Automobilista 2 May 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

...and this is how kart tires model is born in AMS1....

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Djin

Djin Active Member

Man, I'm really tired of those childish and endless arguments about X being better than Y. Amazing to see how some people feel the need to criticize other sims just for the sake of it. AMS2 is my favorite sim, but I'm a sim racing fan above all else, and I'll drive anything as long as it feels good. Having other amazing sims out there seems to ruin the fun for some shills... Weird... I always thought that having healthy competition between sims elevates the quality level. Can't wait for 1.6 but also AC:EVO, I'll play both because why not ? :p

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
    • Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Jonty Wells

Jonty Wells Member

While I totally get where you are coming from on this and feel the same myself, I would point out that AMS2 has come in for an insane level of criticism from online contributors and haters in forums. So I can understand a degree of touchiness and pushback from fans of the sim.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  4. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

Yeah I feel like, for no real reason, it's treated as less of a sim, despite having a full, continuous tyre model (rather than e.g. the 5-point brush model).

On an unrelated note your M1 Procar skinpack looks incredible!!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Absolutely, but I also think it's good to try to avoid critisms that are more low-hanging fruit because as AMS 2 fans we know how it feels how it feels to be bashed over the head with these things.

BUT I think there are a lot of things that that these studios should get criticized for that that they really dont get enough flack for. The biggest for me being that Kunos chose the name AC Evo, despite one of AC's best mods sharing the exact same name. They may legally have the right, but morally it is dubious at best. It's a slap to the face of what Alex Mail has done for AC as he's completely transformed it into a game people actually want to come back to outside of trying new mods. It shows the amount of care and respect Kunos has for its community.

I will not be purchasing AC Evo, because I already have it. I will not let what quite possibly is the best mod in simracing history be forgotten. This is the worst thing a dev team has done to a community since Iracing shutdown the OWR 07 mod which forever pushed Nr2003 physics modding underground, and just like Iracing it seems like the general community is letting them get away with it. Sigh.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Djin

Djin Active Member

I know! As a fan of AMS 2 myself, it pisses me off as well, even though I believe fair criticism is always welcome, like the feedback from Nils Naujoks.

Exactly !

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Personally I couldn't give a flying **** what people say about this sim.
    It drives realistically for me, performs superb in vr, and I'm sure 1.6 will only reinforce my views. Bring it on.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. depapier

depapier Member

I'm begging the Reiza studio to start cutting up their wonderful dev blogs into smaller posts and post those more often. There is a lot of interest in the game but it fades between updates and this is a great pity. Reading those dev updates is always interesting, but they are also always really big and they could be utilized much better to show the game off to wider audience if they were smaller and more frequently published.

On the topic since GT7 update was discussed, I can say that it is quite fun, but not even remotely as lively as Iracing which itself is not even remotely as lively in FFB as AMS2. The main thing I feel while playing GT7 is how much more AMS2 provides to the players when it comes to the visceral feel of racing. There is of course a whole car collecting and upgrading game in GT7 but it is quite grindy and you tend to skip around all its nice parts. The online racing however is.. underwhelming. Net code works well, there's plenty of people to race with, but there's just a few fixed races, often with bizarre track and car combinations like this week.
    Now the ffb and physics themselves did receive a good upgrade and I think it's quite good, but the simcade aspect is that the game is still supposed to be working well with controllers so some things feel generic - like most gt 3 cars, while others appear to be simplified - for instance aero feels like a percentage of grip added to the car which results in some bizarre results as cars that are not formula like open wheelers stick to the road excessively. The new update made things much more interesting and less under steery, but you still have kind of easy mode things like a lack of power oversteer from corners. In fact power oversteer is limited in this game artificially when you over rev the engine - if you're redlining at the current gear, the engine will just start skipping and that's on every car, even those that aren't supposed to have rev limiters. This way no power oversteer happens, which I find quite funny. There's a lot more to iron out with the new update but overall the issues with GT7 are really not in the way cars handle, but more how everything else around the cars is simplified. As a bonus issue GT7 uses some really weird lens for the camera in VR which flattens things and some tracks with dramatic changes in elevation become a little crazy as smaller hills become insanely steep.
    Overall while GT7 is fun, it's own limitations as a game make it's driving experience pale in comparison with AMS2. Now if only I could make the wonderful PSVR2 headset work well with AMS2....

