Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I know we are not all Jean Alesi, but slip angle anyone? :p

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

That’s faked, everyone on RD knows cars don’t slide and aren’t recoverable if the rear loses lateral grip …:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 20
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  3. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Can't resist to just quickly put in my 2c...(I haven't felt this reluctant to go to bed since I had a bedtime?!)
    So was understating stuff part of Renato's new year's resolutions?
    Minor thread adjustments my foot! This is a ginormous step forward!
    One of my long-standing favorites, the iconic F-V12 has leveled up to god-tier.
    It feels so much more poised and dangerous now. Much more punishing when respect is not given...
    Instead of that typical corner exit snap, it will now actually kill you when you don't feed in the throttle very tactfully.

Really noticed a massive change on the 911 rsr too, quick changes in direction on these fast sweepers(Porsche curves, Esses, Tertre Rouge or the uphill braking zone before the Dunlop chicane)are now to be approached more cautiously than before.

I don't know the first thing when it comes to the technicalities of modeling a simulated tire, but I've long since felt that this approach of chipping away at a complex model until you arrive at greatness holds fantastic potential in the long run. This, I feel, is what we're on the verge of right now.

Changes and adjustments like this literally affect every aspect of driving.
    Stuff as basic as the braking(I like to set this to 100% in setup), which arguably has been a bit on the forgiving side as well just feels better imo on the affected cars I've has a go with.
    Stands to reason, I mean when you play with grip levels and general tire characteristics...

These improvements excite me to no end, when I think about the other classes that will undergo treatment and where things might end up come v1.6

Seriously now, the F-V12 is a great showcase of the latest tweaks imo.
    Try some mixed slow and fast stuff like Cascais '88 with it and discover how much more lively it feels.
    I already like it before, but I mean this is something else now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I drive mainly AMS 2 and honestly didn’t needed much adjustments but tbf I drive mostly on base setups

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

I like the new wet tyres physics, but now AI 120 in wet looks like Latiffi and I like Senna.

And for sure I'll never look like Senna driving.

6. TKracer

TKracer Active Member

Wow yet to try the update, but these tyre updates sounds amazing. So its less forgiving now? Any special car i should try?

7. Divit Beria

Divit Beria Prefer modern cars

I absolutely love how far we've come from back when I started in 1.3 and the driveline changes. The sim is a joy to drive.

Although, I do hope the reiza team looks into implementing more advanced and in-depth traction control and ABS systems in the future because to my layman brain, they still seem a bit off.

The game has only been on the up since the beginning and I'm sure the team will continue to make sure it remains that way!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Nacho1311

Nacho1311 New Member

Try Powerslides like this in AC. I think its not possible or i am wrong?

9. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

All those real Motorsport engineers at Penske, McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari, RB aso are so lucky people to have their jobs because if a bunch of "sim experts" would send those companies their curriculum, they'd get immediately fired to get those people with an insane technical expertise into the jobs. *cynicism off* :cool::whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Nonsense! Everyone knows real race cars are all eternally front-limited on turn-in, snappy oversteer under a fraction too much traction on corner exit, and should never allow for any angle ever. :p

All kidding aside, it is true that AMS2 tires have historically allowed for too high angles to be sustained a little too long - that issue has been reduced to a minimal if not quite completely eliminated with V1.5 and the subsequent refinements, the latest of which just deployed with v1.5.5.2. To the extent the issue persists on some tires we´ll continue trying to iron them out, afterall the point of the exercise is to simulate reality.

A problem here is that many sim racers have been conditioned to believe race cars on modern slicks don´t allow for any sliding at all, are never subject to turn-in oversteer so long as the car is neutral and are incapable to sustain a powerslide for longer than half a second. Even if we completely erradicate that slightly forgiving plateau at the top of the slip curve in AMS2, they´ll always be a little thrown off by its handling because their perception have been skewed by tire models that behave a lot more digitally by comparison. More challenging to drive maybe, not necessarily more realistic.

