Automobilista 2 March 2024 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I think the AI in AMS2 is one of the best. :D

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Does merely sharing the same opinion with another person necessarily entitle one to speak with any meaningful authority on the other's behalf? Anyone who is yearning for that would make a fine republican, whether today or in ancient Rome. Alternatively, each of us in this forum is quite free to express our own ideas and opinions.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

Wonderfully put

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

You are obviously allowed to speak about it - you are doing it now, and I´m replying to your candid opinion with my own. Since I pay for the bandwidth here I think that´s plenty fair.

There are plenty excellent MP sims out there folks - AMS2 isn´t one of them yet, it´s not for lack of effort from us, or because we don´t care or aren´t throwing enough 3D modellers into its persisting issues. Users who are unsatisfied about the state of MP in AMS2 seem convinced that just commenting agressively on it (whether the topic warrants it or not) is the thing that will get us to turn it around, and it just doesn´t work like that. Common sense should tell you that if these were simple issues to fix, or issues for which solutions were well within reach, we´d have gone for them a long time ago already - it would make many of our users happier, and ourselves much more succesful. Sadly it just isn´t that simple.

Now I´ve answered these MP questions similarly and politely numerous, numerous times before in the forum and elsewhere as clearly as I possibly could and it just doesn´t seem to register that we can´t always give you what you want when you want it - we also can´t design the game to each user´s personal preferences or write dev updates exclusively about those personal preferences, and complaining about it won´t change that reality either, but it will eventually wear out my patience as well as that of users who don´t have the same preferences as you - they exist, whether you can believe that or not.

Frankly the only result that can realistically be achieved by continuing with this moaning campaign is to ensure less of these dev updates get written, and I don´t think anyone gets what they want with that. So I suggest giving it and AMS2 a rest, and perhaps spend your time playing one of the other sims with great MP structure for a while - maybe a few months from now you choose to revisit it and find it has evolved in the way you´d hoped, and we´ll all be happier for it :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    • Winner x 48
    • Like x 17
    • Agree x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Creative x 1
  5. Paulo Frazao

Paulo Frazao Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh no, please leave politics out of this. The multiplayer area just didn't get enough attention, but hey, I now know where to look thanks to the tip from the man who invented warm water. (joke)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

sketch1710798690309.png
    Agreed.
    IRacing puddle is not real puddle to me.
    It seems like puddle shader texture sticker on track surface.
    It has no flatten water surface above track surface.
    Of course it removes shadows of track surface and rendering puddle reflextions but look at that broken waves... Waves going up through the track slope surface.
    (I added some colored lines to understanding.)
    Also FFB when entering the puddle is strange to me. It's too weak compared to my experience.

I don't want to saying Iraining is bad, i think they optimized graphics and tuned FFBs for dry-vers in their way.
    It is good for most I racing users. It just not to me.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Paulo Frazao

I don't think that Reiza will remove the dev updates or that they will become fewer. The dev updates are like the well-seasoned meat on a churrasco. and certainly not because of a user who just lets his frustration out. Of course, things don't get done any faster this way - it's just a little confusing as to the current status of development in multiplayer. It would be really great from your side to have a short feedback regarding multiplayer, especially in a dev update, no deadline for when and how the multiplayer system will be ready, just every now and then in a dev update short feedback on how the developments are going.

• Disagree Disagree x 9
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Theoloop

Theoloop Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Paulo Frazao You’re making the rest of us who are patiently waiting for MP updates (that were promised mind you) look bad. So please give it a break. I understand the frustration but if you actually kept tabs on the forums you’d be aware of the amount of work and effort they constantly put into it, and the dedi revision they promised for this year among other things. Instead of making posts like this kicking and screaming. Be patient, if you can’t. Take a break and come back later when it’s ready.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thing is we all feel like it's been on the back burner since AMS2 released 4 years ago. Every department of the game received plenty of TLC but MP.. not that much if any. And we've been whining about it for the better part of what is it, 2 years or more?

We do get that it is difficult to rework what the madness engine offered though (basically pick up and play MP geared towards a console crowd)...
    Anyhow we're looking forward to see what Reiza can manage on that front in 2024. Up until that moment it will be sporadic sprint races only for most leagues that still run this sim. Which is fun enough I guess.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ader Pontes

Ader Pontes Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm getting old... I don't understand how people get bored with something made for fun. It's a pretty detailed simulator, but it's still a PC game made for entertainment. Good thing there's the "Ignore" feature here on the forum. PS.: That's why I prefer AI!

Sorry my bad english !

