Automobilista 2 May 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

You probably mean release candidate since they are releasing beta updates with updated physics :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

They already release beta updates, there are quite a few people with paddock club/beta access, releasing a beta to the general public would do more harm then good as well tbh

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

It's not going to happen. In beta, not even half the cars are truly finished, and even those that are could still be changed again if they find another way to improve - which has been the case several times through this dev cycle. Simultaneously, several other areas of the game are getting an overhaul, including things quite directly connected to the driving experience. In order to fit the new physics into public release, you would have to isolate these changes from all the others, create a separate build that includes just these and then still force-reset everyone's default setups (for every car) because the old defaults are going to lead to some funky results.

You might as well imagine them creating a wedding cake with several layers. Just because parts of the base are close to finished, no one would chop them off and serve them to the wedding guests as preparation for the wedding cake about to come :D

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

An update is never late. Nor it's early; It arrives precisely when the developers means to. One does not simply release a patch. The right patch on an unexpected day can make all the difference in the world. Wake up, wake up, and smell the gasoline.

If they release a release candidate now it only leads to 'Ahhh' than 'Ohhh.'
    Ahh is never good. Ohhh is good.

• Like x 6
    • Funny x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
  5. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

V1.6 driving-wise is a monumental step forward and a rather radical departure from how the game has ever felt before, but at the same time still retaining a lot of what I can only assume appealed to the people still playing in the first place, it’s hard to explain.

Once released it should hype itself, then again the sim racing community never ceases to amaze me and some will say: “Well, you know, I prefered V1.0” or “The cars are not floaty enough”, It WILL happen :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. kivipallur1

kivipallur1 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

And I know one guy who will say that: "Yeah, its somewhat better but cars are still floaty."

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

100%. It'll be some sim racer who also happens to be a GT3 driver who will play for 20 minutes and complain about this. Then go back to iRacing with its mad peaky tires.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Yeah…he’ll probably say that AMS2 is too forgiving, car behaviour is too predictable, this can’t be realistic :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

No clue who will say what, and it does not particularly matter either. No need to go on a witch hunt :)

Hopefully V1.6 appeals to and surprises many AMS 2 owners who perhaps have not played in a while as much as it seems to have done to people in the beta, and draws in a new crowd while at it.

Together with the new content, I think it should be quite an appealing proposition.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Dicra

Concerning "too forgiving", I'm pretty sure this very thing in particular won't be what anyone will be complaining about :p

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  11. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I never listened much in O-Level Geography, but I don't think it's summer in Brazil. Unless it's always summer in Brazil, in which case it is ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Djin

Djin Active Member

By the sounds of it, it looks like version 1.6 won’t be released in September, and that’s fine with me. If there’s one update that needs to be done right, it’s this one. I’m very excited to experience the new physics and content, but I can wait. There will be plenty of new games next month to make the wait easier

13. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You are correct, when certain elements are adjusted it can throw others way out of wack leading to people drawing the wrong conclusions about the way things are or where the issue lies. A physics update can make the AI too slow or too fast compared to the player, a livetrack update can make tires wear more/less than what they're supposed to and that's really just the tip of the iceberg.

While the I know vast majority of non-Paddock Club would do their best to be understanding and patient, not everyone is gonna do that, many for perfectly reasonable and rational reasons. Running public releases like how they currently run beta releases would almost certainly lead to some folks who are willing to give AMS 2 "one final shot" frustrated and disappointed . If despite their own biases and frustrations with Reiza they're STILL willing to give 1.6 a shot, then they deserve the best version of 1.6 Reiza can deliver.

• Like Like x 2
  14. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

Thanks for the update - Sounds like a few month more of waiting time

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dicra

That's not something that can be grasped from my post. I personally am pretty sure physics work will not be the limiting factor for this release (maybe indirectly, depending on how much time they want to invest into perfecting AI calibration). Please be aware that me saying "not even half the cars are truly finished" doesn't mean that all the others haven't seen any work at all - quite the contrary in fact.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Creative x 1
  16. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I've seen many interviews with real life racing drivers over the years, I don't think I've ever heard any real driver complain that a car is too easy to drive, or that they wish the car was more difficult to drive, or that they wish the car had less grip and want the car to slide more and be more unpredictable.
    Imo this idea that some sim racers have that in order to be realistic cars need to have zero grip and be super difficult to drive is total non-sense.

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

To those in the beta - would you say the new 1.6 cars are more fun?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

To echo one of my favorite quotes: "Definitely maybe." :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Abso-****ing-lutely.

The ones I liked before are usually more fun. And there are some that were a little out of shape for some time, but are super fun to drive in the current Beta.

Right now I can't really recall any cars that are less fun to drive than before, but with adjustments still happening for most vehicles to some degree I'm not fully up to date on all vehicles for obvious reasons, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. kivipallur1

kivipallur1 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Or...
    edit: dam, gif didn't work
    upload_2024-8-16_17-1-20.png
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.