Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

Yep, I watched his first stream in AMS 2, and all in all it was quite reasonable.. There were some complaints here and there, some issues of his own making, like trying to apply the rf2 meta of lowest tyre pressures and then complaining that the car doesn't handle well...

He also generaly tried to voice his issues in a 'I don't drive a real car, but this doesn't make sense' way, not in the 'ams 2 is broken' way.

Pretty good stream and take from a rf2 e-sport guy, considering that e-sport guys are usually stuck in one sim and their brain is wired to exploit every deficiency the sim has.

If you want him to really complain about a sim handling, go see his recent iracing streams ;)

And yeah, immediately trying to invalidate all what he's saying by his apparel, that's primal sim tribalism stuff.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. R00bDriver

R00bDriver Member

Yeah I mean Michi's a nice guy.
    Yes he's an rF2 esport guy, but also I think esporting in F1 '23. Maybe some other stuff I'm not sure (don't always watch his streams).

We all have our favourite sim(s) - but they all do things differently. All have their strengths and weaknesses.

I love rF2, but christ, I could write a list as long as both my arms of things that's wrong with it.

I like R3E, AC, ACC and AMS2; I can't get on with iRacing - never been able to work it out - but that's just me. Other people love it, fair play.

But there's things I don't like about all the sims I play.

No one sim does everything perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I fully agree that the white line should be the track limit, but if it’s not and there’s usable land out there then you have to maximise it, every team manager would expect this of their drivers . it’s competitive and nobody hands out awards for fair play in motorsport.

there is no cheat short cut in this discussion and it’s pretty obvious if there was everyone would be calling it out and it would be rectified.
    the track limits at Le man are quite lenient irl from what i understand. as to police it for that many cars and for all hours would be quite the feat and before modern technology they simply didn’t .
    once again everyone is jumping on the relaxed track limits ( including this streamer ) based on what it’s like in RF2 or iracing..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is exactly what I wanted to say but was too lazy to articulate myself. Thank you! :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. TKracer

TKracer Active Member

Its not about the grip, its about the behavior. Initial grip is always high in ams2, then suddenly it drops and you understeer while maintain pretty much the same speed. That is what the video was about and that is what I felt too, this back and forth on the front.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can we stop pretending eSports aliens are experts on vehicle dynamics or anything else except how to obsessively grind lap times in a specific game? Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. spikerjack

spikerjack Member

Those who claim that iRacing is THE simulation should watch all the exploits used last year on competitives races or videos of streamers like Suellio Almeida who explains every tip & trick to master the physics engine

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. spikerjack

spikerjack Member

In AC for example, claimed by some to be the absolute peak of realism I feel like a "bubble" whenever I'm exiting the corner, in that bubble I can't predict whether the car will have a snap of oversteer or will be totally planted to the ground.. Not to talk about kerbs..

Not saying AMS2 is the most realistic.. Every games has its pros and cons..

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think nobody outside the Iracing forums ever claimed that it's THE simulation…

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

This is an area where racing sims has an advantage over RL.
    In a sim the devs can mark the track limits in the software so exploits instantly get punished.
    Hehe at least if the SW limits is positioned correct. And there are enough of them.:whistle:

11. DrEvil

DrEvil New Member

I found this analysis of why many sims feel different interesting. Not sure what is closer to reality but the presenter also leaves that in the middle:

12. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

I think that has been posted on here before (perhaps in this very thread!) but yes he's very good. I get squirmy when he doesn't like AMS2 but maybe i'm just a fanboy. This description (in the video by Nils) in combination with how Renato has described the thinking behind the sim physics is actually something that draws me to the game - I like the choice of an independent direction rather than just trying to replicate similar curves to what people are used to. Just the fact that the "slip curve" is emergent from the rest of the sim's physics in AMS2, in contract to other sims, is an attractive property.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That part of the video showed Hoyer surprised about sudden excessive understeer. Understeer is always about grip or the lack of thereof, and in that instance it was 100 % self-induced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

It's not just racing sims, I feel like everything 'eSports' gradually takes the fun out of games and creates a cynical outlook about exploits, what is 'OP', just for the most competitive to prove themselves 'the best'.

Then again I'm not really that competitive a person, I just love the immersion of gaming/sims :p

• Agree Agree x 17
  15. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

What kind of cars do you guys like to drive at Spa 1970, apart from the Formula Vintages? Just curious :) I'm not sure what might be a good fit.

16. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Maybe think of it as a Le Mans like circuit and maybe drive Group C

• Like Like x 1
  17. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

Tried the GT Classic Corvette, works. If you count the Porsche as multi-class anyway :)

18. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

I was in a Peugeot taxi in Egypt in the 1970s and wondering if it could have been the same taxi! Kidding.

Wild ride though.

19. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

I'm gonna try multi-class races with LMDH cars there

20. HijabiKathy

HijabiKathy Active Member

Vintage Party Time, Multi-Class of ProCar, GT Classics, Copa Classics FL and B, and both Touring car 60s classes, which the gap of the field seems excessive, but the Mini has been on track with prototypes back in the era, it also means once things get going after a half dozen laps you'll not really have a clean lap in any class there'll be traffic either flying by, or you'll be caught in traffic

• Like Like x 1