Automobilista 2 May 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, May 31, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've waited a long time for these, patiently, and I have to say now the Gen 1 Vintage Formula cars are entirely wonderful imho and now tell me everything I need to push them and enjoy their unique capabilities. And the AI were much much better to race with safety wise. Thank you Reiza team, all of you, this is an incredible playground you have made for us. :)

• Like Like x 5
  2. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

Right. Korean streamer plays tekken with wheel as well.
    1497546427b0c229cf0ffa43999fec4155e7a059f3__mn74414__w486__h283__f8141841__Ym201706__ANIGIF_1.gif

• Funny x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
  3. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

And he seems to be WHEELy good at it too !

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. Knell Rohan

Knell Rohan Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. depapier

depapier Member

Since these are my fav current cars, I'm curious if the ffb in 1.6 is fixed: default+ in current public version is unusable for them as it for some reason does not telegraph oversteer much, albeit it's ok in default and the various custom versions which turn down smoothing and damping. Also very curious to see whenever the update comes whether ai can now properly drift in these.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

I‘m wondering how this will come along!
    It‘s an interesting week for Simracing with this news, Racerooms graphic update (preview looks phenomenal on their instagram site!) and Rennsport teasing us with a new track (Jeddah) and car (Aston Martin GT3).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

The other day, I parked the car at Imola's Acque Minerali watching AI approach and going uphill. I've done this in both AMS2 and 'another sim' I think has the best AI.
    There is no comparision. In the 'other sim' the cars seem to be real, slow down, accelerate, slide a little and lock brakes from time to time.
    In AMS2, the cars look like they are following a line, don't 'appear' to slow down, rotate 'from the center' (the same problem our own car have?) and go uphill steady as a rock at the "same speed". They don't bounce, don't tilt, don't roll, just plain steady state. Not to be offensive, but toy car tracks come to my mind when I look at it.
    When close racing, one sim is credible, AMS2 is not. AI physics is not up to the job in AMS2.

A competitor is doing a survey among it's users, just to get priorities straight.
    Of course, they know what's missing (just like Reiza does what ASM2 needs) but they can attack the vectors that most influence users complains. That's a good way to go.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've been playing in them all day on various historic tracks as they are so much fun and I use the Default+ profile and can't say I have any complaints about what I experienced with it. It was the best it's ever been for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Siggi_Stoppschild

All this Multiplayer Vs. Singleplayer talk makes me feel like I need to add something to it.
    I am/was a singleplayer for most of my simracing time, I tried online racing a few times but I could not stick to it. So, LMU was released and since there is not so much to do offline and the AI is only good at bumping into me, I tried online racing and I‘m kinda hooked with it for the past week.
    On Sunday I raced LMP2 on Fuji and I raced against a guy for P4 or P5 for several laps and I believe I was the faster driver, but he stayed in front. We was very good at defending, opening the door for me in some corners, but therefor he got the better exits and got back his position. In the last lap, I made a small mistake and was on the gas to early, resulting in a small slide and he gained maybe half a second and at this point I just stick with my position. This was the best race I‘ve driven so far - no AI I know about can do this.
    And not to forget: We did not touch once and nobody of us ever left the track limits. It was epic!

• Like Like x 6
  10. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

I do think AMS2's AI gives away too much, avoiding inevitable colisions (by using "impossible" physics - lateral movements that would be impossible in a car, more soo when they are already at the limit, like cornering hard). LMU's AI is more natural to me, they hold they ground in a more natural way (agressive driving). But... yes, bumping takes it's toll (colisions physics are top notch, only surpassed by ACC)

11. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What is the other sim? Since you mentioned a survey, I take it's LMU you are referring to? I agree with you in that AMS2 AI can look awkward when monitoring it, specially over kerbs and bumps as they bounce way too much. But in LMU they look very awkward as well, with robotic movements that don't look too realistic. Iracing, AC and ironically GT7 all have much better and realistic moving/looking AI, but all of them bar maybe Iracing, have worse AI than both AMS2 and LMU (if you were refering to LMU as the "other sim"). The AI do take different lines on corners, Montreal last chicane is a great example how some take a tighter line than others, so ACC all follow the queue AI AMS2 is not.

Again I agree that AMS2 AI is not the best when watching them, but hyperbolic remarks like them looking like toys it's a bit much, when the reality is objectively different.

You are also saying the player car rotates from the center, which even in the public version is simply wrong, another hyperbole that I believe comes from the ME and I think the first years of AMS2, I hadn't played it then, so didn't go through that period. But it has absolutely no feeling of the cars rotating from the center at all right now.

So I don't think even when 1.6 releases you will be happy with the games handling if you feel all the cars rotate from the "center", because it concentrates more on the tires/thermodynamics and the limits within them, not on the overall "feel" of the sim so to say, its not gonna be a change that overrides the whole current behavior of the sim IMHO, it will enhanced it and make the limit more punishing/less easier to recover from.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TomLehockySVK

I can name three games where i have battles with AI like that lap after lap, after lap. But if i mention one people will be immediately responding with "but that is not a sim", they are sim-cade but still. And in those games i have such amazing battles with the AI that i did not ever touch the online mode in them even after clocking a total of several hundred hours in them total.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Siggi_Stoppschild

Please name them!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Kartu14

Kartu14 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Renato,
    It's Gamescom time now, please unleash the part 2 to dream along this week! :rolleyes:

15. TomLehockySVK

Okay here goes - SRX The Game, World of Outlaws: Dirt Racing, F1 22 / 23 . In these games i am having the best AI racing like .. ever ? And i have been playing racing games since i was like 8 years old.

Especially WoO now has me occupied the most as i got my F1 fill in the last 4 years of playing those games. Here you can see the AI and how i am fighting with them, this can really go on for laps at a time and this is not counting traffic being involved. In this video i use Chase Cam for showcase purposes and apologies for low bitrate, i lost the original high quality video.

Here is a second video showing the AI in a full race, lap traffic fighting included and in cockpit camera that i drive with.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I know what I’m going to say is something I should listen to, but this forum definitely needs to learn to have patience. IMO all the requests for a dev update are getting a bit annoying. I’m all for hyping and predicting stuff, but requesting stuff is getting annoying now IMO

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree about the last couple of years F1 games, excellent AI and more importantly, the overall flow of the races is very realistic.

Those videos of World of Outlaws look very impressive as well. A couple of questions though, do the AI make the occasional mistake/crash with each other's and the overall flow of the races are realistic, or its just the wheel to wheel against the player that is great?

18. TomLehockySVK

Even better - you can adjust how frequent the AI makes mistakes, or even turn it off completely. There is a separate menu where you can adjust % of AI difficulty, 70 - 120, realism of car-to-car contact has a slider, and this picture is specifically for AI, sliders for many things that allow you to adjust the AI racing experience perfectly. Here is what i am using in those videos.
    IMG_20240820_225627.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

That’s something which would be a nice addition to AMS2

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis Active Member

Sadly the wet performance is disabled at present, it changes nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.