Automobilista 2 March 2024 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

now that im thinking about it maybe reiza woulda want the nascar license for the cars without official liveries but the nascar brasil cars with the official liveries who knows

2. jeanvendors

jeanvendors Active Member

The rights lapsed from MSG but that’s not gonna make Penske any less stingy with them, I wager.

3. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

Of course, I'm guessing but I remember being pleasantly shocked over how Reiza went from update to update at the end of last year. I think this team is getting really good at this. I can't think of another racing sims that has such frequent updates.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

Maybe because it is what I miss the most in AMS2, but gonna say an expansion of the career mode. Not expecting the fully comprehensive one promised long ago, but with the so much new content, we need offline racers more slots to pursue an ongoing effort across different classes. PC2 career mode still leaves some to be desired, but it is more fun than the one in AMS2 now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bealdor

Bealdor Member

I'm not disagreeing with you but it's always a little funny to read posts like these because I clearly remember how tons of people (me included) complained that PCARS 2 only had a career mode and not a (offline) custom championship mode like AMS 2 has now. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

It's the survivorship bias but reversed - people who get what they want don't complain :D

PC2 had career mode - championship enjoyers complained. AMS2 has championships - career enjoyers complain. Never ending cycle haha

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

To quote the December dev update:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I did not complain, i played the career mode a lot in PC2 but haven't touched the custom championship mode in AMS2 at all.

10. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

PCars 2 had a career mode which looked nice but the horrendous ai destroyed all the good intentions. For me it made absolutely no sense to race against the PCars 2 ai.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. TomLehockySVK

Can you please tell me what stuff was bad about the PC2 AI ? I mean an actual explanation with examples of what happened to you which made the AI bad ?

12. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In general they were too slow, they braked in places where you normally don't brake, they weren't able to defend their position, they sometimes wobbled on their line...

All in all I remember the AI as one of the worst, sometimes I even found the one in Assetto Corsa better, and that's saying something.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

The racinglife app is a nice way of having a career mode that utilizes the custom championship feature. I believe there are other apps available.

It is also possible to create your own career path using custom championship. Yes you do have to keep track of everything yourself, but while we wait for the official career option I don't think this is too much of an hardship.

14. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Racing Life and For the Win are both good stop gap carrer apps until the game official one releases. I think you can do some very immersive and cool junior/amateur short races championships right now with the sim. But there are still some major features missing and issues, to do proper professional series championships and careers. We still don't have constructor points, the AI only uses the soft tire and are lacking in pit strategies, no mid race save for endurance races, the AI pace is impossibly fast with dry tires on a wet track and many other little and not so little issues that hamper the quality of doing longer races on many of the more pro classes.

So until then I am doing these short junior stuff championships and it's pretty cool.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't forget the races had canned weather so you'd never get changes if you were running the same championship again. Pretty sure the IndyCar championship also had a mixture of road and oval cars as well in the races.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TomLehockySVK

From my memories what i played i struggle to remember what issues i was having with the AI, i do remember the random wobbles happening. But with the "they weren't able to defend their position", i hope you know that AMS2 AI also has no idea how to defend their positions either and will just follow the racing line and ignore either your approach, or the other AI approaching behind until someone is next to them. I have seen videos where people say "The AI defend against your attacks" .. that is just a lie, and i am working on a video that shows no matter what settings you choose the AI are passive to any overtake attempts be it in the corners or straights.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

Not hoping for that. A, to me, simple expansion of career slots from 4 to 8 would satisfy me at this point

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

The current way to program "AI" will never be enough.
    The first studio to use machine learning (using reinforcement learning) to train AI behavior and not just simple fuzzy logic, will become a king (to a point many will leave online racing entirely).
    We really need randomness, aggressive, compliant, unpredictable behaviors, errors, etc., all in one track at once.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Polyphony have already done this with their Sophy AI. Result was - well, mostly a novelty. Turns out, it's much easier and less time consuming to finetune a "primitive" AI than to try to force the ML model to behave as you wish. ML models are great at pushing the limits of the environment they're designed for - not so much at being moderate and "random", as you put it. And since no one likes driving against an alien, I don't see ML's becoming a thing in sim racing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. TomLehockySVK

AI in F1 22 was already the highlight by the simple fact that they move to different lanes on the straights, follow the draft of the car ahead properly, they use ERS strategically to attack the position ahead, and they make realistic errors by locking up, crashing, spinning, etc. Not played F1 23 much (was part of PS Plus recently) but so far F1 22 is the benchmark for AI racing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2