1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I went down the rabbit hole of tweaking graphics last night in an attempt to find a good balance between sunny/night/rain, something I'd not done for along while. I spent hours changing settings, exiting to reload the sim and in the end the only major change I ended up making was turning MSAA completely off. Practically went right around the houses and determined that one change was enough, sure it looks jaggy and is an eyesore but it's the only way I can get decent FPS at Night in the Rain.

Wanting to run endurance races through the night means I have to settle for low graphics in the day time, which does suck of course, be great if there was an ability to automatically load a saved preset for when the sun sets/rises. That way I could run decent looking graphics in the daytime and then see them drop for the night, but then when it rains during the day the FPS is just as bad as during the night unfortunately, even cloudy weather (as mentioned many times before) bogs down the performance for some odd reason.

Using OpenXR Toolkit for my Reverb G2 I'm down to 60% res, which is by far the lowest of any Flight/Racing Sim I own, I tried editing the following but it didn't seem to make a difference, anyone had any luck with this particular line?:
    <prop name="LowSuperSampling" lowsupersampling="0" />
    I was hoping if that worked then I could bump the OpenXR Toolkit res up a bit (kinda like what I do with MSFS) but changing the 0 to any value didn't appear to do anything.

Although it is good to see steps are being made to help (Visible Vehicles) which in other Sims helps greatly for VR users, but there's still a lot more needed in terms of optimisation and with GPU prices still so painfully high then I'm stuck with my 3070ti for a good couple of years to come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Somehow my experience with msaa influencing significantly performances

But AMS2 has such bad aliasing thanks to Madness engine that it is really painful in VR especially at night or rain conditions
    Thats with a Q2 a pico4 or neo3 link but the latter is the best actually maybe some influence of the DP port or the panel itself i dont know

If we talk about performances improvement alternative , for me with the Q2 it was using vrperfkit by changing resolution scale with fsr and adjusting foveted rendering so i could pull locked 90fps in any conditions

With the pico4 it is using VDXR and opencomposite to unlock better perfs

Didnt find a way with tbe neo3 link so far but will test tjis weekend

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

I run with Textures max, Aniso 16x, MSAA medium, and default graphics config files, without any sharpen, and Shadows at ultra. Quest 2 Max resolution at 120Hz. Zero shimmering. But it's in Quest 2. ASW at 60 FPS is the only ASW that works like suposed to work for me.

4. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I had some issues to get the those FOV changes to apply. Basically I had to have the tool (either oculus debug tool or oculus tray tool) open, but not the oculus app itself and then use the headset to open the oculus link (which opens the app on PC) before it actually started using the values.

I got my first VR headset, Quest 3 just before holidays and have been trying to make it work acceptable for sims starting with AMS2, but definitely not yet happy with it and continuing to race using my ultrawide instead (fortunately I didn't bought the set only simracing in mind). The settings suggested by @Ernesto_171 for quest 2 actually were probably the best starting point from all the things that I have seen suggested. The FOV was a bit narrow vertically for my liking (even if it would be close to helmet vertical fov) though .. but it's very good way getting more performance and being able to run higher graphical settings. I still have to try few things, like how well the auto-ASW would work for me as the night time performance especially is really bad even with the limited FOV (even though I have access to the beta, I didn't yet have time to play around with the limiting of number of cars visible option coming in the upcoming release).

Biggest issues I have had have been the lack of sharpness from more far away stuff and flickering/shimmering, which is at least as awful. If I increase the sharpness -> more of that flickering/shimmering that makes it look horrible and makes me start feeling sick, but if I don't do it at all, it's too blurry and also looks bad (try Long Beach for example of horrible flickering/shimmering no matter what you do...). I'm currently using link cable, as I definitely don't have good enough wlan / router setup currently for even trying out VD or those other wireless options.

Oh, the headset is not really comfrotable either on my face, to get the best picture, I have to set it up in such way that it puts too much pressure on my cheekbones to be pleasant for a longer duration. I'm waiting for some 3rd party solutions to be release that could help with that..

Without getting the picture to look good / very natural, I don't get really much better immersion than with my ultrawide setup, I just get the disadvantages of a VR outside maybe better feeling of speed that helps with braking a bit...

