Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.Ives

T.Ives Professional Dilly Dallier

Plus there is another image where you can literally see the sign that says Sebring !

2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Thanks m8. :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Default+ is a great FFB, for sure. As I said recently I could live forever with it, but it wasn't always like that... there was a time I had a hard time reading it, for me, it was awful and I started my journey... ;)
    Another check mark completed in AMS2 life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You missed the first part of the advice--don't use wheel software and hardware settings other than the bare minimum necessary (especially any "drift"-related!!). It is those settings that ruin and distort the FFB (on every game, by the way).

For mechanical wheels, there are typically very few settings. Just set force/strength to 100/maximum and use the Gain slider in the game to pull it back to what is a good level. Ensure all other settings are off or at a neutral setting. Neutral meaning linear or base.

DD wheels are the main problem, because when you spend so much on a wheel, you want fancy control panels and so forth to go with it to help justify the cost. Manufacturers want to differentiate themselves with software, since the hardware is so similar. Just like audio equipment, the most expensive and best quality has a volume knob and nothing else. Cheap crap has a 20-bar equalizer and three or four tone controls so you can spend hours distorting professionally engineered recordings with your own "preferences." ;)

So, for a DD wheel, you may have to study a bit to determine how to turn all the crap off and make sure it is actually set to the most neutral state. Some amount of basic friction may be needed, but you'll have to experiment. I would try literally turning it all off as the starting point, and only add if there is a consistent issue across multiple sims. For example, if multiple sims all cannot be calmed when using proper in-game settings, then I would add a small amount of friction (called various different things) to confirm whether that resolves the issue.

Think of the wheel settings as a generic blunt instrument--good for console kiddie games and such that are often programmed for controllers and where wheels are an afterthought (I have been dumb enough to buy a few of those over the years). AMS 2, and to be honest, any competitive sim we ever discuss here, is programmed and fine-tuned to show its best qualities on FFB wheels. Assume the devs understand how FFB works and have allowed for in-game tuning that will best suit the characteristics of the game and the engine it is built upon.

I have always taken this approach, but it has been my pleasure over the years to provide small amounts of help to the Reiza team on car-specific FFB. I know how much sweat and tears goes into hand-tuning every single vehicle in the game. So just like a professionally-engineered music recording, I think of it as an insult to not at least try the undistorted version of what the "artist" is trying to present to me before mucking around with it. Not surprisingly, even back before the FFB was in the terrific state that it is now, I never had to adjust the FFB per car to balance things. As I said back then, over and over, if you have to do this, it is a sign your basic settings are incorrect or unoptimized. Today, it is 100% sure that all cars in AMS 2 are carefully and relatively tuned prior to release. You can feel the difference in some WIP cars that haven't had the process applied yet...they might feel strangely too light or too heavy.

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. roemer7000

roemer7000 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not familiar with this thread and don't know where my livery-video belongs either. @Racinglegend1234 You can put it in the right thread if you want. You're always so nice, so I tagged you. Just wanted to show my great RSR to the community...:)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

This thread is for the 1.6 update not random videos

Those go here
    Need. More. Videos! C'mon guys!

Also he is not a mod

• Like Like x 2
  7. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I got a T300RS GT and long ago i found the rFuktor 5013 version custom FFB and it is absolutely amazing how it transforms the feeling of the cars ! I have never felt more control and acurate behavior of cars than i do since i started using that specific ffb.

• Like Like x 3
  8. roemer7000

roemer7000 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you! :)

9. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

The slogan on the spoiler is VERY metal!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Community service it is.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

I also try to educate people towards the use of linear settings, but manufacturers also don't provide methods and tools to calibrate the base to the wheel, allowing a base line to be created.
    That's why I can't tell Fanatec or Simagic users what settings should they use, less so for a specific FFB file (shouldn't the wheel base setting be the same for all files and all games? :whistle:)

Also...
    How can I know the Default+ I get with Moza is the same a Fanatec user receives?
    How do I know Moza is not adding stuff based on telemetry?
    I know if I force my FullFFB to "0" I get nothing out of the wheel, but Moza software requires game configuration? For what?

upload_2024-10-7_7-20-21.png

Besides, people don't like the true, the reference, they do like preference, often injected by marketing buzz, 'stories' (as Harari put it).
    How many people buy a DD wheel base to have details, real life FFB, and then don't want to feel bumps and road noise because it's distracting and just keep the basic smooth tyre feeling, because it's easier to drive? :confused:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Very nice

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Jehuty

Jehuty Active Member

June update is missing in the forum ? I can't find it .

14. Racinglegend1234

Check at the bottom of the pinned threads

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Jehuty

Jehuty Active Member

Thanks ... I'm so dumb sometimes. Sorry for that .

16. Tony Binelli

Tony Binelli Active Member AMS2 Club Member

we do
    [Mod Edit: No links to ripped content from other titles please, can't be allowed on the official Reiza platform]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2024
  17. kivipallur1

kivipallur1 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, we do. It's a great track and deserves official representation :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

With 1.6 being the overall "game update" that everyone will be getting, what are peoples thoughts on how the new content drops will be done?

Are people expecting one big DLC pack or do you thing we are we going to get a little bit at a time?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Racinglegend1234

I can’t tell you how they’re doing it, but the way they’re doing it makes a lot of sense IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

I don't know but these are my guesses:

• Endurance Pack 2 - no longer sure how many this will include, but minimum of the 2x LMDh and 3x GT3s
    • IMSA Track Pack - 3x tracks

I really hope they're not going to drag the releases of those over a couple of months and allow us to buy them shortly after the patch drops, like the last couple.

A couple of times in the past they allowed the content to be available to all to try for free immediately after the patch and before the Steam product for the DLC was in place.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.