Automobilista 2 V1.5.6.1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.6.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 30, 2024.

1. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would say you definitely lost time to to both BMW's. As you enter the first part of the chicane there's maybe 2 tenths between you all, if even. At the exit I would say the gap to the lead BMW has gone out to maybe 5 or 6 tenths? Of course you'd need to view the telemetry to be sure but the gap to both has clearly gone out as a result of your slide.

As for LMU/rF2 being more or less accurate who knows, but what I will say is if you go watch an alien put in a fast laps in rf2 and I assume in LMU also you'll see that at the limit rf2 clearly stops respecting the laws of physics and you can just powerslide your way around a lap. All we can really take from this is that at different speeds under different conditions, different sims are more or less accurate than each other. All of which is just an abstraction anyway. :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

I've said this before but I'll say it again so not doubt is left behind...
    I see more verisimilitude between AMS2 and LMU than differences, that's how far sim racing has come. Pointing out the differences is really a personal thought exercise and is also important to see others opinions. I still find AMS2 less organic in some areas, so I point them out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Although AMS2 is excellent in the FFB dpt, I do still prefer the feel of AMS1 in regards of the sharpness of how the tires feel connected to the road.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS1 code = GMOTOR rF1 + Reiza's magic touch ..:)

5. RockettSally

RockettSally The Average AMS2 enjoyer

I played both AMSs back-to-back with the same car/track combo and it's staggering to see how two wildly different physics engine are producing identical results.

What I've noticed is that AMS1 is less forgiving and there's less "flex" in the tyres and chassis - explains the more connected feeling - which means that the car has a more narrow window for the tyre slip and, once it loses the rear, it's kinda gone with no way to recover.

AMS2 still feels a bit "vague" with some of it's cars, but definitely they are more playful and more forgiving when it slides. But honestly it's much closer than a lot of people think.

I mean, compared to early AMS2, both are very similar (but I still prefer AMS2s modern sensibilities).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

I am curious about how you feel about the new tire model. For me it is night and day and I am so excited about it coming to the rest of the cars. Have you tried the Stock Car 2024 and the F-Ultimate Gen 2? They are quite niche, as it were, but they've both gone from relatively boring to the most fun car classes just with the new tire model, for me.

I don't have LMU, but I have to say that I just find amazing that LMU has worked to hard to produce like, 8 tracks and what, 10 cars? to reach what AMS2 has on a small subset of all of its content. Ok, I get that the engine is the engine and the cars are (fun and complicated) variations on a theme, but I can't help but look down a bit on the other sims (AC without mods ofc, ACC and LMU) given how much more AMS2 does.

How do you feel about the new tyre model changes (SC2024/FUltimate Gen2)? Do you think they go some way to bridging the gap you feel exists in the model?

7. stealthradek

stealthradek Smooth operatooooooor AMS2 Club Member

Whether the physics details are 100% realistic or 95% - I don't care. It's realistic enough to feel... well... realistic.

And it's the only sim that doesn't feel digital and clinical. It's the closest feeling that I have in the current roster for actual real driving sensation.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

I might be missing something big time here guys, thus I ask for help.
    I tried my best but I am really not loving the new water effect...
    I mean, I have 2 main issues and I tried my best with all the settings of level/density (ultra-high, low-high, ultra-low, low-low) but I cannot get rid of:
    1) water coming out of car ahead in clear ad distinguished parallel planes intersecting the tarmac
    2) when by side of a car, it seems that water is thrown from the opposite side of the car only and not from the wheels facing me. As soon as I go behind the car, water spray everywhere.

Please check this video from 00:40 onwards.

Note:vr user here.

Am I missing something?

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

It is an odd visual effect, but does the spray hit your car when it is supposed to hit it, or is there a lack of spray due to this visualization out the side of the other cars? I am sure it is some sort of graphics engine compromise, but whether it works properly is of most interest to me.

10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, good point, tho. I love them both. They have their pro's and con's.

11. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

The entire Reiza team cringe at the thought of bringing snow and ice into the game. Woe betide the snowmen melting. Unrealistic.

Unfortunately, VR is a blessing and a curse at the same time. Let's not fool ourselves. We won't rest until E=MC2 is calculated in the game engine. :D

VR is wonderful but it also opens our eyes to how empty and static the game worlds still are. With single and triple monitors I criticized these worlds less. In the end I look for a bit of fault in myself too. Maybe I got too hungry. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You're not missing anything. In VR it's kinda rough at the moment.

13. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

In VR (at least, cannot tell for 2d display) the water deposit on windshield, being it rain or spray, does not actually limit visibility.
    You can live with or without wipers no issue.
    The visibility issue is only related to the actual spray fogging your view, so in case of driving behind and slightly out of car draft, like in my video, there is no spray thrown by the other car's wheels facing towards me, therefore there is also much less spray and much more visibility.
    As soon as you overcome a certain threshold of overlapping with car in front, then the spray magically gets wider and visibility decreases drastically. Please check my video above at timestamp 00:55 - 00:57.

14. Marc Collins

The lack of need for wipers is the same in 2D. I suspect this is a temporary measure while the main spray improvements are worked on. There are still a few stray vehicles with "normal" wind screen drops, but if we recall, many people complained about those, too. The team is improving all aspects of this within the limits of the ME and their own resources.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I wonder if there are plans to expand the "Street cars" class. Reminds me of the old Gran Turismo days where i enjoyed driving regular cars on racing circuits, and it feels odd to have a whole category with the plural "cars", and have just one model to choose from.
    20240423173148_1.jpg

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

It was only part 1

17. Marc Collins

Every class that isn't a fully-licensed series is always potential for additions...free or DLC.

But even the best "trackable" road cars (unmodified) can barely last a few laps on a real track in race conditions, so it's more of a novelty.

(In a sim versus a fantasy console game...)

18. zzigg

zzigg New Member AMS2 Club Member

if we have this car with superV8 specs..............

• Like Like x 1
  19. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Honestly AMS2 is too good of a simulator to waste development time with street cars. They're nice yeah, but I'd rather have that manpower diverted to literally anything else. We already have Assetto Corsa and GT7 to scratch the road car itch and I don't think AMS2 need to try and replicate that.

• Agree Agree x 28
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  20. Chillblast

Chillblast Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm in complete agreement with this. if you want streetcar racing you can't beat AC. it has some of if, not the best streetcar racing experience in any sim.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1