Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

FFB is a very personal thing, everyone likes different things.
    But I'm very happy with Maurice from Fanatec's profiles combined with a custom FFB file.

Link to profile download (you might need an account on the Fanatec forums):
    https://forum.fanatec.com/uploads/722/4X1Y9RYY3UKI.zip

The .zip file contains a custom FFB file, but I prefer to use Kuku's latest:
    AMS2 Custom FFB - Gt rFuktor V1 - By Kuku

• Like Like x 1
  2. vfragos

vfragos Member

Thank you, i will try it. Actually i do like a lot the default+ profile but when i put the FFB gain to about 10Nm whatever i tried including dampening in game and on fanatec driver side in high speeds over 130 - 140km i have major oscillations if i take of my hands of the wheel

3. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

I believe this is not the best way to do it.
    We set the GAIN so most cars stay at around 100% vehicle-specific FFB, then we fine tune adjust the later not to clip (too much).
    Both setting are just multiplier unless it's a custom file that uses GAIN to do other things other than gain itself.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. thun0r

thun0r New Member

Am gutted mate!

I've always used your files, without them I wouldn't still be playing this game and Reiza wouldn't have got more money out of me for their DLC's! It's sad that you'll no longer be updating your FFB files but understand people move on.

Thank you sincerely to help me enjoy this game more than I ever thought I could.

If you ever think about posting a Eureka file that you create please don't have second thoughts and post the damn thing :).

Thank you, glhf.

(now I hope Reiza fixes the VR stuttering introduced on the latest update in some HMD's)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. torsteinvh

Some custom files cause a lot of oscillations, while others don’t. I have given up trying to get rid of it. If I like a file, and it causes oscillations, I just keep my hands on the wheel :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

In theory, would it be possible to add some brake feel to the file?

7. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

i felt like there was a little brake feel naturally but need to test some more. Only managed to test a couple of different cars , they kinda felt the same as each other outside of overall strength. so need to see if it offers the same level of variety in feel between different cars .

8. dMASS

dMASS Member AMS2 Club Member

tried the rack force custom, feels incredible! very communicative. tried gt3, formula and lmdh cars. would love to see wheel speed dampened a bit when losing the car, has a pretty savage snap back. i made the change @Xzanman suggested to help with grainyness but also had to add some interplolation filter on the wb. i reckon a couple of tweaks on this and it is the holy grail custom

9. vfragos

vfragos Member

This is happening and with the default+ profile also? Whatever settings i tried everything over about 8nm i have major oscillations

10. TKracer

TKracer Active Member

Thanks for reaching out!

Yes I agree with you that there are times during heavy oversteer the wheel snaps back too strong, generally had that issue in AMS 2 with other profiles, but like you said some custom files probably sort that out.

I'm running my simucube 2 at around 12-14 nm so it doesn't bother me too much when it happens but like someone else mentioned, maybe there is a happy medium that one can find in these files to help with this issue.

Thanks!

11. torsteinvh

It's been a while since I used default or default+, but if I remember correctly you can use a combination of damping, natural friction and inertia in Fanalab to help with oscillations.
    Have a look at Maurice's profiles if you haven't for examples. Combined with the custom FFB he provides with the profiles my DD1 was almost free of oscillations.
    Damping in the in-game FFB settings have sometimes made oscillations worse on my DD1 for some reason...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rivanov

Rivanov New Member

Shout-out to Joaquim FFB file.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

What we have here is a stone soup effect :). We start with something simple and them we add things to it until it is no longer recognizable, but still there (how about brakes? And remove/add some kerb effects? And damping? And treating small details differently?...etc.)

Several custom files already use arm_force (a vector of internal front suspension forces over the steering wheel) as the main factor to get front axle info. Mine is in that line.
    Then we add something missing... :)

This code (from the @Alex291190 file):
    Code:
    #Some constants being defined, not really sure what all this does.
    #Looks like it's basically setting up the raw physics forces to be manipulated and spat out as FFB.

#Defining some kind of maximum force
    (max_overall_force 11500.0)

#Calculating the reciprocal of the above
    (recip_force ( / 1.0 max_overall_force))

#No idea, looks like it's calculating some kind of damping/smoothing value based on a preexisting ingame variable
    (mass_damper ( * M_smooth_samples 0.0))

#Using the above to apply some smoothing?
    (arm_force_smooth ( spring arm_force 0 0.0 mass_damper))
    (arm_force (if M_smooth_samples arm_force_smooth arm_force))

#Scaling the output of the physics engine based on physics force output?
    #Looks like the end result is the 'rack' variable which seems to be our force at the rack.
    (rack_scaled ( * arm_force ( / max_overall_force M_max_force_at_rack)))
    (rack_scaled ( * rack_scaled recip_force))
    (rack rack_scaled)
    Can be simply replaced by:
    Code:
    (rack (/ arm_force M_max_force_at_rack))

which normalizes tierods forces for each car (is my believe M_max_force_at_rack has a different value for each car). That's it! My file also does this before the start of post-processing.

If someone want to add effects to @Alex291190 file, just look at "JP's Effects" section of my file and be inspired :).
    Just use this line before:
    Code:
    (rack_coarse_lfb rack)
    and this line after:
    Code:
    (rack rack_coarse_lfb)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Remco

Remco New Member

I have the new sc dd 12 nm what are good custom profiles with new ams2 update
    i use the fanatec maurice custom file it is the latest version of it
    can i use the latest kuku"s file and what are the in game settings? now i have gain 38 lx 10 and damping 0 is that correct?

15. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

sorry for the late reply, high work commitments

Gain 80 as base, adjusted depending on car
    LFB 15
    FX 25
    Damping 30

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

you are best to open the file with notepad and read the description and settings guidelines.

17. vfragos

vfragos Member

You are absolutely correct, i just found that in default+ profile the more damping you add the more severe the oscillations are.

18. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I already pointed this out last year. An absolute “no go” for me in a simulation. This has absolutely nothing to do with realism

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Exorbit

Exorbit New Member

Thanks Joaquim.
    I tried your file yesterday and it's feels good!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

And to be clear I am using a MOZA r9 at 100% FFB and linear curve in the pit house drivers