Automobilista 2 March 2024 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Ohhh sorry, I confused you with Donald Trump:D:p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. squalles

squalles New Member

good to hear about graphics improvements but probably will makes the game more heavy, so, any chance of dlss support? this can help so much, because the game don´t have good options to AA, i´m using 2560x1440 resolution with msaa 4x (msaa mid) and yet have jagged edges on guard rails, shadow of trees on track and curbs lines

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

YES

• Like Like x 1
  4. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Member AMS2 Club Member

WHAT.?

5. Racinglegend1234

Read from page 12 and you will see

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Yes that's exactly how I feel. Don't know why but as I've got older I'm less inclined to play anything online, time constraints are probably the main reason tbh .
    Regarding the ai , I've recently revisited pc2 on the ps5 and have been pleasantly surprised by the overall experience ! What a car and track list that game has !
    When I originally played pc2 it was on an Xbox one and although I sunk hundreds of hours into it I was always left disappointed because of performance issues on that platform, physics especially when the system started to get taxed .
    On the ps5 though it's really a different game , handles beautifully once you get the controller dialled in . Anyway I digress , if anyone thinks the ai isn't up to scratch in ams2 then they should load up pc2 and then see how far it's come , night and day !

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Very good assessment of current state of wet track in AMS2. I believe that if Reiza could nail the transition time from dry to wet and wet to dry we will be in a good place regarding wet weather. When track is soaked wet the puddles seem to be on right places and the wet lines are getting better vs rubbered ones. I never use accelerated time, but I steel feel that transition is too abrupt even when is done from dry to light rain. The track gets wet too quickly. If Reiza could smooth out these transitions, it will greatly help on immersion.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

What does comparing the AI to PC2 have to do with AMS2 ? It is just the same engine and PC2 was made by a completely different dev team.

I am always comparing the AI in AMS2 to many other racing games i played over many years where the AI did the things i described as missing here. But i would like to hear what do you think the AI in AMS2 does well, or in your comparison what does AMS2 AI do better than PC2 ?

Would be even better to have a video comparison if possible.

9. Petrolhead

Totally agree, I'm also a multi player only and race with a lot of people who have the same opinion

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Well then if I was you I'd be playing those games for my sp fix .

11. Petrolhead

I second this. The are a few drivers join a lobby for devilment

12. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Just try it for yourself if you are interested. I'm not uploading comparison videos. Was simply making an observation, pc2 ai is shockingly bad in almost every department compared to ams2 in my opinion, that's with hindsight though as at the time it seemed pretty serviceable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

A lot of new MP resources will come with the new UI in v1.6. We will cover the new UI and its MP repercussions in due time, as we will cover all the other cool V1.6 developments that are not pertinent to this month´s release.

• Like Like x 36
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Even now, after many years, PC2 is still one of my favorite simulation games and I still enjoy it:)

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. brendanrfoley

brendanrfoley Member

I’m new to AMS2 (and sim racing on PC in general) after abandoning the horribly broken Forza Motorsport — and I truly love Reiza's approach.

Perspective of a new(ish) player:
    • The AI is not perfect, of course, but it’s still the best AI I've ever encountered in a racing game. AMS2 has given me racing experiences I've never had before against computer opponents. Being challenged, defended against, etc.

• I've seen the lack of a "career" mode as a blessing for now. It's forced me to just race without worrying about points earned, career progression, and unlocks. Gaining ONE position sometimes feels like a great accomplishment, even if that means I'm going from 12th to 11th place. The entire emphasis is on my skill level. Nothing else.

• I've played for 70+ hours since mid-January and most of that time has just been in the "test day" mode learning my preferred car (McLaren 720s Evo) and preferred practice track (Spa).

My best lap time is down to a 2:19 with some assists. I did hit 2:17 with one of the modded Ferrari's — but I feel that time has an asterisk attached given it was a mod.

• The controller support is very, very good. I neither have a wheel at the moment nor the space in my home for one. The fact that AMS2 is accessible to folks using a controller is a huge plus. I had tried ACC and it was... messy.

• The amount of track content is staggering. Why would I play anything else when there are 40+ locations in AMS2? And the historical layouts are divine! The comparatively paltry track selection in other games makes it hard to go back.
    The accessibility of AMS2 — and apparent focus on single-player content — has made the game hugely accessible. It's been an incredible gateway into the most-realistic racing experience I've had so far (even though I'm far from driving with sim standards, no assists, etc.).

Games focused purely on multiplayer are closed off to players like me. Not only would I not be competitive, I'd be a danger to others on the track. I'd be that guy on r/simracingstewards on Reddit struggling to hold my line and taking others out. I'm just not ready for that.

So I don't disagree with anyone who wants more multiplayer features. But I don't want folks to lose sight of the fact that there may be people, like me, who adore AMS2 purely because it’s so great for solo play. For me this is the sim to go to for a fantastic racing experience free of the stress of online play, harassment, rammers, etc.

On the topic of the March update — it looks like the shader work in Ibarra made the grass greener? Or there are updated textures? I took a few laps to draw a mental comparison and the 1.6 upgrades look like they'll be a wonderful bonus!

• Like x 19
    • Friendly x 8
    • Agree x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly this.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

1. This was already clarified in the update we are all replying to...

2. I, too, would love to see some electric vehicles, but the tracks that FE race on are the absolute most complex to model and replicate for a video game and, in many cases, some of the worst tracks ever conceived for exciting racing. I wouldn't hold my breath to see any of them in AMS 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Racinglegend1234

You can add the cars without the track though

• Like Like x 1
  19. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Yeah and make it obvious that AMS2 is targeting beginners and rookies who are not able to setup a virtual car themselves.
    Its a bit strange that something like this intended to attract a wider MP audience wants to do it by restricting the possibilities in the game.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

iRacings new weather system, its awesome! (now if they can just sort out the tire physics!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1