Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stepy

Stepy Member

This was my plan as well but I didn`t realise it would be so long either so I`m back playing again.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Well he is the lead AI developer :D I guess he has a bit of a soft spot for AI in general, and gets a little more agitated than usual if the improvements made aren't seen...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Pales

Pales Member

It's his job to showcase these changes, and so far, the only noticeable improvement seems to be in AI stability (no more erratic weaving). What I'd really like to see are videos of the AI vs. AI actually battling one another and overtaking slower traffic, etc Will we get those previews? Time will tell. But based on what I've seen so far, it doesn’t look much different to the previous update, and the update before that, and the update before that.

I’d say I’m cautiously optimistic, but honestly, it's hard to ignore what I've seen already. We will see..

• Dislike Dislike x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Some commented on the fixed distance between AI cars...
    In AMS2, I do notice some lack of traffic harmonic effect, leading to a sense of constant "group formation". Blue Angels do that, it's a skill there, but not in (sim)racing :cool:.

Perhaps because of AI (that and the lack of a touch of unfiltered head roll and tilt), AMS2 is the sim I least feel accelerations.
    In the past, although not 'real', I sugested some wheel angle based head roll - it should be simple to implement and it gives great effect while turning (verified on sims that support it).

Anyway, I've been racing FU2@Monza lately and, with custom AI, the field seems to spread out nicely during the course of 35m races, despite those annoying hesitations already mentioned.

I don't know how AI is done in AMS2 and how hard is it to change it, but very soon we'll have someone making ML (weight based) AI decisions that will look like humans (yes, also including our stupidity :whistle:). And I guess it doesn't take many parameters to get good, natural, unpredictability to AI decisions.

Reiza, get LFM to save replays, you'll need that data!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

I'm happy. I'm don't give a &#_#_ for profissional streamers "reviews", "impressions" or "showcases".

I watch devs updates, random videos of gameplay, and try by myself. Steam have a refund option.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 5
  6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

This sums up what almost all real race cars feel like on dry pavement.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

True, the M1 Procar in V1.6 feels dangerous 100% of the time now though to me, I can crash it at any time, even when cruising. I do enjoy driving it though, just requires a lot of attention.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Torp_Torpedo

Torp_Torpedo Member

Any new Physics with the Karts?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

I understand and appreciate a lot of you care deeply for the game - so much so it can be a bit hard to deal with the level of personal investment from a growing community towards our work. People in this forum and especially in the Paddock can attest I occasionally lose my patience at the sheer level of anxiety around reactions or possible reactions to developments or lack thereof, but when the heat of the moment is down I realise and appreciate these emotions are usually born out of genuine care for the game and wanting it to succeed, to a degree that there is tangible anxiety about how it is perceived and how it needs to get better to get more people more to join you in recognizing its value. It´s a nice thing to have - to a degree.

Theres always been some negative tensions around AMS2 in the simracing community for various reasons including some of our own making, but then again that´s true for almost anything that gets any sort of reaction on the internet; they are not unimportant, but they don´t really impact the price of tea in China as much as people within the community tend to think it does.

Don´t get me wrong bad reviews or poor streams can have a negative impact especially if they are cumulative, but it´s seldom to the extent some here perceive it; if it were, we wouldn´t be here four years on growing from strentgh to strentgh and on the verge of our biggest release yet, enduring our fair share of doom and gloom all the way through :)

Talking about our own little community here, if you really care about AMS2, the reception of the upcoming release and contributing to the growth of the community, try avoid contributing to those tensions by not taking it so seriously; enjoy the antecipation for the release if you find that sort of thing enjoyable, or just sit it out until it arrives if yiou don´t; try have fun with it when it does, share with others what you find enjoyable about it; comment constructively, even repeatedly (but never hysterically) about its shortcomings new and old, while trying to keep under perspective it´s constantly evolving. Don´t engage or give crap to people that perhaps don´t see its value as you do, here and elsewhere. And if you eventually come to not actually enjoy it anymore yourself, move on to greener pastures - it´s not a spouse, you can come and go from it with no repercussions :)

