Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Doesn't remotely address my (and many others) issue so I am not sure what it is you are talking about exactly. Perhaps you can explain what happens when you set Max Visible to 12. I can happily have 30 cars in front of me at night in the grid. No problems at all. If I however start at the FRONT of the grid, frame rate is crushed. So the solution provided is good for those whose hardware is under par, but it does nothing to address the other issue which people have been talking about for over a year now. The cars behind at night crushing the frame rate excessively. VR Sparks completely broken for months on end.

So I beg to differ. So be it.

Apologies for sounding and coming across harsh. I just got a tad frustrated :D . I know these guys work their butts off.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Yeah that is something I would like to know. It seems like all the other sims do it differently than AMS2 and they are quite extreme in that department. That is also why I ask if someone knows how the curve is in real life and if that is something we even know or can know.
    That way we could know which one is realistic in that department (it could be even more difficult I guess with many parameters).
    Now it is something we don't know. It could very well be that Reiza can get that curve correct or maybe it is already realistic and the others are unrealistic or it could be a choice by Reiza to make it more accessible.

3. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think reality is probably somewhere in the middle. All sims are approximation of reality and along the way some assumptions and estimates have to be made. Historically sims have gone for a more peaky approach to the curve and Reiza have decided to go with a more shallow curve.
    Somewhere in between is probably correct, but difficult to nail.

• Like Like x 3
  4. BazzaLB

5. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

The only major issue is render just 12 or less cars ahead when the game engine can render 31 with almost same FPS.

With the settings I use no problem at all with cars ahead, but behind with headlights on, the same cars number drops like 30-40% FPS.

So, no gains for pop up of cars ahead.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Eduardo Santis Torres

Eduardo Santis Torres Member

I had been saying the same thing since they released update 1.5.0.5. I don't know why they eliminated that animation in the automatic shifting. I couldn't find any logic for that point. :( I hope they reverse it.

7. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

made same comments in the main VR thread, this doesn't work at all in such scenario that you have cars, even just a couple, behind you despite using all the VR tweakeries (openxrtoolkit, vrperfkit)
    only positive effect in my user case is MSAA to low or completely off

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. BazzaLB

I don't agree with this at all. I find rf2 pretty predictable and as a direct result that makes it easy to drive fast. That video posted by Nils sums it up perfectly.. there is far too greater range of being "optimal" in AMS2. You can oversteer through a bend and be "optimal", understeer through a bend and be "optimal", do neither of the two and still be "optimal". I personally am starting to think the SETA tyre model is not capable of any peakyness to its slip curves. Its all fun, and especially good for VR, the day/night/weather transitions in my view are unmatched, but I never feel like I am on the verge of a spin... a 45 degree rotate with auto correct maybe, but thats about it. I'm glad someone has posted a video about it (Nils). Maybe people will start taking it seriously..

Edit: I have to keep editing my posts because I can see the frustration coming through and they sound insulting which I don't mean to be.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'll point you to something Renato said the other day that he said we could share.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
  10. BazzaLB

So are you dismissive of Nils video? I am NOT one of these "same people" I believe as I have not made this complaint before actually. I just did a "wait and see".

But key to this is the following from that Renato quote
    Some of us still think its a bit too shallow and equally the front and rear sit quite differently on it (as outline in Nils Video).

And .. with all due respect.. Renato said this before about the physics being pretty much where they need to be.. and then they changed (fixed) the diffs and then the tires....even fixing some duality with conflicting tire models bug... so.. some of us still hope for further improvement and refinement to these curves. At the very least, this is a forum and I welcome all discussion on the topic (as should they). Its the dislikes without discussion that are non-helpful IMHO.

I am sure Renato also has his levels of frustration with the ME. I am sure he didnt expect to be fixing so many underlying issues (bugs) and thought they could concentrate on just implementing and refining their content within the engine provided. They have done an amazing job to find these bugs and do their best to correct them. I just hope they remain open to constructive criticism and equally take time to disagree if thats is indeed what they believe.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Split Second

Thanks for the post. I have forgotten or never seen this addressed by Renato. So it seems they are still working on it. Which is great to hear. It would be nice to know if we have some real-life data on this and if we have if it is relevant.

12. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not dismissive of his video. He said multiple times in the video that he wasn't arguing what is right and what is wrong, he was just explaining how AMS2 tire peak works compared to other titles. I find you're taking his video out of context and using it as a way to justify your own issue with how tires and grip work in AMS2. I just provided that quote from Renato to let you know that if you're expecting a dramatic change that you're expecting something that won't come.

