Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Regarding AI, I've noticed the bots driving the MP 4/6 always have a very bad race start. Since they are top drivers, that bottles up the grid after the green light.

Anyone having the same issue?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The new update on the tires feel so agile and lively. I'm definitely a fan of it.
    The little drift in the vid coming back on start and finish straight looks great, feels great. And I find myself in a transition to become a huge fanboy :eek::D

• Like Like x 3
  3. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's been an issue since the cars (all three of the Mcalrens from the Brazilian Racing Legends pack) came out and why I tend not to race them. It sucks but hey, I'm sure it'll get fixed if it can be fixed.

4. pr07

pr07 Member

I kinda agree, even though I have a lot of fun with it, and it has come a very long way since day 1, it's still a long way off. They brake before pulling alongside to overtake another car, and also to lap cars, even from slower classes, which is the main reason they lose so much time with them. They back out of clear chances, and try moves in stupid places. In most tracks there is at least one corner, usually more, where they are way faster than physically possible for the player (in some cases like Spa it can be half the track) or extremely slow, like the 70's versions of Spielberg and Interlagos, where you are gifted over a second every lap. And a lot of these speed discrepancies are class specific, which makes it very hard to fix. The worst thing for me has to be the massive boost in speed they get when behind another car, especially when it happens to backmarkers, because they treat you as if you were fighting them for position. So you easily lap them, and immediatelly the guy who was a second a lap slower than you is now much faster, and brakes 30m later than physically possible for you, divebombing to get past only to unlap himself, possibly ruining your race in the process.

But still, finding a car/track combo with actually good AI, as difficult as it is, is worth it, you definitely can have great races, sometimes even on some of the cars/tracks that still need some work. In fact I just had one of these right now, with the F-Retro Gen 2 at Montreal '88. Despite the fact that they had the grip of a modern F1 car in the final chicane, and their lines on the opening lap were completely stupid, it was fun to race them. They fought hard under braking and through the corners, but never did something impossibly well (except for the final chicane), they could overtake each other, they made mistakes under pressure, and attempted moves that made sense, and that's on a track that needs work. In Cascais '88 for example it would surely be a lot better.

If only most tracks could be brought up to the standard of Cascais, Jerez and Kyalami, and most cars to the level of the F-Hitechs, I would call AMS2 AI good. Not yet great, there are many things about the core AI behaviour that need to be fixed, some of which mentioned above, but with good car/track calibration, I can live with it. But I sure do hope Reiza eventually makes it great, it has the potential for it. But right now, I don't think it's bad, it's just terribly inconsistent.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Dainamo

Dainamo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a blessing AMS2 AI is as good as it is. Every other sim I play takes an good hour of setup to get the AI somewhat dialed in, and even then they're either driving into me when I give them plenty of space, brake checking me into corners, being a push over or being miles ahead just to have decent difficulty in the mid field. Not perfect for sure but I'll take it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Agreed, but my criticism of your video was because you didn't bother to remotely indicate what we were looking for and instead left it up to guess work. There are a select few around here who belittle, dislike, disagree without contra posts every time there is criticism no matter how its presented. They just look more and more silly every time these sorts of adjustments are made so I am slowly learning to just ignore these regular "everythings perfect, nothing to see here" respondants.

This "minor" change seems actually quite significant and hopefully there is even more tweaks coming down the line.

This is the most annoying aspect of the AI in my book. I wish they would delete the code that relates to this "sudden motivation to race now I got overtaken" combined with "my car is suddenly miles faster now I got overtaken" logic in the AI.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You mean code that doesn't exist?

There are lots of real issues with the AI, no need to make things up. Unless you have video proof... (You can drive in the AI during replay to prove it showing top speeds, cornering speeds, brake points, etc.)

8. BazzaLB

Funny how I am not the only one who raises this very issue then eh? Perhaps you missed the post I actually quoted complaining about the same thing? Lots of things don't exist in your world, and yet, they get fixed later. I also note you make ridiculous hyperbolic statements related to EA WRC on other forums without a single shred of evidence, video or otherwise so this seems rather hypocritical request in my book.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. pr07

pr07 Member

Well, it's not exactly what he wrote, because it's not a reaction to being overtaken, but the AI definitely gets a massive boost in speed and especially in braking power when close behind another car, it's very obvious on almost every AI race I do.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry, but this one is actually funny hahah

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have definitely seen the AI get a brake boost when they are within 1 to 1.5 seconds behind myself or other AI, it's more apparent when they are closely matched. I think IMHO it's one of the reason for the pack racing.