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

The problem is that Renato does everything. IMO better with one big one every few months or maybe they get someone who can write them

10. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

I’d rather wait more and savour the extended updates written by the man himself once they pop in the forum. Nowadays is so rare to not have communication made via PR style marketing departments that is refreshing to have Reiza CEO providing direct communication in thoughtful, detailed an earnestly and honest way directly to us. This is for me one of the greatest assets from Reiza, this tight knit community feel and attention to us core customers. Very few companies do this nowadays, and I like to be happily surprised once a dev update pops in this forum, it’s like unwrapping Christmas gift. I savour reading the thoughtful dev update info with my coffee cup in the same way my grandpa used to do with his morning newspaper. This feeling for me it’s great and I wish it stays like this.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  11. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Welcome to the difference between a PC sim and console-based racing games. Both are fun and clearly the "game" is more vastly popular, but they are not the same thing and not trying to be the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. depapier

depapier Member

That's indeed a problem, but steamdb charts show that AMS2 receives plenty of interest when actual updates come out and then crazy churn to usual numbers of those of us for whom its the main game. If they want to reach new audience (and there's a lot of those people who don't know what they're missing) they should at least try to be in the news more often, smaller dev blogs are one certain way to achieve that. The actual game update schedule would also go way easier since players would be sure of the game's future rather than come in to check out what's new once in a while. This isn't really more work than on one large post, just better organized.

Long blog posts with a lot of info at once are fun and all, but that's something that keeps this game a bit of a secret from most people, since it pops up now and then, but disappears. And I'd love it not to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. achus59

achus59 New Member

:p:p top post

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. depapier

depapier Member

Nothing to do with the console - ACC works perfectly fine on PS5 as does World Of Outlaws (a damn fine game this one, pity its not on PC and has no vr). GT7 has grown a massive audience (larger monthly active player base than iracing) and for many it's the main reason to buy the console. All I'm saying is that it's handling model is pretty good if limited to be capable of handling on a gamepad, but most of what's simplified about GT7 are the multiplayer, championships, basically all the racing stuff. There's not a whole lot of reasons for it If I'm honest, just a strange choice of the devs. Lots of players are asking for more complicated stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jonty Wells

Jonty Wells Member

Thanks it took a lot of time. I keep thinking about returning to.it and trying to make all the optional skins selectable like the recent skin packs. Would also be good to.add some helmets and racing suits and gloves but life keeps getting in the way.

Funnily enough, although that skinpack was done exclusively for AMS2 I used AC to verify changes etc because one of the models in AC is compatible and it loads changes so much quicker than AMS2 where you have to restart the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

I don't think dev blogs are what gains the sim new users. The "news" you're referring to are mainly sim racing channels and forums, and in these AMS2 is already known. What does interest people is how the sim actually develops, that's why they come back in high numbers whenever a game update is released. Now, these you need some promo for, but the long dev blogs do that just fine.

A big PR push for AMS2 would be something different, but the platforms you'd do that on would be X and YouTube. I'm also not sure it's worthwhile currently - there should be a push for 1.6 definitely, but we're still a couple weeks away from that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Been playing WoO for quite a while now and it is a damn shame iRacing decided to just cut the PC player base out especially since the previous games made by the devs before iR took over were on PC too. On the platform note i wonder if AMS2 will ever come to consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  20. depapier

depapier Member

No, it's exactly how it works in the cheap manner. The reason I keep insisting is that I literally work in PR in game dev and that's how you do it on the cheap - provide info content which allows the game to stay in the news, on youtube, etc. Ads and socom push is another, usually more expensive matter. I've been playing AMS2 since it came out and honestly see only two problems with it - the absence of visibility being one. I'd absolutely love to see more people know about this game.

Agreed! Absolutely bonkers to me how that game is just left on consoles while it's amazing on the wheel (settings aren't great tho) and looks good as well. It's not even that well known on console.
    And I'd love to see AMS2 on consoles as well.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.