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. Paulo Frazao

I'm not making anyone look bad who waits patiently. Personally, the only one I make look bad is me, who can't count patience as a friend, but you certainly don't have to feel addressed. But hey, I've been waiting here since day one of AMS2 (just without that much patience):)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Renato Simioni

Let me put this clearly folks so there is no misunderstanding - significant improvements for MP in AMS2 are not as predictable or as straight-forward to achieve as 3d modelling a car, or travelling from a known location to another, where one just need to sit and wait until the destination is reached. It´s more akin to discovering America - you set out in a journey with an idea for what will be reached in the other side and how to get there, but you don´t know for sure that you will, nor how long it may take. You could even be surprised by getting somewhere you didn´t even know existed, but that will only be known when you get there.

We have had devs travelling on these seas for a while already but land has not yet been sighted, and we don´t know for sure when and if it will. Whether this is a great or terrible prospect I suppose comes down to your own personal optimism or lack thereof - we do have enough supplies to keep sailing for a long time still, and it´s not unreasonable to assume that within that time we will eventually reach terra firma - maybe even sooner than we thought. But we are not dealing with known quantities in this particular dev front, so please keep your expectations in check.

• Like x 28
    • Winner x 8
    • Friendly x 6
    • Informative x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  13. Odd Socks

Odd Socks Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As someone who has played this game for over 1,500 hours with 50% of that being online, can I ask that you don't speak for me. M.P. is total usable and playable as it is.
    I race regularly with a group online who are now into their 20th season of league racing, and are also looking at starting an endurance league as well.
    I'm not saying that the MP is perfect, but I'm enjoying what we have got rather than complain about what we haven't.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does that mean we will get Lamborghini SC63, Ferrari 296 GT3 and Lexus RCF GT3? Does this mean we will get IMSA support series too?

Exciting times ahead for AMS2.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Renato Simioni

Indeed - for all the valid complaints about MP in AMS2 being limited in resources and subject to unrealibility issues especially with larger grids (both which we´d readily aknowledge and are still pushing to improve on), the suggestion that AMS2 MP is not useable at all while leagues who have adapted to its current limitations have been running succesful seasons without significant issues is needlessly hyperbolic.

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Like Like x 1
  17. 50footELVIS

50footELVIS Member AMS2 Club Member

One aspect of p2p multi-player that I am hoping for is "Host Controls."
    The current vote-to-kick option is a feature that has not been too successful when I have hosted "open lobbies" in the past. (this has been attempted for one reason; to find a few clean drivers, that might want to join up with a group that is growing in number. Yes, the stereotype is there with public lobbies being the plague that affects all sims with unruly drivers.) Any unruly drivers should be asked to leave. If grief is their aim, then the Host should have the option to remove the person that is causing problems on track, or in the chat.) I hope this is a feature that is seriously being considered.
    Other than that, pass-worded lobbies are current solution.
    I hope all will eventually see a future MP in AMS2 that is well-accepted.
    50 cents spent.
    Cheers.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. lunamoon

lunamoon Active Member

While we're on the multiplayer topic, Renato, is there any interest from Reiza in the near future to making a "daily race" feature in multiplayer of sorts? (like the ones you can find in Gran Turismo/Forza/LFM/ACC/iRacing) Not sure if this was ever mentioned in the plans, but I'd be curious to hear if that's a possibility within the current limitations. I think an in-game system with races running every one or two hours that make use of the safety system already in-game for splits could be a great change for the game, kinda like we have with the weekly time trial but more engaging. I believe a lot of people who enjoy systems like LFM and iRacing appreciate having set times for races they can just sign up at the spot, and having two or three dedicated servers per week featured in the menu like in Time Trial would be a great addition.

Overall I find it that it's very unreliable to find good servers at consistent times, and often the only times I have good racing is if I hop on with 4 or 5 more friends (who also race cleanly), then people start joining and it's usually great (besides the issues that are currently being investigated, like client desync or leaderboard issues, netcode seems to be very stable in these past few months with a few exceptions). Maybe if there were set races every one or two hours this would make the player count and quality of lobbies more reliable? Not too sure what's the weekly participation on the Time Trial events, but I think it would be great nonetheless!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. lunamoon

lunamoon Active Member

Moderation tools for the lobby leaders is an absolute must in the near future, I've had plenty of issues with certain problematic players that would just keep coming back immediately even if they got voted out by the entire server. Often there seems to be a community within AMS2 that just enjoys grifting and playing dirty, if not just driving in the opposite way, and there's little that can be done to fix that from the host's perspective. I've had one instance where someone was driving backwards for an entire race taking people out, then we've all voted to kick that person (since I think it needs a considerable amount of votes), and they just kept coming back. In the end we've had to tell the others in the server about the issue, set a password for the server and change it to password only so we could race. Insane that that's the only way to get rid of a griefter lol.

Oh, that and blocking as well, as well as reporting offensive messages. I've seen all kinds of slurs and profanity in the AMS chat, and the possibility of you getting harassed by another player without any repercussions and a way to shut them off is very, very real, which is not good. Definitely some more things to be looked at besides netcode and sync issues that are just as important IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Proper ingame host controls (for example kick player/ take over admin/ restart session) would be a significant step already.

• Agree Agree x 3