Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

I agree, but the option to change it wouldn't hurt anyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Deviouz

Deviouz New Member

I respectfully disagree. I would find the option to change ingame wheel to my simagic fx wheel to greatly improve the experience and immersion in VR, as long as the wheel model would look good and believable. Developers adding the option would not obviously force anyone to use it.

I think there should be cockpit customization options even beyond this, buttonboxes, shifter knobs etcetc. Obviously not priority as far as development goes, but would be nice in VR.

If I owned a race car I would totally customize it to my liking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

And add hand tracking so the avatar’s hands would click the buttons in the game as you click them on your wheel

Hope Reiza finds time to implement mixed reality stuff like this when they consider the game finsihed otherwise

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Do you drive only F1 cars though ? If other stuff too then i don't think the F1 way should apply to every single car category, each should have different standards and it should also be different from driver to driver because everyone (obviously) fights differently.

If i am on the outside when on corner exit, i will keep holding the outside lane and not yield unless the driver who is barely ahead of me wants to spin himself out.

Like when this happened some time ago in a certain league i was in. I am the green / black car and the dude in the yellow said i should have yielded because by F1 rules he was ahead on corner exit, i said a big fat no to that one because we are not F1 drivers and he was not clear so he spun himself out and pushed me off too.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Mirko Pricoco

Mirko Pricoco Active Member

I am impressed on how this thread is going really slow! ;););)
    Anyway...December is closer guys! Get ready :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

And what do people who are out and about without VR see? If you deactivate the steering wheel in the game (which in my opinion is mandatory), you also have your own wheel that you can see. Whether it's VR or no VR, there should be the option to see the original or your own wheel in the future

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alexandre Costa

Alexandre Costa Active Member

Seeing the real car wheel in VR is one of the most immersive aspects of the simulation. Why bother changing it? Specially when there are hundreds of other things to improve in the game.
    Just try to develop a mechanical memory. When you play something with a gamepad you don't keep looking to it to find a specific button.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Don't worry, we're just on the comedown right now ;) Give it a month or so without any news and we'll all go stir-crazy again

9. Jinximuss

Jinximuss New Member

the f1 rules dont mean you can just turn into someone i think he was thinking of nascar

10. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

upload_2024-9-25_11-46-21.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Deviouz

Deviouz New Member

I find it kinda the opposite. For example the stock car wheel just looks huge compared to my simagic fx wheel. Doesnt feel realistic or that i am actually holding the ingame wheel.

12. TomLehockySVK

You cannot turn into someone in Nascar, there you have to be even more cautious when turning because you do NOT own a corner, you own a lane and if you are not clear you have to always stick to it until you are cleared. If you just hap-hazardly switch mid corner then this happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. TomLehockySVK

I do not understand why though ? Paddock club is not meant to be playing a game - you become pretty much a game tester. If you want to just play a game and enjoy it then it is not meant for you. And just knowing what is there is something we will all find out soon enough.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  14. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

There's plenty of people in the Beta who take testing seriously. Doesn't mean it can't be fun, though - this is still AMS2 we're talking about. I'd argue there's only a relatively small fraction in the Paddock Club who don't care about doing any testing and just want to have access to the newest toys and features before anyone else; that's my experience, anyways.

Me? I mostly used to do lots of (solo practice) vehicle and track testing in the public branch anyways, so switching over to beta and actually being able to turn that into something useful is a win-win for me.

Besides, you get to be part of the continued development of AMS2, even if it is just a small one. If there's just one more bug or imperfection squashed, one little improvement made every now and then because I reported it, then I'm happy - and I'm sure many others feels the same.

tl;dr I don't think @rmagid1010 meant to make fun of non-Beta participants nor degrade the work that most of the users with Beta access are doing.

EDIT: Also, the Beta is usually a straight-up improvement over the release version to such a degree that going back to the main branch can be hard to do. I know I haven't touched the release version in months.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

Since the seating position in VR and the game never covers all cars,
    it is really difficult to see the virtual steering wheel as the real one.
    At the same time, the camera in the vehicle moves up and down depending on the slope or inclination. This often gives you the feeling that you are not directly controlling the car but rather the player character who is controlling the car.

Sometimes it doesn't seem straight forward.
    However, you only notice this when you turn off the steering wheel and spend a few hours getting used to it.

When you switch back and forth (on/off) you feel like you're sitting on someone's lap instead of in the seat yourself. I didn't notice this until many years after I started using VR.

Ironically, without a steering wheel you have a greater long-term perspective. The hands always seem strange the longer you play. If you turn off these dimension breakers you will feel safer in the cockpit and will not be distracted.

In the real car, the brain actually automatically hides the hands, but with virtual hands, they always float in front of the eye in concentration. It's disturbing. These are very subtle things but can make an enormous difference. The hands and steering wheel are really cool to look at, but they secretly bother you when you dive in because after a short time you see them as foreign objects.

Just try it out yourself for a few hours...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. whokilledduncan

whokilledduncan Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Actually, it is made clear to those with beta access that testing is entirely optional. Many beta owners don't actively test at all or at least rarely report anything, and many bought in primarily to gain what amounts to a season pass. Absolutely correct though that they may find themselves playing a broken and unenjoyable game at times... ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Guys. Breathe in, breathe out. No pointing to and at each other. All you need is love <3

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bernd18995

Bernd18995 Member

aand Dev Update Pt. 3 *wink* :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 11
  19. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

He doesn’t write them

20. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Here is Dev Update Pt. 3:

I go to my empty bed, feeling lost, and I decide to sleep.
    Hours later, I shakily wake up from rushing thoughts and begin to weep.
    My heart is pounding quickly. Where is the update, I wonder
    It will come if I have patience, with applause and lots of thunder!

Thank you for reading,
    Marius.

ps. Yes, I made this myself. Corrected, added more and finished it ;)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.