Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

@XTRMNTR2K (or anyone interested)
    You can try this in my file to get more powerfull low end FFB signal (it doesn't affect relationships among different components, just amplifies everything keeping max output the same).
    Replace:
    Code:
    (output (* output gain 0.55))
    with:
    Code:
    (output (* output 0.65 0.55))
    (output (* (signo output) (power (abs output) (* (- 1 gain) 2))))
    The GAIN slider will act like this:
    • at 50 it does linear output, the same as original file (slashed red)
    • >50 it does a low force boost (blue line)
    • <50 it does the opposite (it doesn't matter to you ;))

upload_2024-1-16_10-14-35.png

ps - I haven't tested this code myself

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you mean the in-game damping? With the Default+ profile you can reduce the oscillation very well by increasing the NDP value in the Fanatec DD1. I have no oscillation with the settings
    AMS2FFB.jpg

3. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

First off, thanks a lot for taking the time to figure this out. I just tried it, and the first thing I noticed was my wheel rattling like crazy at standstill. After settling for 70-75 ingame gain and reducing LFB to 0 things get a little better overall but I am still getting a significant amount of wheel shake when standing still, though.

The good news: There is more tightness at the center - steering resistance is much higher than before. The bad news is that this tends to drown out most other effects (and makes steering a tiresome affair across the board). Also haven't figured out an ideal FX value yet, as some of the "rattling" effects are still too pronounced when you otherwise barely get any road noise.

Question: Which of the values would I need to adjust if I wanted to lessen the built-in LFB effect and flatten the curve to be closer to a being linear? I assume the first two numbers in the first line are the ones I want to change, just not sure how yet. Either way, I think I'll fiddle around with them for a bit.

If I find something that works for my wheel (better than what I had dialed in yesterday) I'll post it here.

4. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Interesting

Moza has such FFB curvatures to chose from and i am using it in some sims&cars combo but with your custom FFB I really didntvfeel the need

Will give that parameter a try to see how that differs from Moza offering

5. XTRMNTR2K

After playing a bit with the numbers I ended up reverting to the stock V9 files, and my in-game FFB settings are now as follows:

Gain: 90
    LFB: 10
    FX: 0
    Damping: 0

These settings provide great and very direct sense of connection to the car and the road. While setting FX to 0 removes the (artificial?) road noise I can still feel enough of the vertical forces through the wheel, i.e. when going over kerbs. The upside is that the feedback feels much more "pure" and the forces are very well-balanced thanks to the linear approach. (Additionally, it's also possible to remove LFB altogether, but I like the extra tightness a setting between 5 and 15 provides here.)

6. vfragos

vfragos Member

Correct, i'm talking about the in game damping. If you haven't any oscillations probably is because you have your total FFB gain lower than 7Nm or even lower or you have lowered the in game dampening. I found that i get the best FFB with Maurice fanalab profiles which it has profiles for every car auto loading in fanalab. Someone gave me a link for it a few pages back.

7. Joaquim Pereira

:D:D:D:D
    I guess we'll have to put that formula before in the pipeline.
    When I have some time, I'll do it.

Yes, that's to be expected. You can always put something more to your liking, but I guess what you feel is similar to what I feel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Joaquim Pereira

With LFB slider at 0, you have "linearity", or better said, what I build to call linear (a set of values and formulas that I define as the base signal). This slider affects low frequency rack forces and fx.
    The two lines I posted are:
    1. to neutralize GAIN as gain
    2. To create an overall non linearity, but at that stage it also affect standing still forces, and it shouldn't... my bad.

There is no artificial road noise in my file.
    The artificial signals in my file are high frequency/low amplitude off road noise (superimposed on an already existing artificial offroad created by AMS2, going slow we can really perceive a sine function there :confused:), scrub effects and engine vibrations. These last too are affected by LFB slider.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. XTRMNTR2K

Probably a stupid question (sorry, I can't brain today :confused:), but what am I actually missing out by setting FX to 0 when using your file? Fine grain road noise, I assume? I'm just asking because apparently my wheel really struggles to convey both these FX forces as well as all the other ones - and if I have to choose, I think I'll stick with the main forces acting on the steering. :)

10. Joaquim Pereira

@XTRMNTR2K
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :mad:
    The formula I gave you makes this (gain=70):

upload_2024-1-16_19-47-34.png

No wonder... you had 10% dinamic range, the rest was pure force!!:D:D:D
    When I have some time I'll put some effort into it (no more formulas without testing first :oops:).

