Automobilista 2 March 2024 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 16, 2024.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Principally you are correct. Learning AI to play chess and learning it to drive a virtual car is night and day.
    But checking out how reasonable "realistic" Sonys Sophy is able to drive allready now just after a few years development then I guess it will be within the next year this AI will be both useable and user scaleable to any skill level.
    [Mod-Edit: No place for identity politics here]Check out Emily Jones because she is both entertaining and drives pretty good.
    And can allmost follow this Sophy thing when she begins to learn of Sophys dirty tricks (curb riding).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2024
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Fineraft

Fineraft Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, at least they're honest about it (I know which company you're pointing to). It's an anomaly in the gaming world. And yes, they over promised.
    I do however give them another chance. Hello Games and CDPR have shown a redemption story can be created. And to be honest, their new sim isn't that bad. Yes, there's still a lot more room for improvement. Yet, it's in steam EA. And for an EA, it's surprisingly good. Far from perfect, but I've seen worse... much worse

3. pipimax007

pipimax007 Member

Wow, nice text. A lot of research too on what happened on those days =)
    I came to AMS2 a little later, after they released the Argentina tracks (and it was on sale, of course). I owned PCcars 2 and after finishing most of the career (which was great but the freaking scripted rainy tracks + the lack of long championships) left me looking for a custom championship mode. Surprise! There wasn't any! That was when I first asked if AMS2 had that option on steam forums in 2022, and bought the game right away.
    I usually like career modes because they give you a bit of progression, and other events besides the main championship, but I had forgotten how compelling a simple full length singleplayer 90's F1 championship could be! I used to play a lot of Grand Prix 2 back in the day (one of my only Pc games hehe) and it felt like that but so much better... Of course, the modding community really helped with that, special thanks to all those passionate people.
    The AI, although inconsistent, is really fun -mostly. Moreover, since we don't have a career mode where you have to finish at least 3rd to progress (that was my main frustration with PC2 and those very scripted short championships), it's okay if a mistake (or Ai's mistake) get you out of the race, no need to restart the whole thing :p

Ok, too long. I mostly wanted to say that I'd prefer to be possitive and praise the game because of what it already is. Especially for the singleplayer side of things.

Excited for this update!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Edit: had a long wordy post talking about my life and whatever. Felt like I overstepped boundaries a bit too much, just regret responding in the first place because I don't actually think we'll get anywhere.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  5. kallenhard

kallenhard Member

CTMP (Mosport) Actually has a lot of good passing zones, but in particular T3 and T5A are really good. T8 is good because you use the Andretti straight to set it up. Getting a good exit out of 5B and the power down on 5C is essential.

Fun facts: 5A is so rubbered in the inside curb is sticky to walk on. 5C is permanently swampy because of the water drainage so you do NOT want to touch the grass on either side.

6. Fineraft

Fineraft Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh, I can still remember that. I do have to say, I like both actually. Would be a great mix; custom championship mode, a career mode. Well, a man can dream:D
    To add to it, pC2 really got me into sim racing. I truly have some fond memories of that sim (and some bad). Talking about content, I would love Bannochbrae. I know it's available as a mod, but it would be great to have it officially. ;)

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

Yeah, it got old, but I liked the way you had to do well in lower classes to move on. I can wait 8 months though.

8. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

I think you just made one...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. jeanvendors

jeanvendors Active Member

Really nice write up, it can be easy to avoid reminiscing when it comes to simracing as maybe in our minds it”s only a hobby, but I appreciate a short view back to the past every now and then. I too have my feedback about issues with AMS2 that frustrate me (mostly centered on Custom Championships), but I do really enjoy the sim.
    Did have to laugh when you got to the Long Beach Grand Prix as I was actually there for that race, and remember when AMS2 CM dropped. Didn’t think it’d ever be that easy to install mods. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. lunamoon

lunamoon Active Member

Is this really necessary commentary? What a disrespectful jab for no reason, it adds nothing to your post, why do you feel the need to put "girl" on quotations? Why does that even matter to you? Grow up.

