Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

What you're talking about is the sync to race setting. The sync to race setting IS an acceleration setting. By default the weather slots are 1 hour long. This default cannot be changed by the user. The user can only accelerate all slots if he wishes for weather to change faster.

If you have a 20 minute race and set 4 weather slots and then "sync to race", all slots will be accelerated x12 (because 60/12=5 minutes), which also means that the track state gets accelerated x12. Which is the major design flaw of Livetrack 3.0.

IRacing doesn't have a default length for any weather slot, you don't have to accelerate it, because you can choose something like 30 minutes dry, 5 minutes rain, 20 minutes dry by simply adjusting a slider.

Which is the optimal way of doing this.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Chillblast

Chillblast Active Member AMS2 Club Member

100% agree with this, they have raised the bar significantly and set a standard for how an advance weather mechanic should work, AMS2 looks prettier but that's about the only thing it has the upper hand on when comparing them as of right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

Tyre wear acceleration in AMS2 has the same quirk as the weather. Flat spots are accelerated, so at x4 even the smallest lock up or full sideways moment can be disastrous. Even x2 is extremely punishing. Another reason I avoid acceleration factors apart from time to get the day night cycle. Even then, unfortunately, you have limited choices getting 24hrs, x3 x6 x8 etc would be nice...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Right, changing weather so many times in a short session is unrealistic and a form of acceleration, but not the acceleration that you and others have been discussing here (the game option). It is simply another way you can choose less than realistic settings in AMS 2.

And, given that iRacing has no acceleration options whatsoever, all of the AMS 2 acceleration problems you grind on about can be avoided by simply not using acceleration in AMS 2. No one is forcing any of us to pick "dumb" settings in the game. Why would you raise such a comparison of iRacing versus "accelerated AMS 2" in the first place?

We should be comparing the same settings. Yes, iRacing has more granular control over the specific weather, and a nice forecasting system. You can get random weather (realistic or less realistic) in AMS 2 with much less fiddling. Otherwise, the actual on-track weather-related features are almost identical and good that iRacing finally caught-up to AMS 2 ;)

Lesson to all: if you don't want an unrealistic weather experience in AMS 2, don't pick unrealistic weather settings. Glad we got that clarified!

• Dislike x 12
    • Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  5. Dicra

OK Marc.

If you want to miss the point, keep missing it.

Just one small hint: I don't want to use acceleration settings, the game all but forces the user to. But just keep ignoring it, that'll surely make it better. I'm consistently astounded how all Reiza employees are willing to listen to constructive criticism and sometimes give their own take or correct where they see fit, except for you, who is just trying to disprove and devalue anything, even if at the cost of deliberately misunderstanding every point the other is trying to make.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

Is it unrealistic to have a 20 minutes rain burst? Happens quite often in summer, with no rain before and after.. Now, how would you reproduce this scenario in AMS2 in a 30 minutes race, giving that in those 20 minutes I want the same water quantity that in real life falls in 20 minutes?
    In my experience this happens only using "real weather" (With no accelerations whatsoever) if you find the correct location/date/time. But not possible to bake it as of now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The issue for me doesn't have anything to do with accelerated weather, it's just plain wrong water evaporation and dry lines on a drying track. AMS2 does an excellent job in how the water builds on the track and the puddles are where you expect them to be.

The problem is that when it stops raining and the track starts to dry, it does so too quickly and evenly, even where the cars don't pass on the tarmac, so you never have a real proper drying line for more than 2 laps. In real life you can have cars already on dry tires but the outer part of the corners/track are still damp/wet. Here the most you get are some puddles that stay wet. This is with no accelerated weather whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have never gotten real weather to work properly, it starts ok in the sense that if x race started wet on x date it does, but it never transitions from the weather the session starts, and that's using the real amount of laps/time as the real race did with no time acceleration.

9. Marc Collins

Just use no acceleration, sync to race, and pick two weather slots in a 30-minute session, with one of them being rain and the other not. Simple, you'll get approximately 10 - 20 minutes of rain and 10 - 20 minutes of whatever else you picked. It's not as precise as the iRacing scheme, but then ascribing the exact weather down to the minute is also completely unrealistic, so...?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Dicra

I've just tested this, this is not quite correct. I set the track to wet, time acceleration to "real time" and the track preset to wet and the clouds to "max" (on Jacarepagua).

What I think is true is that the edges of the track dry out too much too quickly and you never get something that looks like this:
    Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 20-03-32 Montreal F1 2013 - Alonso's Dry Line.png

However, this is partly also due to the fact that on max clouds settings, the dry tarmac looks almost exactly the same as the wet one, which makes it really hard to tell if the edges of the track are still wet. There isn't a difference in texture as in the picture above, the wet parts are just slightly more shiny.

