Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Iracing with its subscription and pricing for content should be miles ahead of everyone else in every field. It isnt.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I have no doubt that if you pick "dumb" settings that are completely implausible or unlikely (a one lap race with two weather slots being a good example), the AMS 2 weather system will crumble. Like all these things, it wasn't designed to be immutable for every possible scenario--just the ones that are most common or that replicate typical conditions.

And, yes, they left in the ability to do extreme weather that isn't actually raceable (iRacing excluded that). But we can also race rental karts against gigantic racing trucks on tracks that neither of them have ever been on...and I will not be surprised when some of those combos break down for various reasons, too. Why won't my Copa Trucks fit properly into the pit stalls at the Speedland indoor kart track?!?! Stupid game...

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

As I see it, both parties are right here. Yes, you can achieve stupid results with stupid settings. And yes, the weather system could be expanded further in the future.

When it's so difficult to find such an easy compromise, I think you just want to argue.

We all know what happens next. The sim racing genre is a small family where you motivate each other to achieve top performance. Iracing learns from others, just as AMS2 learns from other developers. What IRacing has done is a masterpiece that will sooner or later spread to other simulations. I don't play iracing, but hey, a huge thanks to these developers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. robertcheng

robertcheng New Member

Honestly, many stupid options and functions in this game NEVER bring the game any advantages, just make lots of problems.
    If remove the tyre/fuel/time acceleration options and the stupid weather slot function can bring us mid-race save and better AI pitstop strategies, please do it without any hesitation.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Dude, the features you mention are definitely desirable. But I would't pay attention to people like you. You are not helping.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Renan G Flores

Renan G Flores Active Member

Sorry.

upload_2024-3-6_23-23-25.png

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Renan G Flores

Renan G Flores Active Member

Dynamic weathaaaaaaa...

upload_2024-3-6_23-24-33.png

upload_2024-3-6_23-24-56.png

• Funny Funny x 13
  8. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

O pior cego é aquele que não quer ver

Edit: I pasted the wrong corner for the comparison in the thumbnail by mistake. Regardless, pasted the correct pictures down below. Anyway, the video shows clearly the track dries far too fast. Far from being game breaking, yet seems wrong.

You don't need to defend AMS2 at any cost, dude. No one is saying the game is awful.

upload_2024-3-6_23-24-43.png
    upload_2024-3-6_23-30-13.png
    upload_2024-3-6_23-29-25.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You have a point in that one issue is that the tarmac doesn't change color as it does in real life, hence its more difficult to distinguish the drying line. But the track dries too fast in all the tests I have done so far, granted I haven't tried all tracks, but below a video of Montreal with overcast skies, 73°F ambient temperature, wet starting state, 1 hour session, sync to race weather progression. After 15 minutes the whole race track is dry apart from the first chicane where going through the puddles disperses the water a bit further. With overcast skies there's no way the track would dry up like that in 15 minutes in real life.
    Edit* Forgot to mention only 1 weather slot used, overcast. So no super duper ultra unrealistic speed of light accelerated weather progression at play here!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Decided to do another quick test but on a little extreme scenario. Hockenheim on November, as I saw that the track temps on Montreal where suspiciously high for such a cool cloudy day. Same settings as before but now the ambient temp was 45°F and track 41°F, with those temps the track dried up as I was expecting Montreal would, you could see a proper drying line with the track still very wet outside of said line 30m after the session began.

So maybe the issue is some calibration needed on how the track/ambient temp evaporates the water outside the racing line, it might need to be reduced as to not make it dry so quickly when the temps are a bit higher. That or maybe check for abnormally high track temps when the track is wet. Below some photos of a proper drying line, though making the dry tarmac a bit lighter would make it even better.

Automobilista 2 3_6_2024 11_10_49 PM-min.png Automobilista 2 3_6_2024 11_11_13 PM-min.png

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

If you try to push the laws of physics, with a crazy weather transition that makes the track goes up from less than 30 to 50 plus Celsius in a few minutes, maybe is wise to expect the same amount of water going away fast...

12. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

I like to race using a lot LiveTrack with weather transitions, more in SP. Maybe we have some problems with sync in MP, I really don't know, but in SP, regards physics and visuals, AMS2 is amazing with rain and track evolution is great, and Iracing can go to hell, because AMS2 is better:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is there a difference concerning rain spray (from opponents in front for example or during replays) between flat and VR version?

14. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

Tonight (unfortunately I cannot do before, but if anyone is willing to do, it'll be easy) I will do this "extremely unlikely and unrealistic" scenario:
    - 4 laps race (like a showcase) in spa
    - 4 time slots (overcast, overcast, overcast, heavy rain)
    It is to simulate an actual 4 laps race in which it starts to rain towards the end. It might sound "crazy" and completely unrelaistic, but you know, I am a silly boy.

I would love to see the status of the track (puddles, wetness) at the end of the rainy lap.
    I am expecting the track to "start" becoming wet, with very low spray and no puddles.
    I am afraid to see a compeltely soaked track, like if it heavy-rained for 1 hour.

Let's see...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

I suggested this experiment because it is more obvious and can be done quickly, not because it is a lone, obscure way to break the system.

You can also set race length to one hour, set wet preset and two slots of overcast and real time, and then set race length to 30 minutes and sync to race with exactly the same settings, and in the latter experiment the track will dry out with accelerated speed because yes, sync to race also accelerates this.

But I guess I give up. I just hope others at Reiza are aware of this and look into how there might be a better solution instead of trying to pretend everyone is making it up.

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

For the price you pay for ice racing, it should rain live in and around the rig :D

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Maybe you should do your racing in the shower for ultimate immersion

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Yeah ... I actually considered subscribing because of the rain system, but it's such an insane scam. 2,500 Dollars for 250 cars and tracks AND a paid subscription as well ... I can do a real life track day for that, or buy my own kart.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely the right word for it, that is fraud and a total rip-off. I don't support that anymore. And to be honest (just because of a good new weather system) I don't understand all this hype, 90% or even more are out and about in dry weather

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. kivipallur1

kivipallur1 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Well the issue isn't the crazy weather transition itself but livetrack status change that is in sync with accelerated weather progression. Livetrack progress should be in sync with time progression imo.

• Agree Agree x 7