Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

you mean something like this?

Quest3 is miles better than Valve index. However, you can gain some level of sharpness in AMS2 which is surprisingly effective by changing the values in the relevant graphics xml file in your Documents\Automobilista 2 folder from their defaults if you haven't already.

eg in my graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml file I have the following settings

<prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="1.100000" />
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.090000" />

With a bit of luck we get the promised setting in 1.6 that allows us to set the number of cars that are rendered BEHIND the player car so night racing becomes even better in terms of performance.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Scottsparkrider

Scottsparkrider Member

I went from a Quest 2 to a Pimax Crystal. The difference in clarity is massive. I use it for flight Sims as well as driving and it made a big difference to visual quality and AMS2 looks fantastic. You do need a chunky GPU to run a Crystal though. I've a 4080 and wouldn't want to have anything much lower than that.
    Even ACC, which has horrible vr implementation, looks decent due to the eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering. I hope AMS2 introduce dynamic foveated rendering to help with the poor night time optimisation the game currently has, especially in VR.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

wonderful, thanks Marc. Sadly that is not what the AI do according to @CrimsonEminence 's reply to me. How about at what point the attacking driver should abort and give the corner up to the guy ahead? As I understand it, it should be before the first point of turn in.

4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I remember having this discussion a while ago. DPI is LMP1.5 and P1 is LMP2.5

5. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this technology is not yet ready and is more of a loss of immersion than an advantage. But maybe in a few years:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

DPi is just a LMP2 with custom dampers, OEM styling, and OEM engine. They have much more in common with LMP2s than any of the LMP1s. When the class was first introduced depending on the track they struggled to beat LMP2s and in 2018 an Oreca piloted by CORE Autosports almost won the Weathertech Championship. Basically the DPi's at that time did well on bumpier tracks because of their custom dampening, but on smoother newly paved tracks the LMP2s were very competitive. CORE Autosports championship run is partly what led to the split between LMP2 and DPi. The OEMs were tired of being BoPed to the LMP2s which when DPi were introduced it was established that the LMP2s were the baseline that DPis would be BoPed to. In response IMSA added weight and reduced the power in the LMP2s to ensure DPi were the top class.

The Metaomoro AJRs were originally advertised as LMP2 performance on a much cheaper tube frame chassis, but when they started racing they struggled with beating even GT3 cars. Their pace now is in between LMP3 and LMP2, but that is due to having fewer regulations in place like allowing ABS, DRS, and more power.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Racinglegend1234

I was talking performance and not technology

8. Brett Nagle

I'd still argue that DPi is closer to LMP2 than saying it had LMP2 1.5 performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Racinglegend1234

LMP1.7 then

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Brett Nagle

:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. WizL94

WizL94 New Member

Thanks for the idea - I'm gonna try that too.
    I play both VR and 4K on a TV screen - but in VR my RTX 4070 (laptop) really struggels so I have to turn off grass and set shadows to low. On the 4K screen, I can basically max out the settings and have stable 60 FPS.
    Never underestimate the additional power VR demands.... :rolleyes:

12. WizL94

WizL94 New Member

It always feels strange to me that settings like those are not part of the standard in-game options. A slider for 'VR-sharpness' or something like that.

I tried the settings you mentioned before and they actually make a big difference. Sharper image but at the same time edges and shadows look even morve pixelated. Its not my cup of tea but I imagine a lot of people would prefer the sharper image (and have no idea this setting exists).

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. OnionJack

OnionJack New Member

About this lmp2 topic. Dont forget that last year lmp2 were turned down a bit so they dont race hypercars in WEC or IMSA. For example in 2023 in WEC their quali time was around 2:06 on spa. This year they were buffed a little in ELMS series and their quali time on spa is 2:01 which is comparable to this year hypercars quali times in spa. I wonder how will they perform in AMS2 :whistle:

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. F2020

F2020 Member

Of course mate.

I use these settings in Debug Tool...

Scroll past the ACC bit and you will see the guide for Debug. Also i run the Quest at its max internal res 5408*2736, but at 80hz. My settings in game are a mix of medium and high, with reflections at ultra so it doesn't pixelize the reflections on track when it rains. Also I turn off all of the effects like god rays and the like.

Steam Community :: Guide :: VR quality guide (+ Quest 2 & 3 in depth settings)

15. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

I think LMP2 in IMSA are a bit faster arent they? They didnt loose the front aero like in WEC.

16. neal

wrong thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Deviouz

Deviouz New Member

I wish game developers would allow to customize the ingame wheel and having most popular sim racing wheels to choose from. This combined with handtracking support would be great.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Bernd18995

Bernd18995 Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. neal

the wheel you see in the game should be the correct one from the car itself.

• Agree Agree x 10
  20. neal

already did that, but you are correct on specific channels,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.