Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. McNeil00

McNeil00 Member

Daytona Sports Car Course

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. spikerjack

spikerjack Member

I bought a monthly license just to test iRacing AI. I had great expectations. But to me is a big disappointment. I think is too sterile. They drive in single files, rarely make a mistake, you can outbrake them with much ease, overtake the entire field at the same spot lap every lap. Never feel any pressure from them. ACC is even more sterile, it reminds me a bit the first rFactor. AMS2 is getting better and better, I have a lot of faith in what Renato said about overtaking and defending. When the AI code will be refined it'll be the best single player title, by far.
    I'm sad about rFactor 2, the first couple of years the AI was the best by a mile but they seem to have lost the way.. Maybe LMU will provide a good challenge. F1 games are good but modern F1 is not my cup of tea.

P.s. Had a casual race with GP4 last weekend.. man the AI is unreal...........

3. manfer

manfer Member

I'm totally with you, but a big point for me is an AI that drives around as a victim because it doesn't manage to overtake a much slower car.
    But the biggest gamebreaker at the moment is that I sometimes drive into the pit and haven't selected any damage to be repaired in the pit stop menu or in the strategy. Nevertheless, the car often remains in the pit for over a minute and the damage (which is not even on) is repaired. So every race in which this happens is a waste of time for me. Now I don't feel like starting a race at all anymore (because of the problem with the pitstop) it doesn't make any sense and that's a shame because otherwise AMS2 is really great!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

Do you maybe have a little engine damage? I think this can sometimes occur on some of the low-damage settings. Do you set up a pit stop strategy before the race?
    Of course no damage should yield nothing to repair, but so that you can get back to racing, have you considered removing "damage" from your pitstop strategy?

5. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

Everytime this has happened to me it was becasue I either forgot to click save when changing the pit strategy preset, or me forgeting to actually select it as the active strategy after saving.
    Becasue of this I always check the strategy in race in the pit menu.

6. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I made a video for when people ask me what is AMS2.

• Like Like x 26
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Creative Creative x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Odd Socks

Odd Socks Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Very nice Tom, but where's the weather that AMS2 does so well?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That was great fun! Love the transitions in time with the music, and good choice of energetic music to go with the racing. What is the tune btw?
    EDIT: Just found tune in the discription, cheers!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Thanks ! I wanted to include a lot more weather but because i went for rapid-quick cuts it would make the whole image a mess and much more difficult to focus on anything with heavy rain. Even the night shots i chose were very carefuly selected so that you can actually have time to see what is on the screen. If i do a video that is slower pace i will be sure to include thunderstorms and such ;-) .

Thank you !

10. manfer

manfer Member

You can trust me, I've saved the correct Strategy and I've also doublechecked the settings in car via pitmenu. The problem occurs when I'm on an endurance race (>2 hours) and when I take the car from the AI. The "swapping Pitstop" is the "repair for no reason - pitstop".

I've also started a thread on reddit, some people have the same problem. It's not only me...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just a final thing to add since I'm pretty suprised how well it works on another track in ACC. Paul Ricard is regularly used by many teams to prepare for Le Mans. A track like this should be (for my understanding) rather a good place for faster cars to pass slower cars.
    I was in the 296GT3 and behind the KTM GT2 who was going to overtake a couple GT4s. Although some things could be improved, like some sudden change of directions or sometimes the race line looks like to much of a recorded thing, the KTM manages this rather well with overtaking on a couple of different points, sometimes at the inner and outer line and no crash or contact to come through.

