VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not at all. You still have shadows beneath the cars. Give it a try, see what you think. I literally cannot play the game with shadows on, they are so distracting to me on the track.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is where our taste / opinion are different ;) To me it just makes like there is way too much details in the shadows that flicker. Something like Long Beach at sunny afternoon with shadows at ultra in VR is just really really bad for me. I have them at "low" after trying out all the options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

I use MEDIUM because really near shadows are better (specially inside cockpit) and at night the cars cast shadows when block headlights. Far shadows with this setting for me looks almost the same as low, horrible, but with good FPS.

4. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

I have now tried around a bit and have come to the conclusion that openxr toolkit can work wonders. Originally I ran everything via the oculus app because I feel it was better than steam vr. in oculus I had set the rendering to 1.4.
    I have now set everything in the oculus app to standard, i.e. 72hz and 1.0 rendering. openxr toolkit is now running at 2580x2840 and 10% sharpness. in the game I have raindrops off, shadows and grass on low and everything else on medium and high, I can tell you exactly on request. races under normal conditions look much better and run at a consistent 71-73 fps. but i also tried a race on spa and thunderstorms, where it starts at 37 fps, but then increases to 72 fps with small interruptions to about 50 fps. that sounds bad, but i wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't been shown in the fps display.
    so if you haven't installed the openxr toolkit yet, i strongly recommend it. even when i installed it without being able to open the menu, i could already see an improvement in the picture.
    Edit: i forgot to mention the shadows. they are slightly better, but still not really good...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  5. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

hi

I had considered this Option but never really tested it. I was always maxing out rendered resolution in Oculus app (1.7) and try to achieve 90fps locked in Game with various tweaking, including in openxrtoolkit.

Can you confirm which upscaler you are using in openxrtoolkit, NIR,FSR or CAS?
    also your hardware, CPU and GPU as well as headset(Q2?) for reference?

thanks a lot

6. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

I have a quest 3, nvidia 4080, 64gb ram, ryzen 7700x. I have set it to NIS at 100% and under "system" "override resolution" I have set 2580x2840

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

How well will the Radeon RX 7900XTZ perform in VR with a Ryzen 7 7800X3D?

8. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Ok

thanks a tier higher than my current hardware so I better understand your strong results now

anyway I did try your method lowering resolution in oculus app and using upscale but to my eyes it’s losing picture fidelity

I might try fsr and cas this weekend though before making a definitive judgment

by the way I was testing on Imola track then tired Kansai and the fps was much worse with stuttering appearing in some area of the track

Pretty much same behavior than at hockenheim track

really these 2 tracks have optimization issues no?

what do you think VR people?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  9. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Tried this GPU few weeks back in combo with my 5800x3d to compare to my current rtx3080 12gb

it was not a significant improvement in VR and I had frequent drivers crash

I had a 6900xt before buying the 3080 and it was a clear win for the NVIDIA card

honestly for VR you better go to green camp

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

Too bad the settings don't help you. Incidentally, I also use the original link cable, so perhaps I should mention that. I don't notice any difference between the different tracks. I sometimes had problems with Spa directly via steamvr, but even there it works wonderfully with openxr toolkit. Yesterday I tried 24h with 60x time and changing weather, so far I could test it on Spa and LeMans and it worked perfectly.
    Just to explain: my vr picture looks great, there are no artifacts, it is sharp and the view into the distance is really excellent. These points annoyed me enormously about steamvr, but thanks to openxr toolkit they are a thing of the past. Overall, the picture is much better, only the shadows are still a thorn in my side. However, I found the installation very complicated and cost me a lot of time and without the link from #UrsineSaturn9 I still wouldn't be finished...

11. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Has someone tested the foveat with open xr toolkit? It doesn’t work well for me, I have ugly stripes in the outer circle.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Bull Shark

What kind of VR set do you use? I read that you best can use virtual desktop when having a 7900xtx in combination with a Quest 2 or 3.
    The quest 3 looks like a great VR set with the pancake lenses. So I probably will go that route.

13. Lt.Dan_Taylor

Lt.Dan_Taylor New Member

I can warmly recommend quest 3. However, I can only draw a comparison with psvr2. In direct comparison, the psvr2 is supposed to be the better vr glasses, but I can't confirm that in my opinion. I find the image of the quest 3 via pc significantly better than that of the psvr2. With the psvr2 it's like a grid in front of your eyes, and you have to constantly search for the sweet spot. Since I drove gt7 on the psvr2, I haven't driven on the screen and I won't buy a sim that doesn't offer vr. That's why I wanted pcvr, and since I've had it, I've only touched the psvr2 once. I also think it's really great that you can use them as stand alone glasses. There are really lots of fun things to do.

• Like Like x 1
  14. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Yes, but I've got the inner ring at 80% and outer at 95% I think to not have those artefacts within my field of view. Horizontal scale at 165% also to have a more oval shaped ring

15. Bull Shark

Yeah I have the PSVR2 and GT7 as well and as you mentioned, the sweet spot is very narrow.
    I do like the PSVR2 and GT7 but the biggest drawback for me is the bad AI. I don't race online as I often do not have the time for online races. So I'm depend of a good AI. AMS2 has a very good AI and it is getting better and better.
    PCARS 2 and VR was great but AMS2 and VR is golden.
    I tried PSVR2, love it but I will return it and stick to the first plan. Save some money for a decent PC.
    Now I only have to make a discission whether I pick an Radeon 7900XTX or not. This due the fact that I've read it works not flawess with VR.

16. Personic

Personic New Member AMS2 Club Member

Been using a 7900xtx for over a year. Very stable card that lets me max out my quest 2 with AMS2 at medium AA and otherwise maxed out settings. Maintains 90fps in most use cases sometimes dipping to 60-70 fps at the start of a night race. This is with a (soon to be upgraded) very weak cpu. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In my opinion, instead of having a 'Max Visible Cars' option, it could be better to have a 'Max Cars with light on'. A kind of option to switch off the lights of the cars behind you. Just an idea...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bull Shark

That sounds great. Thanks for the info.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

Sorry for my naivety here but how do I get this to work? I downloaded the DLL linked in your post and put it in AMS2 directory. I already have OpenXR but previously used it through Virtual Desktop. I have it set to Oculus and start AMS2 from Steam. However, when I am in game, I cannot bring up the menu with Ctrl F2 or F12. I tried running Legacy [think that is what it was called] but still nothing. Looking at the OpenXR log, it stated that it was running through Virtual Desktop, I assume this is incorrect but how can I change it? I am so confused and as only running a 3070, need to optimise for VR as much as I can.
    Appreciate any guidance.