I have done a lot of AI races testing the custom AI values and a .85 driver can keep up with a 1.0 driver due to their superior braking when behind. It depends on the nature of the circuit, in some it's more apparent than others. But it happens within that 1 second or so gap threshold.

Against me they stay close to my arse and when they get pass, they are extremely easy to overtake and then rinse and repeat. Happened to me in a F-Junior race at Silverstone 75, it doesn't always happen, but it's definitely there.

• Agree Agree x 11
  12. Jojo Pagani

Jojo Pagani Active Member

I think Reiza should consider a safety rating that you can grind offline and that you don't want to risk losing online. Like ACC does.
    Apparently it works.I have read a few comments on Reddit about it. People are surprised of how clean races on high SA servers are compared any other game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Odd that all someone has to say is "i still enjoy AI racing" otherwise you would get just a bunch of "disagree / dislike" on your post. There are already enough praise comments on how people are enjoying AI racing in AMS2 for whatever their reasons might be so me just adding yet another one of those would not add anything meaningful to the conversation anyway.

I am glad that Renato acknowledged the issues in an earlier comment. The main reason i haven't started any custom championship in the game for over two years now because with every update i am thinking "If the next update improves the AI i will then start already". And that plan is on an endless delay, at this point i gave up on the idea of those problems you also listed every being fully fixed.

I trust that the team is working on improving the AI because i see all the improvements that have been done since the game came out, but to give an example - i cannot have a good race at one of my favorite tracks - Suzuka GP, because the AI goes about half-speed in the S Curves and you gain an insane amount of time from that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Marc Collins

Lots of people have suggested there is boost-style coding in the AI (so it's definitely not just you), but yours was the last related message, so that's the one I replied to. There is no cheat/boost coding. This has already been confirmed by Reiza in the past, since this refrain has been going on as long as the game has been available.

There are reasons that one might perceive the AI is "unfair," but it's simply the way they respond to other AI and the player given their sphere of awareness and behaviour programming. There is no cheat coding as exists in many racing video games (including likely EA WRC). And, not to be discussed further here, but my comments on EA WRC on Steam are all valid and I stand by every one of them.

If you or others believe the AI behave with special boost powers (or however you would like to call it), then please demonstrate it with facts, not just perceptions. If you have ever participated in a real race or watched real racing, you will also see cars behind gaining an advantage when pressuring a car ahead, due to induced errors, getting the car ahead to stray from the optimal racing line, etc., etc. Then, big surprise, the car behind (AI) gets a better exit and passes. If you combine this with known scenarios where the AI have more cornering capability, it can sure seem unfair (and it may be), but it is not because of cheat coding. There are many other scenarios that can all be demonstrated in replays or streams. Since there is no cheat coding, we know there will be other explanations for what may be perceived as a sudden boost given to the AI.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Marc Collins

How does any of this suggest cheat or boost coding? You have studied the AI braking points when they are alone versus behind another AI versus behind the player car? Do they brake later when competing for a position, exactly as any real racer would? Or, what exactly are they doing that they should not?

16. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope that so little liveries mean they are saving them for other racers in the same class... :whistle:
    Still hoping for good "red hot news" soon.. :p

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BazzaLB

But Renato himself referred to a "fighting back after being passed" skill in the AI way back in Jul 2 2021.

So what does that mean then? All I can do is describe what happens when I race the AI and I too think this is what causes small packs of cars forming. Anyway, if there is such a thing, please remove it. If there isn't , oh well, bad luck for me (and others) I guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If that includes that car in your pfp I’ll freak out man

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Mazdaspeed

Try Barcelona with the F-Ultimates, one car passes on the middle of the main straight only for the overtaken car to get very close to the car ahead under braking for turn 1. They will then stay in a very unrealistic overtaking loop for the whole race.

The issue is that the braking boost doesn't make the car behind able to overtake the car in front, because it's slower overall, it's only able to keep up because of said advantage under braking. Once that car makes a mistake, or gets hold up by a backmarker and loses that 1-1.5 second threshold he loses ground. Same happens with the player, as I wrote before, they will stay glued to you and gain ground under braking and when/if they manage to get pass, they in turn become very easy to overtake on the same corner that they gained a lot of time on you under braking before.

If an AI is evenly matched with me I expect it to be glued to my arse, yes, but I also expect if it overtakes me to be able to hold position and not get overtaken again by the end of the lap rather easily. Again this issue doesn't present itself always against the player, but it has happened quite a few times to me.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Mazdaspeed

I think the fight back might be more in line with how they can take advantage when you overshoot an overtake and go wide, that's a very cool feature that not all AI can take advantage of. Or how they can go side by side without yielding when given enough space, etc.