Autmobilista 2 Career Mode Suggestion

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by gdubmx, Jan 22, 2024.

1. gdubmx

gdubmx Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Reiza,
    Hoping you read this thread as its been on my "most wanted" list since release of AMS2.
    As AMS2 shares the same engine as the Project CARS series i figured it would be a great example to use for my suggestion.

Project CARS 1 ( the original) had in my humble opinion a much better career mode, it was based around a calendar with multiple different events spread out of the course of a year. These varied and made the career feel like you were taking on the role as a professional race driver, you took part in your main discipline (lets use GT4 as an example) and was presented with Invitational events, other series and random one-off events.

I felt that SMS missed the mark when implementing the career in Project CARS 2 and it just felt like a stale bolt on which just felt like race to race and was uninspiring.

I know this thread will most likely go unnoticed and know its been mentioned several hundred times already (largely by myself :D ) however, i had to share.

Appreciate you guys and most certainly look forward to seeing the career stage implemented ( its mostly why im holding off playing further) .

Cheers guys :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Marcos Gil

Marcos Gil Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree with you, it's incredible how people don't talk about how the ideas for the career mode in the game will be created. remembering that the implementation was promised, if I'm not mistaken, for 2021

3. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

As i'm remembering it wasn't promised but planned to be implementen like and "endgame feature" at the end of main development. And i haven't noticed stopping developement in 2021...
    I for myself would like to habe it un game too, but there are still a bunch of things that are much more impotrant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mansell

mansell Active Member

Yes, the endgame for Automobilista 2 is to deliver the most comprehensive and true-to-life career mode ever designed for a racing game, connecting the game´s incredibly vast and ever-growing ensemble of Cars and Tracks into a cohesive journey accross several decades of motorsports. This however should only be added to the game towards the second half of 2021

Automobilista 2 FAQ

been an admin in some forums in the past, i always wonder how difficult is for a reiza forum admin to edit this post?
    maybe deleting the last sentance?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

Well then. Have actually forgotten about this last sentence. My bad...:confused:

6. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There's still a few things to be added but I'm really looking forward to what Reiza comes up with.

Just imagine something Project Cars style but taking full advantage of the AMS2 custom A.I. and AMDM. We just need them to add teams and the ability to balance car performance on a per car/team basis. The soon to arrive (hopefully) limited tire sets will also be put to good use in a career mode. Maybe the lower categories or cash-strapped teams have to use tires (or engines/gearboxes) longer than well funded teams, etc.

Once they tie all this stuff together it's going to be incredible...and incredibly customizable which is great since this community is so creative, talented and passionate.

7. WAYNE SIMONDS

WAYNE SIMONDS New Member

I would really love to see them take the career mode several steps further, and take into consideration what a real team has to deal with (Note that this should be an option you can select, because not everyone would want it)

1) As a rookie you have to try and get a ride on a lower level team.

2) Teams have sponsors and yearly budgets, as well as a per race budget.

3) Everything you do cost money, even down to travel (so maybe a entry level team can’t fly all over the world to start with because of budget constraints, so they can only focus on more local races until they get better, and get more sponsors).
    As a start-up team you might only be able to afford to go to 4 or 5 races in your first year, so you have to pick and choose. If you do well then you might get an invite to a more prestigious event.

4) If you damage a car, then each item you damage (front end, suspension, rear end) cost your team money (to stop me just going back into the pits and driving out a second later with a shine new car.

5) You have limited tires, and each set cost money

6) If you damage something during practice or qualifying, it takes time to repair, and maybe you’re unable to finish that session because you caused too much damage and it will take too long to fix, so you run out of time and are at the back of the pack

7) If you damage cars too much then you could lose your ride.

For me, a big thing would be that you can decide what level of emersion you want. I hate it when a game manufacturer forces you down a path that you don’t want to go down. Just give me an option to say if I want the full blown career mode as I noted above, or a 'light' version (like a typical career mode in other games)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

100%, and I hope it doesn't go unnoticed. The pCARS1 career mode wasn't perfect. Far from it, it left a lot to be desired, actually, which I will go into in a bit. But the idea was there. But for pCARS2, SMS all but gave up on the potential, and it became naught but a list of races. A check-list, a to-do list. A meaningless grind-fest.

So how do you make a career mode not feel like a check-list? In short, every career move has to matter, and everything has to be connected, influencing each other. Things must have consequences. Ted Meat has a great breakdown and explainer of it.
    And while it doesn't have to get so hardcore as he explains (finally getting the F1 seat only for that team to get a new engine supplier and be far off the pace all of a sudden), I think he gets the point across quite well of what it needs.

I'll give you what broke career mode for me in pCARS1. I was in the aforementioned GT4 path, in the Mustang. Outclassed by the Aston and the Ginetta. But I wanted a challenge so I did a high difficulty. I outdrove the car, consistently ran in the top 5 when the other mustangs languished in the back. At the end of the season I placed 4th. What was my reward? Exactly nothing. No contract to go into GT3, or a better team in GT4. The rule is, you have to be in the top 3. So what to do? I lowered the difficulty, cheesed the AI, "won" every race, and presto, a GT3 contract.

Immediate turn off.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 1