their implementation of ASW, some may be more lenient to frame drops below native, others more aggressive and will drop to 50% FPS pretty much immediately.

16. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried the Helmet cam with VR? It looks the helmet overlay is covering too much screen no?

17. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

I came from the real old-skool 80s/90s way of thinking, where simply lowering graphics boosts frame rates. Getting back into PC gaming 6 years ago(for VR), after dropping it in the late 2000s, I've had to learn the dynamics of CPU/GPU bottlenecking, that was totally opposite to what I grew up learning.
    Lowering the graphics too much for GPU speed, meant that the CPU could no longer keep up, so I also learned that turning some graphical settings UP yields better overall performance, as the CPU & GPU were more in sync. I'm now running at 120Hz in the headset, and it's running better. :eek:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ernesto_171

With anything higher than a Ryzen 7 5800X and a 3060Ti - Oculus Quest 2, If someone want to get 120 FPS in all circuits with Full Grid at 120 FPS (no headlights and heavy rain) and no less than 60 FPS in rain or night with headlights, with good visuals, some settings to start:

Quest 2:

Max resolution in 120Hz mode;

FOV at .675 horizontal and .275 vertical. Auto ASW. Link at default settings.

AMS 2:

Change settings like you desire, but don't go lower SHADOWS MEDIUM - TEXTURES HIGH - TEXTURE FILTERING ANISO 16X - AA MSAA MEDIUM. I like keeping reflections at least medium, for nice visuals in wet track, and bloom effect on too. Remember to keep vsync off in VR.

And I disable driver body in options and in camera settings, original head moviment (1), 25 smoothing, and ALL G-forces effects at 25 - better immersion and feeling of car moving in VR.

19. Ape-xer-75

Ape-xer-75 New Member

Unfortunately the drivers limbs do not stretch at all. At least not for me. The drivers position is given absolutely as is, and I have not found any way to change it. And by the "drivers position", I mean the virtual rendered driver.

With recentering the VR view, or by "moving the seat position" one can only change the point of view.

Try the GT4 McLaren, and you will surely notice what I mean. If I position my view on top of the virtual drivers collar (neck), my view is so high, that I cant even see the backlights of the car in front of me in the starting grid (the roof of the car gets in the way). And the view is so near the windshield, that I can see the bonnet. Breaks the immersion totally.

And if I position my view to my liking, I can see the drivers collar (neck) right in front of me partly blocking the wheel.

Yes, there is a setting for this, but I already have it in max setting. Does anyone know a way to increase it more by editing some config file or something?

I just hope, that some day, in some VR focused sim, you could actually configure the virtual driver with your own measurements and it would be rendered by those measurements. And then allowing to actually move the rendered seat and also move the rendered wheel, as you would do in a real car.

20. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can't understand how you don't get shimmer/flicker on those shadow details from having the high/ultra shadows. That's the main reason I don't want to keep it higher than low. (I actually don't notice huge effect on performance on having it high).

As for Quest 3, which I have, at the moment it's capped to the 90fps with the link cable, and at least with that the ASW sucks and just causes stuttering, it's unusable.

Unlike you, I have to increase the sharpness quite a bit to make it bearable, even though it causes additional shimmering too, which I hate. On default values, (0) the game is not nearly sharp enough in the distance to be enjoyable if you have tracks where you see far into the horizon like Le Mans.

Those FOV values are definitely close to what I'm running (about 0.8 / 0.3 for me), as that makes the biggest difference with performance being smooth and I don't made "helmet" limited vertical fov in a sim at all, especially in a non-open wheeler.

Still haven't got it be good enough picture to ditch my ultrawide in favor of VR in more serious racing (I'm just using it occasional for some immersion and casual racing).