It´s great to love and care deeply about something, be it a game, a movie or a piece of music - but one should never allow that attachment to grow beyond reason as then it is just not healthy, not for the community around it, not for the people producing the media or those creating content for / around it and certainly not for the individual in question; you all here should try to keep in mind you don´t actually have skin in this game, not only in the sense you don´t actually stand to gain or lose much from its success, you don´t possess the actual tactile sense to know whether it is succeeding or burning from the outside; getting all gloomy because of a reaction with such limited reach serves no good purpose other than perhaps impacting your and others´ ability to enjoy it for what fundamentally it is meant to be - a source for fun.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024
    • Like x 45
    • Winner x 17
    • Agree x 10
    • Friendly x 9
    • Creative x 1
  10. Djin

Djin Active Member

M1 is one of my favorites but it's slidey in 1.5. Does it feel more planted with 1.6 ? Do you feel connected with the M1 ?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Odd Socks

Odd Socks Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As a beta tester who mainly races long ( 2hours+ ) multi-class races, I was shocked at how bad the AI seemed to be in 1.5 when I went back to it.

A recent race I did at Daytona with LMDh, GT3g2 and GT5, I lost 3s a lap getting through the slower classes, as the AI managed to pass them quicker than me.

Keep the faith AMS2 brothers.

• Informative Informative x 12
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  12. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure how to describe it really, best you try it yourself when update finally comes out.

I find it quite rewarding to drive and no issues with feeling connected, just hard to get good and consistent lap times out of it without the car getting away from me and getting myself into all sorts of trouble. Probably a skill issue.

Edit: Crimson helped out :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hamady91

Hamady91 Member

So now that the stream of OT is passed what is the plan for the upcoming days about dev part 3 , live of other content creators and realese of 1.6 update

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Majestic

Majestic Member

Thank you for the work done, we are waiting and really hope that AMS2 will take a high place among all racing games. That AMS2 will have a sequel in the form of AMS3.:whistle:
    But while AMS3 is still very far away, we will be happy with v1.6:p
    I am only concerned about one thing: will we have time with the development before the start of the new LFM season, which is scheduled for October 7?
    What are our chances?:oops::oops::oops:

15. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd summarize it will be more "tacky" and violent and also more difficult to push hard. It still allows for some proper sliding when giving it throttle tho. When you try to exploit it, it will bite back with slow reaction by the driver.

Overall it's probably slightly more planted but still showing 70s slicks in action, they're a bit less wide in leniency for both front and rear wheels than 1.5 tho.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
  16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Is this true even if you, the player, complete a viable qualifying lap?

[EDIT: I see further posts to yours. My point being the button is designed to cut short a Q session, after you have a satisfactory Q lap, so you do not have to wait around in real-time for all the AI to finish theirs. It is not meant to fully simulate a Q session unless the intention is to not participate (and start at the back because you have no lap time).]

17. Jehuty

Jehuty Active Member

ENOUGH !

The only real issue is :
    Sebring : Where and when ?

My mental health depend on it.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Probably not as I expect that if you have a valid quali time and simulate the rest of the quali session, you will be at the position of your quali time (I have not tried it as I only simulate quali fully for having AI properly sorted by their performance for the race).

I wished that when there is no quali session configured, AI would be automatically sorted by their performance instead of being in random order for the race. Or that you could choose one or the other. The possible issue with random order is that slower AIs may cause problems to faster AIs behind them for overtaking, creating AI trains. Maybe it is less of a problem in v1.6 with better overtaking abilities, I have not tried that scenario. Still, in most real world races (bare maybe a few exceptions) race grids are sorted by driver best lap times.

19. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Sebring was opened for racing in December 31, 1950 while being built from an old airfield in the late 40s - The Sebring International Raceway is located in Highlands County, east of Sebring in Florida in the United States of America.

• Funny x 49
    • Winner x 5
    • Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Useful x 2
  20. Harry_Harras

Harry_Harras New Member

"skip to the end" is buggy as hell since ages, but it tends to sort the field after performance, if the AI has laptimes already, regardless of you having a time either.

I couldnt do AI races/championship without at least 20min qualification.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.