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ernesto_171

I don't know how the engine handles rendering, but at least with Quest 2, shadows in ULTRA and texture filtering at Aniso 16x solves a lot of issues. All other settings can go really low without big visual quality impact.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

You are speaking about a now unsupported device, and a subpar experience compared even with current standalone devices in terms of screen door, resolution and image clarity.

Yes, I had the original CV1 which I bought for $400 in 2017, and yes I used the Rift S too. My current Quest 2 is by far better than those two for PCVR, for $300 in 2021.

Now, which PCVR dedicated device I can buy right now, new, for the same price as a base Quest 3? The only option was the now discontinued Reverb G2, so, right now, I need to invest more than $1000 to get a proper PCVR headset plus base stations. It's a no go for many, many people.

And that's what I was referring: currently, PCVR hardware is expensive. This tech, instead becoming cheaper as time goes on, is becoming very expensive and seems like hardware vendors are only interested in the high end niche of PCVR users. That is killing PCVR in favour of the standalone offerings, and the sad part of the story is developers follow the trend, so we PCVR users face poor ports, less native games and apps, and in some cases, neither of those two.

7. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Hello i hear you and understand the frustration but there are the pico devices that could fill the gap
    I bought a p4 that is now going back to amazon as i found a cheap but superb condition neo3 link
    PICO Neo3 Link スタンドアロンVRヘッドセット | PICO Japan

With the DP port nothing now comes close for me beig my Q2 or the p4 even using VD and pushing high resolution

The picture quality is just great and now that i tweaked the comfort to suit me its a keeper

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

USB Charging Hub for mobile VR ?
    Hello, anyone here using one of these to increase the battery life when playing VR ?
    I cannot find a proper place where anyone would be discussing this, only on some random forums from many months ago.
    84650b1.jpg
    I got one that is ages old and it increases the Quest 3 battery life from 2.5 hours to 7, but it is USB-A and i believe that has decreased transfer speed.
    486450b1.jpg

9. FaanBE

FaanBE Member

I use something like this, in combination with this.

10. TomLehockySVK

Thanks ! Could you please post a photo of how you have the things plugged in ?

11. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

12. FaanBE

FaanBE Member

I followed this: Reddit - Dive into anything

13. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Side note
    Really happy to see so many people posting on this thread sharing their VR experience and especially in AMS2

Gives me a strong hope that VR is getting more exposure in SimRacing and a path to change its image of niche for us, proud VR headsets users

Happy holidays Reiza and everyone here

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. noel spence

noel spence Member AMS2 Club Member

new update has not fixed the lights at night issue, still the same dips down from 90 fps too 50 fps with 24 cars me in front with a 7900 xtx hp reverb 2

• Like Like x 1
  15. mlsxld

mlsxld New Member

The option to set number of visible vehicles dose not work properly, setting 20 cars visible in a 30 car race, cars before just appear and disappear frequently, totally destory the race.

An optimization for this option is limiting number of visible cars behind player's car rather than those before players, or changing the direction for the option, limit the number of cars casting light especially those behind player. But not sure whether it is possible in Madness Engine.

Still a long way to go for the night performance optimazation, In my case 3080ti with Pimax 8kx day to night FPS drops from 75 to 35:(

16. TomLehockySVK

THIS is what i was saying ages ago - we need an option "cars rendered in front" and a separate "cars rendered behind". Having just a "closest number of cars" feels useless if i need only 4 closest behind me but i want at least 8 in front.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. mlsxld

mlsxld New Member

That is the point, so much light casted by cars behind is annoying and kills a lot performance.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ernesto_171

Yes. I tested this new feature and for me it is useless. A better solution is an option to turn on number of visible cars behind player only. Better for performance and much better for immersion.

And metal sparks need to be rendered going much higher for open wheelers. Now they are nice, but few and flat over the track.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mlsxld

mlsxld New Member

An alternative way is limit the number of cars casting light, like only the nearest 8 cars cast light (including before and behind), other cars with bright headlight but no actual light ray casted. But not sure whether it is achievable in Madness Engine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. wickfut

wickfut Member

You know the new floor contact sparks that's in the game, is anyone getting them in VR?
    I'm no longer getting any sparks at all in VR other than if I hit a barrier and I see them to the side of my vision. Done a fresh install and everything.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024