Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:D
    I also drove my boss's 911 in a parking lot (30 years ago!), but I able to stall it immediatly, PRO level :D:D:D:D
    A set of street tyres would cost 4 months of my salary back then! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Semirron

Semirron New Member

This is exactly the thing for me. I find AMS2 to be brilliant when it comes to longer races where you have to try to consistently maximize that 95%-98% pace over multiple stints, and not as brilliant (or at least not as 'intuitive') when it comes to videogame style time trial hotlapping.

On a separate note, and not to open up a new can of worms, but are we sure that the issues people are complaining about now are really still related to the tires and not suspension/aero? The HiTechs seem to be getting pretty high praise and I wonder how much the way the active suspensions affect the peakiness of the grip has to do with that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. tennenbaum

tennenbaum New Member

That's exactly the same (and also spot on along to what Joaquim said) what I experienced IRL and (tried to) explain in my post.

4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Am I wrong to assume that this also exactly does describe how fast and "able to control" you are in "longer races" compared to "videogame style time trial hotlapping"?
    Because such oppinions and "assesments" of a game does often correlate exactly to ones own success in different game modes.

5. tennenbaum

tennenbaum New Member

I think the idea of having the most realistic driving experience possible in a sim is the essential appeal of why we Sim Enthusiast drive AMS2 and Co and not arcade racing games. In this respect, the ongoing discussion about the realism of "sims" is a natural part and fun of our hobby.

It often becomes controversial when sim drivers without IRL experience analyze the driving physics of the sim, and then they are denied with the killer argument that without real tracking experience they wouldn't be able to judge it anyway.

This logic is too simple. You don't need to have IRL racing experience to intuitively feel whether the driving physics of a sim feel plausible or not (beyond personal preferences or hot lapping ambitions), and which physics engine responds to complex driving situations in a complex or simplified way.

When fans of AMS2 (which I am) said a long time ago (with or without IRL experience) that the rotational axis of many vehicles felt "strange", there were many who disagreed. Fact is, Reiza has long since solved this problem - which makes it clear that it originally existed. If Reiza now continues to iron out small, remaining "flaws", then that's great.

When passionate (and mostly very knowledgeable) forum members discuss these changes, it's a testament to how much Reiza's efforts are appreciated. Regardless of whether some of us are currently right or wrong in feeling that the cars are still slipping a little too much over all four wheels. Nils' completely un-biased video sheds an interesting light on the topic:
    ).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Semirron

Semirron New Member

To an extent, yes? How 'successful' I am in longer races (vs. the AI) is entirely dependent on what AI% I choose to set. If the AI is set too high or too low, then I either end up trying to drive at/above my 100% the whole time (which is not sustainable), or I end up only needing to push to <95% of what I can do (which becomes boring over three hours). A main part of why AMS2 has come alive for me in the last few months has been because this is the first time since maybe GTR1 that I have been able to find that sweet spot for endurance racing vs. AI that keeps me immersed for the duration of a 3 hour race - and that has to do with the driving physics equally as much as it has to do with the AI balancing.

But, also, no, this absolutely does not exactly describe and correlate to how successful I am in different game modes. I have enjoyed both hotlapping/short races and longer races differently across different sims across different decades of my life, but I am generally no better/worse at either.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

To me it is difficult because some are saying that even if you have experience in real life that it doesn't mean much. What is then even left?
    I think the first thing of a simulator is try to simulate as much as possible what is going on in real life. How a rubber compound works when interacting with the track, how a suspension works, etc..
    But then comes the really hard work and verifying you have the right simulation of these things.
    I think we as ordinary people can look at onboards and races to see if the physics in the sim are realistic and match well with real life.
    A pro driver can feel if their direct experience match with that of the sim if they are doing the same things.
    And then imo we can have a pro driver that drives a track in a racecar in different circumstances, slow, fast, etc.. and directly switches to the sim and drives the same track with the same temps, same track circumstances (rubbered in or not and such) and then hear there feedback and also very important look at the telemetry of all the parameters (how did he steer, throttle combination with steering, braking with steering, parameters like slip angle, etc...) and see how well they match.
    I find it weird that we also hear that this sim is unrealistic or that sim is realistic but it is mostly about guessing not the things I describe above. It seems like we in the simworld are basically spinning our wheels.
    I also wonder if the teams or so are not willing to share their simdata and I naturally am not talking about the last simulators but maybe from the nineties or so to validate if the data is right.
    I personally hate it when people say that sims are art and you just have to choose the one you like. To me that stands against all the things why you would choose a simulator. Yes for an arcade game but not for a sim.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. BrunoB

