Automobilista 2 May 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Each to their own; to me they're all lines drawn on a flat piece of sand. As bad as modern Silverstone.

My 8 race Reiza GTP will be something like Kyalami, Sebring, Spa, Red Bull Ring, Le Mans, Interlagos, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Is that meant ironically or honestly? (These are ingame shots :D )

• Funny Funny x 9
  3. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

Ironically ofc - just complimenting the work of the shaders and modelling teams (assuming they are separate and distinct)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SparksV

SparksV New Member

I am on my knees praying for that Ferrari 296 to be in a future Endurance Pack Pt3 or Ferrari Pack

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  5. SunBro

SunBro Active Member

Yeah i wouldn't get my hopes up for ferrari license.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Few clarifications regarding comments on recent pages & the latest Alpine announcement:

1- There is no release date for AMS2 v1.6 outside the deliberately loose target of Summer 2024 (or Winter for those of us in the Southern hemisphere) - that goes all the way to mid-September, and I´m fairly confident we will make that by some margin.

2- Although I personally feel that proposing schedules are a sign of respect for users who have bought a game that is meant to be developed over time, after last year´s final update I´ve finally smarten up to the fact that despite the best intentions announcing these estimated schedules cause more harm than good in every way, be it the quality of the update, overall user satisfaction and indeed the well being of myself and the team - so we just won´t do it anymore outside these very broad terms.

3- If by any chance we don´t make it even in those broad terms (which again I don´t see happening for v1.6 at least), then it´s surely for good reason. While certainly best avoided, proposed schedules be it for game updates or dev update articles are not binding commitments nor promises; while you can certainly enquire for further updates and we may give when we think we have an answer worth giving, such delays really don´t warrant anyone´s indignation.

4- Licensing deals might be announced out of the blue but that doesn´t mean they happened overnight; the time span between an initial licensing conversation and a deal being signed for it can and has taken anywhere from 5 days to 5 years; the Alpine conversation actually predates IMSA´s and the fact we´ll have the A424 in V1.6 but not some other prototypes racing in this year´s championship is not a sign one deal has been favoured over the other, much less that further deals won´t happen over time.

Just as an additional side note regarding comments about our "time management skills", while we have earned all the jokes and memes in the world about it after countless missed release schedules, its fair pointing out difficulties predicting schedules (whch obviously we kinda suck at) is not the same as difficulties making best use of the time - efficiency is absolutely one of our key attributes and is one that bigger studios would pay many millions for (and some have tried). So let´s give credit where it´s due not to myself per se, but a team of extremely hard working and commited developers who have been working flat out for the best part of the last five years - it would take anyone else at least two years to deliver the sort of leap we are pushing to deliver with V1.6 in little over eight months (or four if counted solely from the last update release) and it would almost certainly be sold as a new game. If one manages to condense two years of development work into eight or nine months and then delivers that as a free game update to a game originally released four years ago, the focus really shouldn´t be on whether or not we first estimated it would take about seven months ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2024
    • Winner x 84
    • Like x 36
    • Friendly x 13
    • Informative x 9
    • Agree x 7
  7. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

Thank you for the update

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. BobbyB

BobbyB Member

You heard it from him! Mid September everybody!

• Funny Funny x 16
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

I read it as October with some margin

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Oh you of little faith :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 39
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

Just having a bit of fun :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

The 1.6 hype just got turned up to 11.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Turtlewax

Turtlewax Not So New Member

I honestly love the fact that updates aren't rushed. So many AAA games these days have strict deadlines to meet which usually results in a broken game. Their solution? Release now and fix it over time. It's such a breath of fresh air to see a company like Reiza be able to work at their own pace and release the update when they feel it is ready. I'm as excited as the next guy for 1.6, but the way things are done around here is honestly the way game development should be. Thank you Reiza for delivering good solid products.

• Agree Agree x 22
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. The_Neo_One

The_Neo_One AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

I've had no clue mate:eek:. Well, I guess this will make the process easier:D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

I'm very much for the "I appreciate knowing the current plan and don't mind if it's delayed as long as I'm told" but I do get that in this day and age saying "we're currently aiming for X" seems to get taken as a binding promise by people.

And definitely appreciate that there are games out there which release every year with fewer updates in.

Anyway, ultimately, we just want to give you guys some money for this new content you've been working on! Especially this latest beauty... please some sound clips when it's preview-able!

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

AMS2 is already a huge vast improvement over pCARS2. Raceable AI, custom AI, custom championships, custom grids, livery packs, vast improvement with the tire model, rain driving, real weather implementation. It goes on and on.

Take your time Reiza. You guys are the best.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In my mind thats the major strenght of AMS2 - the game doesnt start from zero content wise every year. Rather, content accumulates and can be cross used.

In a Codies F1 game one year you have the historic F1 cars, the next year you dont. Instead you have supercars. But what I want is to have everything in the same sim together.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. RockettSally

RockettSally The Average AMS2 enjoyer

Oh how this is absolutely true. Reiza has (I think) a tenth of what other big studios have in staff and deliver things that are head and shoulders with the competition (I'd argue even better considering the FM"8" fiasco).

We are all very apprehensive of the v1.6 and given how passionate (to a harmful degree sometimes) the fan base is about the genre and product, it's natural that speculations run amok - mostly by those who don't know how software development works.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

What's wrong with Football Manager 2008? It's one of the best FM's. :oops:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 4
  20. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

The ball physics are "off", way too slidey...
    It should be more like PES, which is widely regarded as the benchmark for the wider genre.
    Football Manager is football-cade at best.
    These views I hold I no way because PES is an older franchise and I was successfully duped into believing that by some miracle the entire physics model was 1-to-1 ported over from reality itself, therefor anything that deviates even modestly from this benchmark can logically be considered "wrong".
    ...even though somewhere down the road the developers of that benchmark released other titles that are pretty well a 180° departure from their norm, but with "clever" reasoning gymnastics I made it make sense, and fought everyone along the way...
    For an incredibly rigid hierarchical order of things, arranged to my subjective personal preferences I deem to far outweigh logic, reason and reality itself.

Regards, AC fanbo.. I mean PES fanboy?! Hehe... :D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.