Automobilista 2 May 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 31, 2024.

1. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If I could make any critism about AMS 2 since I joined the PC, the biggest one would be the lack of new base-game content. So it makes me very happy to see some cars that could easily be shoved into an "Audi booster pack" for $5.99 USD instead being free base-game content.

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Member

Awesome stuff! Looking forward to the 2 new DLC‘s, I will buy them at the release!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Suffstress

Suffstress New Member

Super happy to hear that the forgiving tire model is being looked at more. I definitely understand the sentiment that racecars are designed to be driveable, and that tires are far more alive and dynamic around and over the edge than certain major multiplayer simulators with subscription business models would lead you to believe, but I've always felt like (and as far as I can tell most people who know what they're talking about agreed with me) AMS2 goes just as far or more in the opposite direction, and needed bringing somewhat more in line with middle ground sims like AMS1, ACC, Rf2, and R3E, albeit obviously there is a lot of room in that middle ground for sims to have their differences

I honestly think that it's the biggest thing holding back the AMS2 experience as a whole at this point, and I really, really hope that this update does what it seems like it will, even if it's may still be something that needs further refinement down the road. Just driving the new 2024 stock car in the current version and being able to actually make the front end give up and slide like it should when abusing it with way too much steering input felt like a miracle on its own, but obviously that's just one detail of many

I really just want to be able to feel like anything I learn in AMS2 can transfer to other sims or line up with what I see real world drivers doing at all, and up to now I've never felt that way. The driving style required to be fast in AMS2 has always been, frankly, deranged, and the fact that you guys seem to be trying to nail down and solve the roots of that problem is very good

The changes to the racing line, especially with rain, are super exciting too. I barely use the weather system in AMS2 because for a long time it's felt pretty underdeveloped, especially with AI, but these updates look like they could make driving in the wet way more enjoyable, and hopefully racing AI in changing conditions will be more reliable as well eventually

And, of course, endurance racing is my favorite thing in the world and Road Atlanta is an incredible circuit, so I'm very happy to see it showing up. Hopefully the increased grid size will be workable soon on top of everything else so we can all enjoy the true Petit Le Mans experience with far too many cars on far too small a track. Or maybe I'd just run it with 50 Caddies so I could hear that bump start opening a portal to hell as many times as I want, who knows :p

• Like Like x 3
  4. Djin

Djin Member

Great stuff but hopefully Reiza can also improve the FFB with flat spots, those jolts in the steering wheel during long corners feel super weird.

Last edited: May 31, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. madeinbrazil140

madeinbrazil140 New Member

Nice one! thank you! but Reiza loook for game modes too, try to do something top 10 inverted like formula 2 sprint and feature races.

PS: The Default Custom Championship has bug, it freezes my other championships

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Gabriel S. Almeida

Gabriel S. Almeida New Member

Great work guys! Excited to see it in full release!

7. Beezer215

Beezer215 Member

I'm lifting off the bag right now. Completely off the bag.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Mikuri

Mikuri New Member

What about the Multiplayer experience?
    New cars, updated physics and Road Atlanta is pretty cool, don't get me wrong, but playing this content would actually be way more fun with friends.
    List of problems for exemple: Reddit - Dive into anything

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Remember that this is only part 1. Let’s see what part 2 has to offer

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. racezilla

racezilla Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the answer. I just wanted to voice my experience and for me "evaporation" doesn't really occur. What I experience is that the flatspotted tire gets less lateral grip, which is not what I expect, so for example I get understeer when leaning on the front flatspotted tire as opposed to the other side. Maybe the tire drops down to the tread height of the flat spot and it continues to wear with the rest of the tread (and therefore the flatspot never evaporates)
    The way the tire is modelled makes sense intuitively but what I don't get is why flat spots wear tires so much (considering that is should be an average of 22 segments) and affect lateral grip when I expect it to only affect the probability to lock up again, together with wheel vibrations.

12. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

A flatspot affects the contact patch of a tire running over the road surface, it actually takes away effective area that can adhere to that surface again and again and again when rolling, so it also affects your grip (as a whole actually). The vibrations don't make it particularly more nice either :D

The rest of the tire is fine but the HUD takes the most worn out point into account aswell.

"Evaporating" especially a heavy flatspot is really, really difficult, it's a substantial gradient vs. the intact tread area around the tire, so especially when it has bitten a bit deeper into the tire you're most likely stuck with it for a long, long time.

In some rare cases you can also get a puncture actually which will affect handling aswell obviously - this is a borderline rare case though and deliberately hugely tolerant because the feature isn't dialed in.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. kingkoenig

kingkoenig Active Member

The big news for me is Road Atlanta, only available so far as an (excellent) Assetto Corsa mod. A terrific track!

Hopefully, Mosport is one of the other two new tracks.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. Wilfrandy Ramirez

Wilfrandy Ramirez New Member

Looks like 1.6 is going to be huge. Keep it going guys. I am curious about something tho, is the AI going to use different compounds during the race? Like mandatory tire compound changes

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Xamantu

Xamantu New Member

Great stuff! Now that we're getting an IMSA track pack, any chance Daytona will receive the updated Le Mans chicane with blue/yellow kerbs? :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Killer as always, thanks Reiza! Now back to racing :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. madleecher1985

madleecher1985 Member AMS2 Club Member

nice facts ... when will it release ?

Will there be more German racetracks to follow? I'm thinking of the following

Oschersleben
    Norisring
    Lausitzring
    Sachsenring

• Optimistic Optimistic x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. R_B3CK3R

R_B3CK3R New Member

We will finally have the light indicating P2P!

Great update overall!

19. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Soon;):whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

dudes!
    Very nice. Previews of the new windshield and smoke effects look sweet.

I was hoping for more car brands to fill in the gaps of some classes. Very good news all around.

Ui update? Heck yeah, i didn't think we were to close to that yet but it is also something i have been looking forward to. More FFB options / sliders for different effects would have been on my wishlist for the ui update and the possibility to have a couple different custom files we can switch without having to restart the game>

Nice progress, these dev updates are great

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1