Grass. I just don't understand it. Help.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Squirrel_SA, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I wanted to show that one can get back on track easily. I don't get why you are so upset about this. Stay on track if you think grass is too slippery. I do not want Reiza to waste time to simulate driving physics on grass.

Edit: I do not want Reiza to waste time on it because I already consider it realistic (enough).

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. muzarati

muzarati Member

Realistic in the wet...maybe, in the dry...no!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Watch an F1 car driving through grass, it’s not hard and not easy. That’s how I see AMS2 grass to be like. I don’t really understand your issue since the grass is good enough IMO

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Check out Pato O'wards recovery from his spin at just after the 2 minute mark. His car gets unsettled either by the grass or the kerb, it is super close so for the sake of acting in good faith let's assume it's the kerb. He then went through almost the full length of the gravel trap getting rid of most of his speed, though still heading towards the wall.

IMG_20240516_005603_942.jpg

Here you can see him doing what you'd expect him to do. Turn sharp left to try and avoid the wall, bare in mind this still at relatively low speed with very little throttle application keeping the RPM as low as possible.

IMG_20240516_005306_385.jpg

At around 2:08, despite this happening at a low speed with little throttle application Pato has to go FULL opposite lock to keep control of his car.

IMG_20240516_011436_227.jpg

At 8:11 is when he finally stops counter-steering, that is (once again acting in good faith) 3 seconds of counter-steering because of a low speed slide in the grass with little throttle application.

Then you can see him quickly flick the wheel to the left again to avoid the barrier before once again counter-steering to the right.

IMG_20240516_013130_745.jpg

Right before he reaches the escape road he straightens his wheel out. I personally believe that he straightened it out right before because he knows that any unwanted slide will stop the second he reaches said escape road. However it is also possible that he simply didn't need to counter-steer any more as he had already settled the car, so let's say the latter is the case.

IMG_20240516_014013_230.jpg

He still keeps the same throttle application (though definitely a bit more than earlier) and then right around as his front wheels leaves the escape road he starts to really accelerate, knowing that the rear wheels are on the escape road and that he won't have to make any major steering adjustments to get back on track.

IMG_20240516_014759_264.jpg

However Pato gets a bit impatient and continues to accelerate even as his rear tires hit the grass. He's able to mostly get away with it due to the patch of grass being fairly short and his car being settled with the wheel pointing straight. Right around the time he enters back onto the track he looses grip again and has to quickly let off the gas and counter-steer to the left to make sure car doesn't go back into the grass.

What I see in this video is very similar to my experince in AMS 2, maybe Pato is getting away with sharper steering movements but that's really it. And even then, it's hard to determine whether that's because he has a lot of experince with the car or that IRL grass is more forgiving than AMS 2 grass (I say it's a bit of both).

I think it's true that AMS 2's grass is less forgiving than it is IRL, but you still have to use the same techniques that real racing drivers do to get off of the grass without causing more problems. Be careful with the accelerator and be patient, only floor it when you know that all 4 wheels are back on the track.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. muzarati

muzarati Member

Correct!

6. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Just stay on the tarmac. This is not an off road game. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member