Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Maybe ground effect needs more speed to be noticed than other aero grip. Try race in wet track and feel when aero grip really kicks in. With other formulas, I feel the aero grip more linear and progressive.

2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Downforce isn’t linear if you look at the equations. They use velocity squared

• Like Like x 1
  3. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not just that.

The server list default behaviour should incentivize the population of lobbies within a reasonable time before the start of the race session. The policy could be something like (from highest to lowest priority in the list, assuming servers are not full):

#1 public lobbies in Q session with 15-30 mins left before R session
    #2 public lobbies in Q session with less than 15 mins or more than 30 mins left before R session
    #3 public lobbies in P session
    #4 public lobbies in R session
    #5 private lobbies in any session state
    #6 any full server

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Yes, I used linear (wrong) and progressive. The point is that in F Ultimate Gen2 maybe it's just placebo, but I feel aero grip kick is more abrupt at some speed that I can feel in other formula cars, specially in wet track.

5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

When I read such a comment I dont understand why Renato does even bother to post in this forum.
    He doesnt say the dev is directed MORE towards oppinions THAN reality.
    And at least if I had had made this conclusion I would afterwards consider myself pretty stupid.
    So maybe you should use a bit more time than a little: "I thought a little about this part".:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: The only thing Renato does say is that there will allways "be a degree of subjectiveness" and "an element of taste" in the way the direction of the tire model goes.
    Dig that.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

You have a point in your discription of this car.
    But compared against other formula cars with an amount of aero/downforce then it sounds logical that a car based very much on getting as much undercar downforce as possible will get this effect much more abrubt than a more normal aero/downforce based formula car. Because the effect is based on the speed of the car over the ground.
    Me think:D

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. DinoM

DinoM Member

"Personally I´d rather drive AMS2 with tires from even two years ago because it´s just more organic, but I totally see why others would prefer something that felt more like a train on rails that has to be driven carefully not to derail." -Renato wrote.

This can also be understood as the more organic (more realistic) management being sacrificed to what the players think. In other words, it is dictated by preferences, not realism.

8. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

All downforce effects are based on the speed of the car. Unless you think the underbody is somehow moving at a difference speed than the wings are.

9. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I’d like to filter out lobbies with ai like you can do in rF2

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. roemer7000

roemer7000 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

...and I dream of lobbies in which everyone has to set a time with a certain percentage of the pole time in the qualifying round to be allowed to take part in the race. No more arcade driving, they're better off in Gran Turismo. And now hate me for preferring simulations to arcade ****...

• Like Like x 5
  11. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

I am pretty sure he was comparing AMS2 now (and even 2 years ago) to other sims. Not AMS2 2 years ago vs AMS2 now.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, but old ground effect cars just feel different in sims. As they are very sensitive to both rake and ride height, there comes a moment where grip just kicks in. The other distinctive feature, is that the center of pressure tends to move around more based on the speed you are travelling, giving you changes of handling depending on what corner you are tackling. Hence why controlling the ride height is such a premium. As old cars also have more primitive suspensions, they have to run mighty stiff, which only exacerbates the brutality of the downforce delivery.

Now, make emphasis on "OLD". Formula Ultimate Gen 2 is also a Grounds Effect car, and does feel way more "conventional". I put that down to several aspects: more advanced suspension, better tyres, a bigger amount of top bodywork downforce, and smaller venturi tunnels.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. DinoM

DinoM Member

No mention of other sims.

14. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

GRID Legends did an amazing thing with the online where you start an online event, there are other CPU drivers in the same race and whoever decides to join in as the race is going on, they can take control of the AI driver and continue the race from that point on. Now how AMAZING is that feature instead of waiting / leaving a lobby that still has a 10 minute race going ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

upload_2024-1-24_15-24-51.png

it is just 2 paragraphs above.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

If you read the whole post, it is obvious that he's talking about other sims.

Also, he starts with
    So, no. He doesn't believe AMS 2 tyres were more realistics. What he's saying is that he would choose the tyres AMS 2 had 2 years ago (with the ability to sustain high angles indefinitely) to tyre models (read other sims), where going beyond the peak slip angle switches the tyres off.

• Agree Agree x 10
  17. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Old ground effect F1 cars used to have skirts too, which no sim models to my knowledge. I don't think the AMS2 ground effect modelling is perfect but it's certainly no worse than any other racing game. Even the ones that claim to model ground effect just use some kind of standard aerodynamic devices to mimic ground effect, e.g. RSS AC cars with diffusers stapled all over the bottom of the car. Or R3E with its baked in "porpoising" that also afflicts flat-bottomed non-ground effect cars...

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. DinoM

DinoM Member

I partially agree, but in the part I quoted, the AMS2 rubber from two years ago definitely felt more organic than the current one.

• Disagree Disagree x 12
  19. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In the words of Fernando Alonso when he tested the new generation: "These ground effect cars are different, they drive in a different way, they remind me more of go-karts".

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Kevin Cox

Kevin Cox Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2