Again tho this isn´t to detract from valid criticisms of our own tire modelling - we wouldn´t keep adjusting it if we felt everything was dandy. Even now the tires aren´t what they are as a matter of design, they are just where we are landing with them with our understanding of tire dynamics and the physics engine at this point in time - it isn´t just a bunch of dials we can adjust so they provide a little bit more of this and little bit less of that. As that understanding improves, so does the quality of the output - bit by bit we´ve been getting a firmer grasp on both ends of the equation and getting closer to what "right" is, and with that more and more people have naturally managed to connect with AMS2, even if there is a subset we´ll probably never reach given the above.

Given the inherent imperfections of all tire models there´s always going to be a degree of subjectiveness as to what flaws our brains are better able to translate - we are all wired differently. Personally I´d rather drive AMS2 with tires from even two years ago because it´s just more organic, but I totally see why others would prefer something that felt more like a train on rails that has to be driven carefully not to derail. Until someone gets it 100% right (and probably even after that) there´s an element of taste to what sim we are better able to connect with, which is why one should always just drive and enjoy the one they like, and quit frustrating themselves with the ones they don´t :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    • Like x 44
    • Agree x 13
    • Winner x 5
    • Informative x 5
    • Disagree x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  11. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Post above confirms to me that sim devs have a very narrow margin to appease simracing crowds to provide them the physics simracers think are correct (largely due to other existing and past sims). For example, simracers largely think that cars that slide or have vague handling are bad. So to appease people you'd better make all your (dirt excluded) cars non slidey and with super sharp handling, whether that's correct or not...
    Long story short: simracers have a strong opinion about what "good" physics should be and sim devs cannot deviate too much from that to be successful.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Copa Uno might be my favourite car in sim racing. :oops:

• Like Like x 4
  13. racezilla

racezilla Member AMS2 Club Member

Regarding the All-Inclusive, is the 15% discount fixed? Can it change in the future (that is, getting smaller or larger)?

14. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I wonder if Shift 2 is on the Madness Engine just like Project Cars was and now AMS2 is, why does Shift 2 not have the bugged shadows glitch ever happen, but PC had it and AMS2 still has it ? What was made differently .
    43248536.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think so. It was probably running on the pCARS1 engine. pCARS1 didn't have those ugly shadows either.

16. madchief

madchief Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I am very very positive of the new slip curve changes. I just did a few laps around Montreal in F-Reiza and F-Ultimate Gen2 trying to see how the car reacts to giving too much throttle on exit and the behaviour is very similar to this video - https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/video.2023-australian-gp-fp1-hamilton-catches-huge-snap-of-oversteer-in-first-practice-at-albert-park.1761853009101279403.html rather than the "eternal slide" without much grip loss that was happening before. Cars are a lot snappier and it's also a lot easier to overcorrect the slides.

The BMW M4 GT3 also drives a lot better than before, just as planted as the Mclaren rather than the nervous disaster it was before :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not the only cool thing about nfs shift 2

Check the environmental damage section of the vid, Pcars 3 also have a slightly simpler environment damage as well

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is tyre wear texture still in the plans for AMS2? No ETA?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  19. Jojo Pagani

Jojo Pagani Active Member

Man you are really giving me hope. Downloading the game now.
    You know, I am terrible at driving. I am trying to be just decent on ACC and I have a lot of experience losing the control of cars there :p

ACC is a super focused game. With very few choices of cars that people really use. So comparing ACC to AMS2 is totally absurd. But still.

I play AMS2 in a casual way. I am happy with the game being a bit more lenient than ACC. But when I lose grip on AMS2 and I heavily slide the back of the car It is like there are some reiza fairies coming to assist me and to make sure I can still get away with it. So a lot of the immersion that is so greatily archieved with the game is lost.

Any news about the devs trying to make the game less lenient is more than welcome. It is not right that I find cars in Forza Motorsport harder to control than cars in AMS2.

If some users dislike that now they lose control of the car I suggest to take it as a challenge. It is very enjoyiable to improve your skills to keep the car in control. Win buttons are boring in the long term.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. SunBro

SunBro Active Member

There are still a few of those fairies here and there.

But most are silenced :D

• Like Like x 2