• Agree x 21
    • Winner x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Humans were beaten at chess in 1997... Deep Blue wasn't even a neutral network AI like we use today.
    For some time now, AI is able to beat best top guns at dogfight (that's a 3D environment). I think racing AI only needs 2D world decisions, you don't plan to jump over another car to overtake it (I hope :D).
    The likes in lunamoon post above, says a lot. Some people choose not to learn anymore, sticking to identitarianism, that's a shame.
    Let's go back to IMSA speculations, that really will change the game and the world around it.

(edited: everyone,go see what Garry Kasparov says about machines, the ones that took his job back in 1997)

12. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Remember that RX is a thing in AMS2

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

I must say I don't really understand your argument. Your point about the driving of a car being very difficult to build an AI around seems not to be supported by the Sophy video, which clearly overcomes (too well!) the problems you describe in the text. I also don't think that it wouldn't be possible to add subsystems that model mistakes, noise in the inputs, etc. Of course we don't know how the Sophy "brain" is modelled, but not all AI/ML is naive neural nets. Furthermore, it seems like it would be easy (and a tremendously fun data science problem) to generatively model the types of mistakes that human players make around a theoretically optimal limit. These are relatively simple time series that you could augment with some appropriate random
    noise (delay a braking point by a few ticks, increase the throttle a bit early on exit, etc.)
    Unless of course you are essentially saying that the GT7 model is simple enough that it can be done there, but that AMS2 is much more complex and it wouldn't be easy to do. On that I would possibly agree with you, but mostly because i'm a fanboy for our beloved Automobilista...:whistle:

Whilst there are a lot of variables in a sim, only a few of them are actually visible or usable by a real-life driver, so it seems like it would simple to limit the state space to that set of features. Rendering code is fully designed to calculate what parts of a scene are visible to a player so it should not be impossible to also limit the AI to being "aware" of that information; that and some basic telemetry data makes me feel it wouldn't be hard at all. Add a feature or two to represent fuel and tyre wear and you've got a reasonable approximation of a well-informed human driver. Then generating the 4 axes of inputs shouldn't be too hard; the steering inputs are only about 127 values either side of the middle (as output by e.g. AMS2 telemetry, i don't know if this is a quantisation that is coarser than the actual measured data), and similar for the pedals (a byte each).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Because she is obvisionally not a girl anymore but a woman.
    And just like i often comment about GM that he is both entertaining and a good driver then I do the same here.
    Hehe but my honest posive post was probably not woke enough for people who want to really show off how extremely woke-ish they are.:p:p

ByTheWay: I dont think what matters to me is your bussines:rolleyes:

• Dislike Dislike x 15
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

artworks-iAGqVyN8CMvlvvcB-RRzPpg-t500x500.jpg

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tsumo

tsumo New Member

You ever consider people aren't trying to show off that they're "woke", and maybe just don't want to be assholes for no reason? It took extra effort to go out of your way and make that snarky comment than it would for you to have simply not (though, that's not to say you should only be kind to people when it takes less effort).
    Your smarmy little remark at the start of this comment certainly isn't helping matters either, just so you know.

• Agree Agree x 14
  17. Iuri_Rein

Iuri_Rein Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I would like to use it on the Instagram profile of my AV league in Brazil, if you authorize me? And I also want to give credit to you for the entire Brazilian community.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Raphael Camelo

Raphael Camelo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Excellent post, congratulations

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You like playing smart Bruno, we get it. But this time it was one time too much, good bye. :)

• Winner Winner x 21
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Folks, little reminder that this is a sim racing forum - please leave identity politics- and similar debates out of here (no matter what stance you may have on that topic, it just doesn't belong here) - just report and let the mod team handle it! :)

(If something slips from time to time, it may happen, will not get you banned, continuous trolling and enduring condescending behaviour on the other hand will, we're not providing bandwidth for that kind of attitude, thanks for your understanding!)

• Winner Winner x 22
    • Like Like x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1