Automobilista 2 V1.5.6.1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.6.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

I mean, at that point, I think that may be a "you" issue, not a general problem. Such a high end system shouldn't be so affected by something like AMS2.

I don't say this in a mean way, just genuinely pondering - maybe there's some settings you overlooked (NVidia control panel?), or a bottleneck you haven't considered (incompatibile motherboard?).

2. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I know that panel by hearth :D

It only affects VR afaik and yes it affects everybody. It's something with the lightning model that taxes your CPU like crazy, only in VR. It's not a bug, it runs "as expected". The exact same thing happens in flightsims on other systems with other CPU/CPU combo's.
    I wasn't complaining or anything... I'm well aware of the limits of the hard- and software I use and at what point I voided any responibilty from the vendor or developer :cool:
    (I've been doing this for a looooong time :whistle:)
    I'm the one who wants to run it in VR at the limit with these settings. I don't blame Reiza!
    I run everything on ultra now with opencomposite and frametimes never exceed 11ms.
    With SteamVR I can run at 110% SS with the reverb and fps vr as an overlay.
    But the opencomposite and helmet visor are in another league.
    So ...
    AMS2 runs great in VR for me, until it rains or gets dark.
    I know ASW/Motion repro are an option, but I don't want/like that, period.
    It's the same in any other decent flightsim also tbh.
    (What you see in youtube @60fps is NOT what happens in the headset @90hz or @120hz)

It's up and foremost a limit of the current technology (or how we use it?).

Anyway, it only affects VR, I never ever had any graphical issues with the game itself.
    When I crash, it's 99.9% of the times because I fail, not the hard or software :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. B Stu

B Stu Member

Doesn't crew chief only work fully in a race scenario?

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

In all seriousness, it may be great. I don't ride bikes, but there is the same issue as with any video game presenting a human perspective on a flat screen--how to translate and transmit the sensation of motion. Our brains work in different ways...that's why we have options and settings.

That video makes me sea sick watching it. I assume if I played the game it would be even worse. But I have no idea what settings are available, nor do I know if it is even possible to design a motorbike game that would work with my brain! I know there is a small minority of people who cannot deal with racing sims no matter what the settings. A larger minority of people cannot deal with VR.

5. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

Nope - worked before and still does :) 02-04-2024 18-46-21.png

But when chasing a ghost car I stop CrewChief - Jim doesn't know it's not a real car so he gets ... worried :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

I understand ... I like racing on a big TV with a controller, in VR or IRL.
    But I tried with multiple screens & rig, I just can't seem to get a decent feel for the car and I feel sick after a while...
    The first time I played AMS with a VR headset, felt like coming home :rolleyes:
    (and I got sick after 2minutes EA's F1 2023 in VR)

7. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

For sure, it's just a focus thing. In my case, it adopts the 50Hz I have in my 4th monitor (just a correlation, don't know if it is a cause-effect). The ALT-TAB brings the focus back to AMS2 and Windows let it do it's things.

But the POV is perfect :D

It's done, you're 1st place and still complaining? :D:D:D
    Seriously, it sometimes stucks, I have a button to turn spotter ON/OFF and it solves the problem whenever it occurs. Also useful for private quali in some games/servers.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

Hi Matt, in AMS2, go to system and check that shared memory is set to project cars.
    That might do the trick.

9. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

The reason I'm chipping in is because I'm also a VR user (albeit nowhere even close to running anything on Ultra :whistle:), and rain/night is not so much of a performance hit for me.

Granted I haven't run a night race in a while, but rain only drops me from a 90 with barely any overhead to 80-85s.

Hence why I think it's a "you" problem. The average VR user isn't running Ultra and 110 SS and at stable FPS. Even with these settings, it seems weird for the game to get such a massive performance hit in those conditions. A "you" problem could very well also be one of the Ultra settings not being optimised for VR, for example.

But from the looks of it sounds like you believe it to be a dual CPU bottleneck - in that case, couldn't you force AMS2 to run on a single CPU?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

VR performance/graphics is an individual form of art. In any game. I'm happy with AMS2, even with headlights and rain, because I had my share of sadness in MSFS2020 and DCS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

This game desperately needs a "max rendered headlights ahead / behind" setting because the performance in VR during night is just plain terrible due there being no limit and too much unnecessary stuff is rendered.

• Agree Agree x 14
  12. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

To those who do not know. Renato specifically stated that they would add an extra option to the "visible cars" so that you can elect to only reduce the number of cars rendered BEHIND the player in order to help with this headlights behind performance issue. Renato said it would be "available in the next update cycle". We have had 2 updates since this statement including this one which is probably why people are asking "where is it"?. But as usual, people come in and think they know it all and start responding in the usual fashion. Maybe it would be nice to hear officially what happened to this new option being as Renato himself stated it will be available and if it is indeed still in the pipeline.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  13. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

The cycle is on going ….

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

I use process lasso , tried disabling HT/P-cores etc.
    Expected with the ultra settings ofc.
    It's very playbable in the rain & nighttime if I set reflections for example.
    Happy driver, nonetheless ;)

15. Guillermo D. Luque

Guillermo D. Luque New Member

Oh man, yours was not far away... For some strange reason after the AMS2 update, an option in my antivirus was activated that makes all folders without write permission... strange...
    Anyway, it's already resolved! Thank you very much for the tip!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

So by your definition.. what do you consider to be "the next update cycle" from when this was stated which was 1.5.5. Is it 1.6?

17. Demichkd

Demichkd Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Nevermind.

18. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

i think that would be a fair assumption.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

I use a 4th monitor. Might be it.

20. Matt Sanderson

Matt Sanderson New Member

@Phantas79
    Hey mate thankyou for all your suggestions which I have tried greatly appreciated, but I'm still having no luck getting crewchief to work on AMS2 but is working fine on all other titles...very frustrating to say the least especially when it was working before the update hmmm....