I'll also say that all this talk about cars slide too much in AMS2, it's unrealistic, it's a simcade, not as serious, etc are rich. I'm honestly over everyone who is constantly moaning about the handling in this game. It is one thing to come constructive criticism, but when you make comments like "I'm just not sure the SETA tire model is capable of handling peakiness" you're just coming off like a know it all armchair physicist. I posted what Renato said to directly respond to that comment of yours. He is saying their is room for improvement, but they also like how AMS2 handles and if you can't accept that then I don't know what to tell you, but continuing to moan about limitations of the game engine you have zero working experience with is just a waste of your time. I'll just leave this video from Joseph Newgarden too when it comes to discussions of peakiness.

• Like x 9
    • Winner x 9
    • Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes, but we're simulating race cars here. Did any cars running in the 24 Le Mans race this past year at any point not have their headlights on?

I think other series just have lights on or off as there is no flashing related to faster and slower classes.

???

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Marc Collins

Does it break the immersion more than using automatic shifting?

I doubt this will be a high priority fix until lots of other animation-related issues that affect all users are resolved.

• Dislike x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  15. Split Second

He isn't saying that he likes how AMS2 handles that is why he says this "Undeniably tho there is a bit of a shallow peak still, and while unfortunately it´s not a switch we can just flick off to disable it we do have some tricks up our sleeve still that we hope will further reduce that if not completely eliminate it."
    He is saying that he thinks that being too peaky and the model of ACC is wrong.
    What I do find strange (and I have talked funnily enough with someone on youtube about this" is that many pro drivers are glowingly positive about ACC and also AC. That someone on youtube keeps dissing on AMS2 because no pro drivers endorse it (and I mean not in a promotional way like F1 or so but some who like to drive simulators like Max Verstappen and such"

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Marc Collins

Not ignored, but the team believes the performance issues are not only related to cars behind as they explained. And, "it's" has an apostrophe :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Marc Collins

Did you listen to Josef Newgarden (in the video clip)? Someone who uses sims, but also drives real race cars, including ones in the sims? That very brief articulation should be enough to shut less informed mouths....but of course will not...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. BazzaLB

I chose to ignore the apostrophe :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I’m having no trouble going into a full believable spin into the barriers at the Porsche curves while trying to keep up with others ahead of me on the leaderboard, it goes full sideways and then backwards into the barrier not unlike what you would see irl in a high speed scenario.

I feel the exact moment the back goes and it’s not saveable after that point at all

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Marc Collins

On this yaw and slip topic, I will also post the main section of a message I put on the beta forum, which not everyone here can access:

I was driving the F-Trainers at Taruma last eve and had a slight epiphany myself about yaw and slip angles. Having driven a similar race car in real life, I was reminded why I love the very communicative nature of AMS 2 versus other sims. If entering a corner too hot, both the FFB and the visual representation on the screen YELLED at me that I was losing the rear end of the vehicle--and almost made me clench my sphincter the way the real car did when you realized you were driving a rear-engined, tail-heavy car and just did something dumb that is likely to result in the back of the car passing you into the rest of the turn. This feedback is exaggerated--at least by comparison to other sims and perhaps compared to real life--but it is highly effective. I know the wheel in my hand is doing more than steering and responding as the real car does. But that's the whole point--to give the richest feedback (including also audio) to the player so she knows what the car is doing in terms of balance and grip.

After having a couple of the butt-clenching moments, I went back to see if the tires and car were behaving plausibly. This turned out to be difficult because although I have more than the zero experience in real race cars of some well-known YT sim racing influencers, I can't say that I ever spent time throwing the F-2000 around like I would in the game. There was potential damage, expenses, personal health to think about. Sure, I pushed the car past its/my limits a couple of times, but I never tried drifting it around a high speed corner just so I could gauge how well the tires worked. After some further testing, my conclusion was that I could not determine if the behaviour of the tires at and past the limit was fully accurate or not. But, the sim made me feel like I was actually driving the real car whenever I approached the limit or exceeded it, which made me drive it as I would the real one, so in the end, it gets a pass. That's all I really want from a sim--for it to encourage or even demand realistic driving and racing techniques...while recognizing no consumer or even prosumer sim will ever be so accurate and precise as to be worth arguing over minutae. Compare to real life, or if you don't have any real life experience, be happy some that do are involved in the process and just enjoy the fruits of that work.

• Like Like x 15
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1