Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You will have to test it yourself, but I would say that the meaning of the statement is that they are easy to drive when you are not pushing to the limit, but they are more risky to bring to the edge, because the old META of throwing the car into the corner in a slide and deal with it afterwards isn't really working anymore.
    Before you could drive fast because of a good setup giving you exactly the right balance of car rotations or you could take the shortcut of exploiting the sliding with a poorly balanced car.
    Now, when you get to the limit, you need to control your aggression and sliding: first because the car will go away from you much easier and second because tires like that much less and will punish you more.
    As in the stream yesterday Yannick showed, it's easier to go that much further and find yourself not holding the car anymore. Before that, exaggerating was a bit more of a rewarding tactic

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I play using a Xbox 360 controller. Controller support is still the same, with the same issues, but the improved physics make the cars more predictable, so even though controller in AMS2 isn't as good as in AMS1 cars in 1.6 are more enjoyable to drive imo.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

I watched the preview of 1.6 from "Overtake" on YT. The guy did a training session and the AI still raced him like hell on their in- and outlap on straights. In the corners, they covered the line and blocked. So, from this little video, I could not see any difference to current release version.

Edit: But I have no idea which game settings he was using, as his face was above the UI all the time. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. RockettSally

RockettSally The Average AMS2 enjoyer

It's amusing to see people take full conclusions of the entire update upon few minutes of a rough stream.

Ahh, I love modern gaming.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. Emptyjar

Emptyjar Member

I mean the stream was over 2 hours long and showed quite a few flaws. Telling people to disregard the stream is very, “Don’t believe your own eyes! 1.6 is amazing, trust us!”

I am sure the truth is somewhere in the middle but telling people to disregard what they saw for themselves because a perfectly curated video from Reiza showed the AI doing well is pretty ridiculous.

We’re just going to need to see for ourselves because at this point these teasers and updates are causing more harm than good, imo.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis Active Member

Here's an idea then, how about DON'T do a rough stream; do a professional, well thought-out one instead.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Les expos de mtl

Les expos de mtl Member

But is it the real 1,6 version he was playing or something else. They really need to release it to find out. People have their opinion about am2. But the way they hype us, make no release window or don’t respect it, few dev update on this obscur forum, Come on ! Take exemple of le man ultimate. You have something to show, 1 week later you release or be silence. Soon, almost release, so close to release it all fake hype no concrete window. Why not just say a window, like you know when it 1 week of release. By the way, you are my favorite secondary game of all my sim. The kind of game I use as my gran turismo a friday night. So I love your game very much. But your communication is lacking. Its was a big 8 month developpment so I get it all the stres the team have. Just new time if you have a september dev update make a better window release please

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. tsumo

tsumo New Member

I don't exactly think the plan from Reiza, nor Overtake, was to have a rough stream. The unfortunate thing about reality is that things often do not work out well, and a lot lined up to wind up perfectly sour for that stream, from the short notice to the stream outage (which could have happened even if they had a strict plan and did a lot of testing or whatever). By that point the people at Overtake were probably pretty flustered already, which likely wasn't helped by the fact a lot of the early chatters were being pretty damn rude about every misstep.
    We can wax on about how they could've done a video first or whatever, but Reiza likely had a vision in mind that required the inherent risks of a live-stream, which they sadly ran into there several times in a row (some of it potentially unavoidable).

I can understand a little bit of whinging about the stream considering how it went, but the way a lot of people are droning on and on about it without any tact is pretty unnecessary in my opinion. I've been the effective PR lead for a small game dev team before, and it's pretty crushing when something like this happens, even without a mob of people bitching and acting like you're running into a bunch of mishaps on purpose, or because someone is incompetent and ruined the free **** people have put their time, effort, and passion into; instead of acknowledging the reality that things can and will go wrong, whether it's developing the game itself, or doing something for marketing.

I don't mean to get all mini-mod-y or anything, but the refusal to move on from a couple mistakes is basically my worst nightmare resurfacing, and I wasn't part of anything commercial or of a slightly comparable scale to AMS2.
    Basically, just keep in mind no one wanted this to happen, and beating a dead horse isn't necessary; nor useful to Reiza, or OT.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. FlashQld

FlashQld New Member

I understand but it's close to 15 pages of bashing. I think they get it. There have been some great posts but to come here and read negativity all the time. How Reiza has got it wrong, people judging the update by a not so great stream that I didn't even see myself. But this should be a positive place, looking forward to the update.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Andrew Curtis

Andrew Curtis Active Member

It's easy to say that "no one wanted it to go badly", but if you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. So ACT like you want it to go well, preparation and research aren't hard.

Would it have killed Reiza to tell Overtake that they couldn't do a livestream until they've had the update for a week, to make sure sufficient time was taken to become familiar with the product - again none of this is 200 IQ territory.

11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Making assumptions surely isn't the way to go at this point ;)

I think it's time to move on guys, everything has been said a barrage of posts ago already - things didn't went silky smooth, there will be further stuff coming. It's going in circles now.

Thanks!

• Agree x 16
    • Like x 4
    • Dislike x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
  12. Emptyjar

Emptyjar Member

But…. But…. That is all that we currently have to talk about.

What are we supposed do, go play the game? I don’t think so, bub! I prefer to talk about my sim racing games on Internet forums, not drive them!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a shame because there's a lot of cool stuff going on in the racing game world right now. Gran Turismo 4 Spec II mod recently cane out which has been the most fun I've ever had playing the game, along with BeamNG's most recent update making significant progress with both the career mode and Vulken Renderer! Those two combined is already more than enough content to hold us over until 1.6. I know it's a bit off topic, but those two coming out is genuinely a one-two punch of top-tier video game content and is such a nice change of pace compared to dedicated simracing titles

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GabDeto

GabDeto New Member AMS2 Club Member

In the meanwhile im waiting 1,6, I am playing automobilista 1 with gp2 mod, and also have a lot of fun

• Like Like x 3
  15. Leen-q

Leen-q Member

There are quite a lot of fans of iracing ACC AC and LMU, many of them are very negative about the competition of other racing sims like AMS2. I think they are afraid of competition and they are going to make themselves strong via a website and a reviewer Yanik who was never a fan of AMS2 and get confirmation from such a crappy review. They know better but will never admit it, well they don't want to shoot down their holy racing sim, I think it's quite pathetic. They know they not fair but they will keep their illusions alive so I let them en read those comment with a big smil on my face. This race sim brings me so much joy in racing especially on single player races, no other race sim give me this joy. And wait till AC EVO arrives they will do the same thing again, they shoot themseves in their own feet with this kind of reviews

Last edited: Sep 28, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

I was happy to see Road Atlanta and the Alpine in action. Certainly, the live could have been of better quality but I tend to retain the positive. We finally got a partial preview of the long-awaited update. I'm looking forward to this and hope to have other lives soon. I would secretly hope to see the Acura drive into Detroit..

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Is it really that good? I've been thinking on trying it, GT4 was my favorite back then.

18. mansell

mansell Active Member

watched the "exclusive" v1.6 preview in overtake.gg
    well, it could be worse, reiza
    i believe some people here would do it MUCH better.
    good thing is unlisted on YT, great if deleted

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Majestic

Majestic Member

Okay, since they don’t answer whether we will make it before the new LFM season, or will we have to wait for the next one (by the end of autumn), I went to buy a subscription to iR for at least a month in order to somehow reduce the wait for v1.6.
    The wait has been prolonged and it is exhausting, taking away strength...

• Disagree x 6
    • Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 2
    • Agree x 2
  20. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

I think you made the right choice, the best way to wait is focusing on other stuff in the meanwhile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.