Ofcourse.
    And that is exactly the difference between comparing yourself with AI bots and real human drivers.
    Because in your "videogame style time trial hotlapping" which by the way in AMS2 is just called TT mode you are forced to compare yourself with other human drivers.
    And to the contrary of AI competition its not possible to turn the skills and speed of these drivers on the TT LBs up or down.:)

9. Semirron

Semirron New Member

For sure. But, I am not comparing myself against other human drivers or against AI bots here. You asked/implied that it was safe to assume my 'assessment' was correlated to what my relative 'success' is in different game modes, and I was simply clarifying that is not at all what I was/am doing.

To be clear, I am not using 'videogame style time trial hotlapping' as some negative or condescending term, and I am also not just referring to the proper TT mode or TT LBs in the game.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  10. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I think much of the debate regarding physics realism / accuracy of any Simulation will always come with considerable differences for a couple of reasons, regardless of RL experience. One process being a matter of translating RL to Virtual world, and another of analytical focus.

Differences in these areas will always make accurate and consistent objective conclusions a challenge as there are simply too many variables at play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BrunoB

Probably the main variable that makes some kind of objective conclusion impossible is the adaptability and flexibility of the human brain.
    Which make such conclusions pretty subjective.
    I have posted my own experiences going from one sim to another and then discover how biased I became when changing beck to the former one.
    Most people who use some time concentrating on one sim for a few hours does get acquanted to its behaviour so their brain consider this behaviour natural or intuitive.
    And then guess what happens if you the next day also use some hours on this same sim.:whistle:

ByTheWay: Thats the main reason discussions about the socalled "realism" in a certain sim is funny and entertaining. But also the reason any conclusions will never be able to reach even some kind of objectivity.:cool:

12. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

That discussion always reminds me of this video how pro drivers were not able to go from a real car to this "simulation".

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. BrunoB

Haha Nicki Thim is not very diplomatic when he does say he will never touch iRacing again before they solve the tire problem. And he probably know a few things about how the car should behave:p

1.jpg

14. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Now in Fultimate Gen2 with 120/Max agression and a mix of AI custom drivers (Verstappen with a lot of .99) I can simulate longer races and stay in the middle.

Will be nice If AI change tyres with compounds following F1 actual rules and in Pit Stop select some changes in wings load. All the rest now is cool for SP, AI is now really hard.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

This. So far, being it gt3 or lmdh or gte or group c, I have not been able to replicate a "death uncontrollable spin" Like this.
    Is this also your case or you experienced something similar?
    The day I will see this in AMS2, I think I will shed a tear, because to me it woul mean "we're there".

Until then, I will keep playing AMS2 and have a ton of fun because it's simply already ahead of competition in terms of driving experience (what matters to me) :D

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Looks like a mechanical failure. Otherwise, why would the car not turn left like the ones in front of it when it was going approximately the same speed. I suspect something broke when it hit the curb.

If not, and cause has already been confirmed, please tell what it was.

By the way, the AI have a lot of problems in that chicane and often spin.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

Commentators talk about hitting the bump before the second curb too aggressively.
    Not heard of mech failure, but maybe it is.
    Here's another example tho (4:16), similar IMO.

18. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

where is the Spin, he went straight in after awkward landing ( which possibly broke something) caused by bad angle onto kerb on entry. he got semi airborne and you lose a lot of downforce in that scenario.

19. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

I see a yaw movement towards right.
    Thus "spin". If not the right word, I apologize.
    If a mechanical failure, you surely know way better than me.
    Anyhow it never happened to me to completely lose the car in gt3 in AMS2, and I would love to lose it sometimes when going too much "over".
    (Trust me, there are plenty of videos of gt3s losing it...)
    Anyhow, I see that a " Challenging" Approach, even if polite and (I think) supportive to the team and game, is not very well seen by the community.
    Message received. I stop here.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You are drawing the wrong conclusion. We are simply stating what it appears to be from a quick video clip. No car should careen towards the wall like that unless hit by something, bouncing off something or something broke. So, not really related to criticizing AMS 2 or not or people minding that you are being critical. It's just not a useful example of someone losing a race car due to over-driving.

I can lose the GT3's easily if I use slicks on damp or wet pavement or go on the grass. If I want to purposely have the feeling of needing to manage the car, I would simply turn TC=0 and ABS=0 (assume you are not using the simcade general TC or ABS aids) so it becomes a "real" race car ;) You'll have lots of opportunities to lose the car like any other.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2