I could not match ai's speed when running free. I guess the GT2 was around 1s/lap quicker than myself in the GT3. But all those overtaking procedures didn't cost the ai much time. All in all...good job in this regard.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

I disagree completely. I think it is much more immersive if we get the sound right. Ok no problem if there is an option in the audio that for example says earplugs in or out like we have with the camera effects with leaning into the corner. But in real life you also have the vibrations and such and no you will not only hear the deep noises of the engine. We miss a whole lot that cannot be replicated with the computer that is there in real life. That is why sounds are very very important to add immersion and adding the feeling that you are in the car. I also add things like the very rapid vibrations in real life that you can feel and that you can see with your eyes. That is why I don't think the camera in AMS2 is great it misses the very rapid vibrations, now we have the very large oscillations which give a weird feeling.
    We also have the tire sounds which are wrong imo because they give a feeling that you are sliding when you are not. Creating the right immersion is difficult but very very important.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I can't believe that was only 90 seconds long - you sure covered a lot of ground there, great video.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That must've taken a dang week to get the clips together.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried creating a new strategy? Somewhere in this thread the same thing came up and it appeared to be related to the strategy (similar to how people had issues with old setups). I think they made a new one, same settings and it fixed the issue. I believe it was repeatable too, worth a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tarmac Terrorist

No probs mate! I've put time stamps on both videos so you can skip straight through to the End of race and final thoughts section.

I can't really tell you what I think of all the differences in detail beause after a couple of days making the vids, I'd then have to sit here for an hour writing you an essay. I can't really give you a couple of bullit points because there are just too many subtlties to take into account. If you wanna see for yourself without watching for an hour, just use the timestamps to skip stright to the GT3's Start to lap GT4's section on each video, then you'll only have to watch for less than 10 mins of each test.

In the shortest possible way, as things are atm and with this specific Combo, ACC's A.I. are a touch ahead of AMS2's, but I can see AMS2's A.I. possibly surpassing them in so many ways in future. Yet there still certain things AMS2's A.I. can do that ACC's can't!

Im gunna stop there because I've been ages trying to figure out how to reply to this without making an hour long video going into all the subtle differences, because even though there are more similarities than difference's, theres still 100's of differences, does that make any sense?

I really did have a great time make the videos in both sims though!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Tarmac Terrorist

I love this analogy! Yes ACC has really very good sound, some of the best in the business!
    But they've got so many less cars and types of vehicle to get sounding right than AMS2

Yes I do agree with this, but then again, ACC's will pit manover you if you sqeeze them on the outside of the corner, if they are about half a car behind you, you may have the nose, but they won't have it, they will turn in on you, whereas AMS2's cars will go on the grass to avoid a collision, not all the time but they will, even though they are going onto the grass annoyingly for no good reason sometimes, its actually a bit of a positive that they have the ability to do that. AMS2's A.I. is better than any sim i've seen at reversing and getting around a car stopped on track. ACC's overtakes though are much better and smoother, AMS2's A.I. find a gap, go for it, but then have this slight hesitation when the doors open before they floor it

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tarmac Terrorist

I think the most realistic way to drive ACC is with the sound cranked up, whilst wearing a real helmet and plugs, then you're pretty much there!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

IMG_20240207_215244.jpg

I know it was already discussed before, but the perceived modification to me is all but "minor".
    I could test the update only today and I am quite astonished.
    I tested :
    992 gt3 without tc
    M3 gr. A
    Porsche cup (991.2)
    I found a sensibly better behaving car, more planted, with more general grip and a less progressive grip loss on power.
    Now when the rear steps out it not "easy", it is not " The same" As sometimes it used to be.
    Either you lose 3 tebths in 1 turn, or you just spin.
    For the first time I spun in gt3 when pushing over the limit.
    Very very happy Reiza!
    Chapeau.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Tarmac Terrorist

They sometimes dont pit in a sub 50min race

Trust me i've done plenty of longer races with the A.I. that i've not recorded, and I can tell you that with some cars the A.I. are pitting around about the time you are or rather when you'd expect them to, and it makes for a fantastic race!
    Other cars A.I. have major problems with their tires wearing at a much more accelerated rate than yours (very much like when the A.I. driverswaps with you, and suddenly the tires melt), in a 60min race, you've pitted once, they've pitted 3 times for example, and this makes for a pointless race. This needs fixing big time!