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. XTRMNTR2K

Haha, that's kind of cool actually. :D

And don't worry about this too much! I really like the latest file as it is. Still the best FFB I've ever had in AMS2 as far as I can remember!

12. Joaquim Pereira

FX = tyre scrub + engine (and the engine has a very weak presence >50km/h)

Road noise is controlled by
    Code:
    (micro_details 2.0)            # small suspension details [0-3.0]

and

(micro_gamma 1.0)            # gamma for micro details
    that processes those tiny suspensions movements.

It really depends on the software/driver of the wheelbase, every manufacturer uses it's own processing (that tends to be the 'same' across the range), meaning, they also increase or decrease various frequencies in different ways (to optimize/not damage the equipment).

And yes, I had a G29 and it captures those small details very well because they gears act as amplifiers (and noisy ones!). Try to reduce, not eliminate these. They convey the mood of a real race car (everything is harsh, everything vibrates).

• Like Like x 1
  13. XTRMNTR2K

I went back and settled for your recommendation of FX = 20. So my values are now 90/10/20/0, which works well for me.

There are two reasons I am reluctant about the engine rumble; one is that, when it is too strong, the G25 produces a loud clanking sound (and the effect itself feels very unnatural as well). If it is subtle, then the wheel produces a very fitting low-frequency vibration which does indeed convey the vibrations of a large and/or powerful engine quite well IMHO.

The other is that the balance between tire scrub and engine vibration can be problematic depending on the selected FFB. Default+ for example has the engine vibration so weak you need to increase FX to ~50+ in order to get it at all. In your V9 files, the balance is mostly okay, though I'd like to experiment with slightly weaker engine vibration relative to tire scrub.

Honestly, considering the difference in wheel models and manufacturers as well as the technologies (belt/gear/DD) I am amazed how well your FFB works out of the box. I would *really* like to get a really fancy DD setup sooner rather than later, but right now my number one priority is to have three meals a day and a roof over my head, which is somehow easier said than done at times. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Joaquim Pereira

I can't thank you enough for this v9 file, it really is wonderful. I had only tried your file for the first time yesterday, it was v8.1 and while I was impressed with how connected everything felt there was a graininess to it, in the micro details, scrub etc that I just couldn't get on with. Even when I attempted to dial them right down to the best of my understanding I still found it distracting.

This v9 file though is just right for me all that information is there, the macro and micro details, everything comes across clearly but that graininess I was experiencing is gone. Even to the point where I think you could risk bringing it back a touch.

Really just very very impressed overall, it does a lot of things right, but I think most notable has to be that sense of the car not only giving you feedback that makes sense in terms of the inputs you're providing and what your brain expects in response, but at the same time not doing it at the expense of everything else. So still having those other details coming through along with everything else all at once. At least this is how it feels to me.

I have been trying different files here since Karsten started and NuScorpii started posting them and this one I think is a bit special. It really adds to the driving experience in AMS 2 and does an exceptional job of highlighting the improvements that Reiza have made. Thanks again.
    Joaquim Pereira quim Pereira

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. radi0n

radi0n New Member

Which version of FFB settings is best for g29 for the latest game version?

16. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Thats a matter of opinion, and only you can decide which is best for you. I would recommend looking back over the last few pages and try any of the ones you see there.

Whichever you try I suggest spending a good amount of time with each one and dial in your settings, before trying another. It is also a good idea to make notes about each file so that you can compare later.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TomP

TomP Active Member

When I had G29 I used this file. This is a basic profile (default custom file) with few extra functions (relative, compressor, scoop, tighten) to improve the shortcomings (deadzone, force balance, rattling) of the steering wheel.

In game settings are GAIN 100, LFB 15, fx and damping does not matter (not used in basic profile).
    As I remmember I used 1% centering spring in logitech software.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. dMASS

dMASS Member AMS2 Club Member

@Joaquim Pereira is it your recommendation to set the wheel base to linear with your v9 custom not peak?

19. José Lima

José Lima New Member

Is it just my impression or the default and default+ changes it’s feeling with different custom files, on my side it’s what it feels, also when using the ffb custom file from reiza my wheel clips it’s ffb in game but the base it’s only using 6 to 7nm. My base is the Logitech pro, and in game I use 100% gain and other settings at 0.

20. nabelo

nabelo New Member

May i ask where i can get this ffb profile "Manolo & Stakanov 05 ATMOS - MOD V1.4 FIX."?

Best regards,
    Manuel