Automobilista 2 May 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stealthradek

stealthradek Smooth operatooooooor AMS2 Club Member

My dream scenario is that it'll be possible to click on the timeline and the game would show "loading" and in the background the live track would be simulated as fast as possible and once loaded - skip to that moment.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you misunderstood. They didn't mean a vote for a feature change or wish directed at Reiza. They meant the in-game multiplayer lobby votes for kicking a player.

Unless I misunderstood.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Right now the encoding of data by the engine does not allow that. It was mentioned it requires a pretty deep re-coding of basic functionalities in the engine therefore it is highly unlikely or anyway far in time

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Majestic

Majestic Member

Yes!!

5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I think there are programs you can run using the detracted server tool to kick people, but I’m not 100% sure

6. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Both of these things are top of my list, especially not being able to save presets and settings being copied from last joined session.

As for the kicking, I would much rather host just have the power to kick people. Anyone can host a game and anyone who abuses that power will find themselves racing alone pretty quickly.

There are a multitude of ways to troll people and if someone chooses kicking people from their server as their weapon of choice, let's be honest, it's preferable to ramming or obstructing the track intentionally etc.

Bottom line, giving hosts the power to kick without consensus wouldn't make things worse. Most of the times I've actually had to kick people have had nothing to do with bad behaviour but server glitches or other problems.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BobbyB

BobbyB Member

Oooo

8. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

Just a gentle reminder to set up your screen distances properly - mine were out of whack, i fixed them this afternoon and the game is so much better! and in doing so i could see so much better - I realised that the watch tower at Watkins Glen displays your laptime (just after the pits, big black tower with red numbers on) on Test Day mode. I had no idea it did this and it makes it super immersive! Is there anything like this on other tracks that I've missed?

• Informative Informative x 5
  9. Bealdor

Bealdor Member

I'm pretty sure the tower at Indianapolis and the Michelin "tower" at Le Mans are functional as well. They already were in PCARS 2.

10. ang3l

ang3l New Member

With this new set of updates I just wish there was an actual modern low-powered, high-downforce open wheel in the game, a la F4 in IRacing. The Formula Inter is too slow and clunky, the F3's are above that power range and are very old, even a generic model would be nice to fill that niche.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

F4 would be nice, F2 would be a nice addition too.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

Just here to find out what I'll be racing this winter.

13. Kartu14

Kartu14 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

F5, F5, F5, nothing today...
    So time to F5 tomorrow...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  14. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

All the keycap manufacturers must be happy every time a dev update is expected

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Fatih

Fatih Active Member

that would be a dream!! I am currently driving the RSS4 and its sooo nice to drive!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis Active Member

Yes, a bar with lap markers also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I wonder what actually happens when you save a replay though - it takes a few seconds, as if it's running through simulating the race but just with the maths/numbers.

18. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

I'd tell you a secret joke but it's been *REDACTED*.
    Thank you, I'm here *REDACTED*

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. depapier

depapier Member

Not to beg beta testers but Im really itching to know if 1.6 will be able to address three different (imho) issues that people who complain about Ams2 being slidy (and people who defend it complain about eg iracing being peaky) mix up as one problem. First one being that default ffb seems to be clogged by mid range noise (pardon the musical metonym) that seems to be coming from tires (at least it's similar to unfiltered signal in simhub telemetry that can be fixed by setting a threshold), which in turn makes it more difficult to discern the torque and stiffness, softness of the wheel reflecting the weight transfer between forward and back wheels. People usually say it feels like driving on a cloud and then the car slides. Imho it's this noise that obscures perfectly well transmitted information. This can be alleviated significantly by some of the recent custom ffb found here on the forums in relevant topic, but it remains relatively obscure among players, so I wonder if either those will be shipped with the update or default ones fixed up in similar fashion. Although it still feels like the stiff/soft wheel feel telegraphing bite/slide could be more pronounced.

Another thing I'm of course curious about are the gt3s and similar cars behaviour. Again the common complaint is that AMS 2 versions are slidy, but imho their slip angle and slidiness is no different from other games. What does feel different is how permissive the range of the tire bite is. Gt3sand GTE are interesting because the driving style they require prohibits effectively tapping the brake endlessly mid turn, because they have a limited range at which mechanical grip is effective. And Ams2 does indeed permit tuning the wheel without going off the road mid turn a lot more than every other GT3 simulation. It's curious cause GT3 gen 2 Merc and BMW sort of have this in their ffb, although the limits are sort of weaker, and yet one can sense that this is the type of car to be driven with brakes applied before, not during the turn, that it's more rigid and does not turn on a dime. But I wouldnt say it's slidiness. It's more like the front wheels lack resistance, as if they were not on the ground. So I wonder if that limit to the extent to which wheels can be turned with effect of turning the car is more strongly pronounced.

And the third thing that people call slidiness is something like length of permissive drift without punishment for errors. Again, I don't think this should be called slidiness. Formula vintage 1-2 are some of my fav cars in the game, and their championships probably improved my skills in general the most. These cars are supposed to be slid into the turn, slid wholesale, not just the back. It's wonderful! But it does make me wonder why there is seemingly no punishment during the 4 wheel drift itself, like it can go on as long as I want (unless I encounter the grass). Again, it seems like the limit to what is permitted and what isn't isnt felt too much, but in case of these cars there really isn't a limit to drift. In Ams2 the poweroversteer in those older formulas is modelled brilliantly and can catch the player out easily, which teaches that over revving and not paying attention to gears does to the car. But I still feel it could be better and the drift is also impacted by the first issue of ffb being unclear sometimes in terms of what is up with front. That is the difference on the feel between wheels in a four wheel drift and wheels firmly driving is very slim. So I wonder whether the handling of these cars has changed, since I'll probably jump into those first thing.

Anyway, I'm just thinking aloud, please don't feel like it's a call to disclose the info about the closed beta. But these are my hopes, though not the biggest about the upcoming update.

Ok, back to trying to learn 71 nords in vintage formulas.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  20. pr07

pr07 Member

If that is in the realm of possibility, I would also hope for a F2 car or something similar, there is a huge gap between F3 and F1 that isn't well filled by any open wheeler in the game.

• Agree Agree x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.