On my settings, there has been a dry line in most corners, it was just not too pronounced and felt like it formed somewhat late in relation to the speed the edges of the track dried out. It did stay from L7 to L12 though, at which point I crashed out. However you did have to be very careful in some corners, like T2, where it was really easy to get on the wet stuff and lose the car. It's quite cool, but lacks visual clues and maybe warrants some tampering with the speed water gets absorbed by the tarmac.

11. Dicra

Service post: Sync to race is an acceleration setting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Marc Collins

The only point I am missing is why you started a big conversation about acceleration implementation ruining the weather implementation in AMS 2 compared to iRacing's great implementation when it in fact has nothing to do with anything since it is not true and iRacing has no comparable acceleration options.

You can get plausible weather in AMS 2 if you stick to authentic and realistic settings--user choice.

You can more precisely control the weather in iRacing, which is completely unrealistic--but again, user choice as they do not force you do that.

Your continuous moaning about AMS 2 is tolerable if you are making relevant points or critiques. In this case, you were raising unrelated issues just for the sake of moaning. Feel free to point out specific weather options or settings that iRacing provides that AMS 2 does not, as others may agree with you that it would be nice to have those. You did that, eventually.

But you still couldn't prevent yourself above from suggesting that AMS 2 is forcing the use of acceleration settings. This is preposterous, and similar suggestions made earlier is the reason you got the commentary from me in the first place. This is the incessant moaning part that does not qualify as complaint or constructive criticism because you are deliberately ignoring basic facts.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Marc Collins

Of sorts, but as already clarified above, it is not in the same category as the options that are called "Acceleration" in the game, which not surprisingly, accelerate key elements of the simulation.

Sync to race accelerates nothing in the simulation. It does allow you to have weather changes faster than are likely or plausible in the locations of the tracks, but given the nature of the issues raised in your original post comparing iRacing, you shouldn't be confusing people with this analogy. You can also set unrealistically short and implausible transitions of weather in iRacing, too, if you choose to do so.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
  14. Dicra

No, it does exactly the same thing as the acceleration settings. You are simply unaware how your own game works and have the gall to claim I'm ignoring basic facts - simply lovely, this.

You may want to test this by setting a one lap race, choose "sync to race", set the preset to wet, choose two dry weather slots and be astounded how a completely soaked track dries out in one. single. lap.

You also may want to apologize for being this blatantly wrong while insulting me and the many hours I have invested in making this game better by providing feedback ("incessant moaning"), but I guess not.

EDIT: Apparently for some reason with one lap it doesn't work reliably and the track only starts to dry out super-quickly at the end of the lap; with two however it does. Or just use more weather slots and 1 lap, works too.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 14
  15. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Chillblast

Chillblast Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok so what you are saying is to not use "unrealistic" settings even though they are available in the game? c'mon dude, you're missing the point entirely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Iracing having better weather implementation than AMS 2 isn't the end of the world. They are the most popular sim racing platform out there, they have the most resources with over two decades worth of experience. Combine that with a great and hard-working team that isn't afraid to delay stuff, you're gonna get quality content. Give artists the space and freedom to make great art, and they will do exactly that.

Say what you will about Iracing, when they implement stuff they take their time with it. They didn't listen to the endless complanning about "rain when?!?!?!?" and release something earlier but half-baked. No, they just silently worked on it in the background. The result is something undeniably great and worth the extremely long wait. Patience pays off, and it never hurts to exercise it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

Wrong Marc.
    In your example I would have visually rain for 20 minutes, but the amount of water buildup is actually the water that would accumulate if that time slot was 1 hour.
    In your example, exactly the double of real life

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

When you set race length in laps, and then "sync to race", the weather slots are divided by equal laps and the transition happens at the crossing of the finish line. Hence, for having 4 slots (e.g. cloud, rain, cloud, cloud) you must set 4 laps, and in the second lap the water falling will be the same as if it rained for 1 hour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Marc Collins

Not on my system.

I'll freely admit I hadn't played around with the sandbox by trying settings that are extremely unlikely (4 weather slots in 4 laps). However, for the sake of science I just did this, twice.

The rain from the second slot does not occur magically at the start/finish line, but appeared with some degree of randomness at two different points during the first lap in my two runs. There is obviously a transition to go from cloud to rain and back to cloud where it starts with some drizzle and then the rain gets harder until it reaches the level selected ("Rain" in this case).

Secondly, the amount of rain that fell was appropriate and the expected amount for one lap of the race, not one hour's worth of rain that would have flooded the entire track had it fallen in the time span of one lap. So, no, it does not scale to one hour when you use weather slots. The slots adapt to whatever number of laps or length of time you have chosen.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1