Automobilista 2 V1.5.6.1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.6.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I asume everybody here already is aware of the Legacy camera right? For me I always run a very static camera with basically no movement, so I can't speak about a floaty feeling comming from a camera that doesn't move. But if you have problems with the camera it may be worth also telling with camera settings are you guys using.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

the lock to horizon option usually just don't work at all in ovals / oval style sections. I just hate it there and that's why I don't use legacy camera moment (as locked) in AMS2 either. I use the default, but set the head movement to 100, damping that kind of moment as much as possible, then have just a bit bit of movement from g-forces (20 in all) and a bit of camera leaning in corners (5-10).

It feels quite natural for me in VR at least. In rF2, where the camera causes me nausea on VR, there is this weird, delay in the camera when moving left to ride (even on straight), where first you see the car moving and then with delay, the camera trails it and when it does that, it causes weird feeling to me no matter what (even if I lock the horizon, I get it still a bit). The difference is big enough that I even though I'm very comfrotable with AMS2 on VR, I rather drive rF2 with a monitor. I get motion sickness quite easily though.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

There are probably a dozen threads on this already back in the camera settings heyday ;)

But as mentioned above, no point in discussing an issue here unless you provide settings...ALL settings related to the camera and movement, so people can compare and contrast. There is a full range of settings available in AMS 2 including extremes at two ends of a spectrum that each tend to bother some proportion of the population. Hence, why there are a wide range of options.

Secondly, be aware that this isn't a console racer with a magic camera pivot point applied universally. If you are using the game as a sim, and therefore using cockpit view, every car has a unique driving position based on the design of the car. Pure race cars attempt to put the driver as close to the centre point as possible, but this is obviously impossible in cars without a central driving position, or in cars based on road cars, or in many other scenarios. We also have extremes like the Caterhams, where the driver is sitting almost over the rear axle--behind where the back seat would be in a typical car. So, we shouldn't expect that it feels the same to drive (including the viewing perspective) as an Uno.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Locking camera to the horizon for me is the origin of most of the floating visual feeling. It is pretty obviously unnatural view. Especially when you start adding head motion towards the apex and all the other similar things
    My suggestion is to use the legacy version and increasingly lock it to the car as much as you are able to bear and skip all those auto-movements of the head turning them to zip.

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. Marc Collins

I sure hope no one with issues is using that option!! Hence why we need to see all settings.

6. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

For VR users, if help, I like these settings:

Original head moviment, a little head moviment for damping, and limited G forces vertical and longitudinal (we wear seating belts) and a bit more lateral, to feel and catch slides and feel impacts (some examples in video).

Works nice in 2D too. AMS2 have tons of cockpit camera settings for everyone.

• Like Like x 3
  7. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Why the stock cars are driven from position that seems like a backseat? I have no clue, haven't ever watched even Nascar (outside that pretty new and pretty good Netlfix series), is it for safety?

8. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I drove the Nascar stock cars on iRacing and it does not feel the "backseat", but the Brazil stock cars do feel like you are sitting much further back for some reason, in VR it feels like you cannot even see what is on your left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ernesto_171

Adapted stock car:

Beautiful done in AMS2, but I personaly hate drive these bathtubs.

10. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

There are no similarities between NASCAR Stock cars and Brazilian SC , the Brazilian SC is a small family sedan shell that they have shoehorned in a big V8 behind the front axle , something has to give and it’s the cockpit .

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

The problem is POV related that implicitly makes FFB and car movements 'feel wrong'.
    It's easier to verify this on an open-wheel, where we can see the ground near the car.
    While doing a donnut (or a tight spin) one front wheel will be almost locked to ground. That can be seen on external view (the physics are ok) but on the internal view, normal seat position, where the car looks like it's spinning around your POV (the front wheels, both, are sliding in a circle around that POV). That's why it feels so much better to me if I move the seat to an unrealist setting (like be seated on top of front axel, like bonnet view).
    Of course, that's no way to race realistically, so I just move the seat as far forward as I can but still be inside the car...

