Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

There are tons of great set-up resources for beginners online. Links have been posted in various places in the forum since forever. Here are a few:

Car Setup Science #1 - Race Car Setup Guide
    https://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/uploads/4/8/2/6/48261497/setupflowchart2.jpg
    5. Setups Archives - Virtual Racing School (VRS)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWSWQyqnLDu7tLWE9P35Qog6Z8_xb7l_g
    Reddit - Dive into anything

Just a small sample of stuff I think is well-crafted and sincere.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Actually if you want the best experience possible you'll want beta testers to find and report as many issues as possible so that those issues can be fixed before the update is released in the main public build. Nobody wants for something game-breaking to be found after the update makes it into the public build.
    At this point I think it's unlikely that any major issue will be found, we just have to let Reiza release the update when it's ready.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

These days you can probably just ask Chat-GPT for setup help.

Here's an example:

Question: I am trying to setup a race car. I am finding that the car has a lot of understeer in tight corners. What should I adjust to reduce this?

ChatGPT Answer:
    To reduce understeer in your race car during tight corners, you can make several adjustments:

1. Increase Front Grip:
      • Tire Pressure: Lower the front tire pressures slightly to increase grip.
      • Tire Compound: Use a softer compound for the front tires if allowed.
    2. Suspension Tuning:
      • Front Anti-Roll Bar: Reduce the stiffness of the front anti-roll bar to allow more body roll and increase front grip.
      • Rear Anti-Roll Bar: Increase the stiffness of the rear anti-roll bar to help balance the car.
      • Spring Rates: Consider softer front springs or stiffer rear springs.
    3. Weight Distribution:
      • Ballast: Move weight forward (if allowed) to increase front grip.
      • Fuel Load: Start with a fuller fuel tank, as it shifts weight forward.
    4. Alignment Settings:
      • Camber: Increase negative camber on the front wheels to improve cornering grip.
      • Toe: Adjust the front toe to a slight toe-out, which can enhance turn-in responsiveness.
    5. Diff Settings:
      • If you have an adjustable differential, consider increasing the preload or adjusting the ramp angles to improve traction on corner exit.
    6. Driving Technique:
      • Work on your braking and throttle application to avoid excessive understeer. Try to brake earlier and smoothly transition to the throttle.
    After making adjustments, it's crucial to test the car and fine-tune further based on your driving style and track conditions.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Good point. AI has now rendered the in-game "race engineer" redundant as it was not even as sophisticated as this.

However, if you actually want to understand what you are doing to some extent, and not just follow rote instructions, the links I posted above will be useful. If you are the type of person who follows navigation computer instructions without ever looking at the full map of where you are going or the the map of the region you are in so you have some clue about your whereabouts (i.e., about 98% of the population today), then just use ChatGPT ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Leen-q

Leen-q Member

That is why I do not download ready-made setups anymore, they do not fit your driving behavior and you do not learn anything from a setup. Suppose you have never made setups and you download a setup, but it still needs to be adjusted to your driving style. How are you going to do that if you have never delved into setup settings and what it does? I have delved deeply into it and gathered a lot of information and started playing with it, sometimes from a very low setting to a high one, to feel what it does exactly. That is how I have slowly developed setups to my driving style and I am still learning every day.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Bit of a late reply, sorry for that, I missed the message. Not entirely sure what you mean, I never felt many of the cars drove very similarly before (if that's what you meant.)

If it was: I feel like while most cars retained their personality, just the fact the slip angle thing has been much reduced does make some other aspects of some cars stand out more than before. Largely though, they do retain much of their previous characteristics, sometimes more toned down, sometimes more exaggerated because they often have to be driven somewhat differently in V1.6.

The differences get less with more modern cars, but I guess that could be expected, as compared to the past, more modern series are far more prescriptive in their design. It does not exactly promote diversity in the driving experience, but just diversity in who may or may not win a race.

Now I used the diversity word, I need to stop talking, things can only go downhill from now on.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Divit Beria

Divit Beria Prefer modern cars

Wondering when more previews are gonna come out on the channel. Been nearly 6 days and my appetite for 1.6 rises and rises :D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fatih

Fatih Active Member

Hope not so many and Pt. 3 will be released soon:)

9. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is not right. There is every reason to download a good set and adjust it instead of building from the ground up. In a world where the final tenth matter, what makes you think you as a novice builder and later as an experienced builder will be able to come up with a setup of same performance?

Even if you werent caring of the final tenth that much, youd still review others setups to see what they are doing differently.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I won’t expect P3 to be released this month

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wu!

But what if people just want to tinker about and create something all of their own and gain enjoyment from that? It's not right, they should change their ways?

12. Leen-q

Leen-q Member

Let's say you are comfortable with an understeer setup and you download a setup from someone who has more of an oversteer style. You know nothing about setup settings, what are you going to do to adjust the setup to your driving style? I think you are making it worse rather than better, but that is just my opinion

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

For people like me who don’t want to spend or have much time for playing with setups Chris Haye’s guide was always useful
    Google Image Result for https://preview.redd.it/jpebxpm5nrw11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=79f2616a3d59bbe3f3568991a7ee1c44b39c1512

As someone who is racing against AI only and wants to do a quick qualifying then get into the race I’d just like 2 or 3 decent and upto date default setups per car. They don’t have to be the quickest just fairly competitive if you were running the AI at 100%.

Then people with limited time and who really just want to race have a good starting point.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Scottsparkrider

Scottsparkrider Member

Talking of set-ups, is there an optimum tyre pressure range in AMS2. In ACC it's 26-27psi. I've no idea about AMS2

15. Mr. WeaZel

Mr. WeaZel New Member

" If you are 2 seconds off the pace in equal cars, the problem is the driver, not the setup."

I don't think I'm ready to deal with the car setup yet. ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Wu!

Tire temperature is far more important in V1.6, which obviously pressures have an influence on, but there are many other factors, if you let tire temps get away from you, you are going to have a pretty complicated time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Scottsparkrider

Scottsparkrider Member

So just concentrate on keeping them green?

18. Wu!

In V1.5 I could be within half a second of my personal best in TT, even while, eeeeh... less than sober, so my problems are double.

Just driving "correctly" sometimes gets me 1-1.5 seconds while the lap does not feel particularly quicker to me. Overdriving is in general not rewarded anymore, but at the same time, it can still feel "fast", it has not become a funeral procession.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wu!

Even when green, the diff between let's say 90 and 98 degrees can be a world of difference in how the car responds, things got a bit complicated... but I was told sim racers enjoy that ;)

You can feel it though when the tires start to let go, so you either back off a bit, or drive different lines, if possible (if you know you will have clear air, you can do softs and drive different lines, if you know there will be much traffic, you go for mediums because driving tire saving lines will be next to impossible.) Hence sometimes in V1.6 it is best to go for mediums in a race, or in extreme cases when track temp is crazy... hards, if different tire compounds are available.

First time I ever did it in a sim to be honest: "I need to drive differenty because...tires are going out of control" I can also safely say I do not find it easy, but it can be done.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.