Preciselly, that's what I see.

For anyone on triples, does the distance to front monitor change a thing? (edited: single screen users can also try this)
    (it should change the POV big time but in AMS2 it doesn't)

So, for anyway saying/feeling AMS2 is correct, can you post a video of a car making a tight spin, from external and internal camera?
    (VR users, don't bother, it would not be representative)

12. Marc Collins

Either that or weight distribution as well. The drivers are also sitting literally on the floor of the car, barely peeking above the dash.

My favourite extreme is in the WRC where some of the co-pilots would sit so low to aid weight distribution they couldn't see the road fully. I guess they rely on their notes anyway, but that or the Stock Car seating would drive me crazy if I was doing it for real!! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Marc Collins

This must be one of those brain things. When I use a forward POV or camera like the bumper cam, I feel a bit like I am driving one of those buses where the driver is far ahead of the front axle (it's not that bad, of course). I think someone mentioned above--use the POV that works for your brain or happiness. There is not an absolute right or wrong answer and the important thing is that the cars use plausible physics (dimensions, turning capabilities, driver positioning, etc.). The rest is personal preference since our brains obviously don't all read screens and VR the same way.

And, perhaps importantly, I use an ultrawide (21:9) monitor, so that undoubtedly is perceived differently than a regular format monitor.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Ernesto_171

It's exactly the same moviment in space of tyres and car, in any view. VR or flat screen, even in open wheelers.

15. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Thanks for your concern, I appreciate that.
    It's harder for me to see the difference... can you post a video of the replay showing the same spins from cockpit and external view?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

Just came to say, the new rain FX are a vast improvement from the previous version released a few weeks ago. We still have that dramatic-can't-see-****-just-like-irl feel, but a lot more reasonably implemented, and that look of white "cards" coming at you also vastly improved. Still present a bit, but vastly better.

Made for a wonderful experience racing on a soaked track with the Formula Classics gen 3.

Thank you Reiza.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Ernesto_171

ASAP:

If you pause the video in poits that front tyres cross some track key points in slides, they are in the same spot in any view. To fell more, I use a lot of G forces in camera settings, but in VR is much more noticeable the car movements in any axis.

For me, lateral G forces on camera settings is a MUST in VR. Some feels "floaty" in 2D.

18. Ernesto_171

I',m using particles level at LOW and density at ULTRA, no more highly noticeable white cards and is great now for sure!

If Reiza someday do a magic and get rid of "xray particles textures" and crazy sparks in VR (I don't know if it's even possible), for me no need to improve anything else in graphics.

• Like Like x 1
  19. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

A lot of people are sorry for the English these days, especially the English!

Sorry, but I have knee-jerk reaction that makes me comment sarcastically in a punny way. Seeing as English is your second (or third or fourth) language, someone might need to explain my humor to you.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 12
  20. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It seems that the Wet Skill custom AI parameter has been stealth activated on one of these last updates. Had an excellent race at Kyalami historic with the F-VintageG1, started dry, after 10 minutes it started to rain mostly on the middle and last sector, after 15 or so minutes it got properly wet on those 2 sectors while the main straight and first 2 corners were damp. That's when Stewart (one of the highest wet skill driver in my custom AI file) came from 10th to 5th within 15 minutes. He and Clark where flying while Ickx was punching above his weight.

It was very cool to see both the progression of the track and how the top wet skill drivers gained positions when it got wet, it would be even better if a soaked track would trigger more AI mistakes!

The only issues I found was that both the track and ambient temps never got below the beginning of the race 88°F and 74°F, even when dark and soaked wet, and the AI difficulty (which has already been reported to be too easy in this class). Everything else was excellent, 9 cars finished, they retired from different points in the race and the end results where very similar to real life, very nice Reiza.

• Like Like x 2